20 Fun and Interesting Facts on Uruguay
1. When Uruguay established first government after the civil war with Spain. It chose to become a constitutional republic modeled after the United States.
2. The majority of people in Uruguay share a common Spanish ancestry yet about one-third of the population has Italian origins.
3. Prior to colonization the residents of Uruguay were the Charrua Indians. When the Spanish conquistadores finally entered Uruguay in search of gold and silver deposits there were many uprising against these new invaders.
4. The capitol of Uruguay is Montevideo originally founded in the eighteenth century as a military stronghold by the Spanish colonizers.
5. Jose Gervasio Artigas was a Uruguayan hero because of his strong stance in the independence war in early 1825 against brazil after Portugal annexed it to them
6. Even though the country of Uruguay adopted the constitutional republic there was still much opposition against it. So they adopted a resolution which changed some of the framework of the constitution in Uruguay in 1966
7. Uruguay readjusted the Electoral College in the country in 1999. This helped the country establish new governing rules for elected presidents coming to power.
8. There are two traditional national parties and branches in Uruguay the National ("Blanco") and Colorado parties, which were founded in the early 19th century
9. Uruguay is a country full of exotic exports of foods, metals, and consumer goods. Currently the largest of its exports is agricultural products as which constitutes 70% current exports
10. Uruguay supports the UN with most of its armed forces in peace keeping missions around the globe
11. The Uruguayan flag has nine strips and a sun in the upper left hand corner with a human face
12. The word for Uruguayan cowboys in Spanish is Gauchos
13. Uruguay has one of the highest literary rates in the world hovering close to 98% of the population
14. Uruguay is most notable for its meat its meat imported between Argentina and the US is high delicacy
15. The leading sport in Uruguay is soccer. Soccer has quickly become the leading sport in Uruguay after its inception in 1909
16. Uruguay is the smallest country in the world in terms of population to win a FIFA cup in the 1930s. It still has one of the smallest populations in the world based on land mass of the country.
17. The major religion in Uruguay is Roman Catholic followed by a variety of different religions. The country of Uruguay allows the freedom of religion thanks to the ratification of the constitution in 1966
18. About 4 million people live in Uruguay the majority 3.5 million live in the largest city Montevideo, Which is one of the largest capitols in South America outside of Brazil
19. There is a high standard of living in Uruguay. Many think of Uruguay as a third world country when in fact it has many of the same modern infrastructure of first world countries
20. The major trading partners with Uruguay is Brazil and Argentina they provide direct trade of agricultural products because of Uruguay’s fertile land
- Uruguayan Culture
There are many ways to enjoy and immerse yourself in this wonderfully diverse country in South America. Uruguay is the second smallest country in South America with Brazil bordering it to the north, its only land border.
- Top Ten Places To Visit in Uruguay
Top Historical Places To Visit in Uruaguay
Uruguay is located in the heart of South America between Argentina and Brazil. So many people assume that since it is a small country it must not have the traditional history or culture that compares to the others. Well lets explore this little hide
- Legends of Uruguay -- Calle de los Suspiros and Montevideo
Legends of Uruguay -- Calle de los Suspiros and Montevideo
- Welcome | ExpatCrossing.com
Welcome to ExpatCrossing. com!This is newest website dedicated to the Expatriate Community. If you are moveing international, transitioning oversea...
More by this Author
Chile is full of tradition, history, and culture that make it one of the most interesting countries on earth. Here, are some of the top fun and interesting facts about chile
Argentina offers the world rich history, traditions, and culture. Lets take a look at some of the fun and interesting facts that make Argentina a great country
Many mysteries in the World are still Mysteries. They attract us because of the unknown element in which they possess. Let’s take a look at the mystery of the Nazca Lines