20 Fun & Interesting Facts about Tennessee
1. In the early years of the state Tennessee was experiencing growing pains with the local Cherokee Indians. So, they setup treaty negotiations in the City of Kingston for the resolution of the issues. The Cherokees refused to recognize Nashville as the capitol, so Kingston Tennessee was named the capital of the state for a 1 full day. Treaty negotiations were resolved in that time period.
2. Tennessee state slogan is “Volunteer State” This is because during the war of 1812 in the battle of New Orleans. The Tennessee regiment went in and fought with more valor, bravery, and dedication then the other soldiers.
3. Andrew Johnson held about every political position possible in the state of Tennessee. He started out as an Aldermen, Mayor, legislator, Governor, then finally president after current president was assassinated
4. Tennessee is home to one of the country’s largest copper mines. It is so large that astronauts have been known to see it from the earth orbit.
5. Tennessee has one of the largest known National Guard stations in the U.S. There were more part time guard members called up from the state of Tennessee than anywhere else in the Union.
6. The largest county in the country that has more horses than people population is in Shelby County. Many national and regional championship horses are bred here, every year.
7. During the civil war, the state of Tennessee was evenly divided in their support for the confederacy and for the Union. So, much so that to honor all the fallen soldiers the city of Greenville, Tennessee erected a monument in honor of the fallen soldiers of both armies.
8. There has been only one person American History to hold the top spots in the armed forces. Sam Cater was both an Admiral in the Navy and General in the Army.
9. The exact center of the state of Tennessee is at Middle Tennessee State University, in Murfreesboro Tennessee.
10. The largest park in the state of Tennessee is the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. This park holds some of the largest Conifer trees outside of Canada.
11. Davy Crockett is an old time American Hero. If, you have ever listened to the song about Davy Crockett, it says that was born in the mountains of Tennessee. However, he was actually born in Greenville, Tennessee
12. The first woman to ever serve in the prestigious position as senator was Hattie Caraway. She server in the United States Senate for over 5 terms.
13. The largest freshwater aquarium in the US is located In Tennessee. It holds the largest collection of fresh water animals in the world.
14. The New Madrid earthquake fault runs the length of the Mississippi river in the center of the US. This fault is not as active as others. However, it has been recorded that some of the largest earthquakes ever reported have originated in this area
15. Realfoot Lake in Tennessee it’s the largest turtle lake in the world. There are thousands of reported species of turtles that call this freshwater lake home.
16. The longest radio broadcast to continuously run since 1925 originates in Nashville. Every Saturday night the Grand O’ Opry, broadcast its world famous program that can be heard on AM and FM bands.
17. The most famous railroad engineer Casey Jones. Lived in Jacksonville, Tennessee Jacksonville is also where he died which his train crashed in the early 1900s
18. The first atomic bomb was researched and developed in oak ridge Tennessee. Today it is the energy capital of the world and continues to do research in many alternative forms of energy.
19. Tennessee is a cave dwellers dream. With, over 5000 miles of underground caves that can be explored you can see some of the first natural formations of the inner earth.
20. Tennessee was very well split on the topic of the civil war. Some of the sentiment can still be felt in certain areas. However, they did eventually split from the union as the last remaining undecided state of the civil war
More by this Author
Nicaragua is the land of traditions, history and culture that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Lets take a look at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Nicaragua one of the best countries in the...
Panama is full of history, traditions, and culture that present the world with a new and unique perspective. Lets take a lok at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Panama great.
Fun facts about guatemala, everything you ever wanted to know about guatemala