20 Signs You are Overpacking for Your Vacation
Time to Prepare!
Thank goodness it is that time of year again - vacation time! We've all been restless all year and trapped inside for too long. Thankfully, you no longer have to sit around resenting your co-workers, friends, and family. Instead, it is time to take a trip (potentially with some of them).
A vacation can be essential when you need to unplug from all of the problems and mundane activities of your daily life. If you are going on a vacation, I highly recommend you really do "unplug" while you are there. A vacation is truly no fun if you have to pick up your cell phone every hour to answer questions regarding work. When you know you are going on vacation, do your best to prepare co-workers before you leave. Make sure they are aware of any issues that could occur during your absence. Also, make sure to get as many tasks done as possible so you can go on a stress-free trip.
Once you have the work situation resolved, it is time to pack. Some people even like to start packing weeks in advance. If this makes you feel more comfortable, by all means, do so. It is your vacation and if pre-planning makes the vacation less stressful, then packing weeks in advance is a great idea.
You do want to keep in mind not to overpack. When you are leaving for a standard vacation (one week or less), there are a number of items you must pack. Since I would like to pretend this information is at least semi-helpful to the reader, a list of items you should always bring are: clothing, shoes, sunscreen, medications, and bathroom supplies. Of course, depending on where you are going, there are always other items you must purchase in advance, such as camping equipment. However, it is important to not overpack. It is a common problem and it can happen to anyone.
20 Signs You are Overpacking for Your Vacation:
- You find yourself starting to pack your window unit air conditioner since you aren't sure you'll like the one at the hotel.
- You decide to bring along your sheets and comforter because it matches your luggage.
- You have about 4 suitcases just for you and you can't get either of them to zip shut.
- You want fresh water, so you take your Brita pitcher along with the Brita purifier that hooks to the sink.
- You decide to bring some fans just in case it is a little warm. You are going skiing in the mountains.
- You decide to bring bear repellent in case a grizzly bear should come to attack your family. You are vacationing at Disney World.
- I have four words for you: bringing your own pool!
- You own a mini-van that easily seats 7 people. You only have 3 people in the van, yet you cannot squeeze another item in.
- You want your pets to go on the vacation with you. You have 3 dogs, 2 cats, a canary, a turtle, a hamster, and fish. You've even invested in a more "portable" fish tank.
- You can't bear the thought of leaving the houseplants at home. You have 8 houseplants loaded in the car.
- You've basically cleared out the food aisles at Walmart and you are trying to find space in the trunk for everything.
- You can't decide what you would like to read on the trip, so you figure checking out about a dozen books at the library is pretty reasonable.
- You are taking all your nail polish to match any of the outfits you've brought with you.
- It's a four day vacation and you are bringing 10 pairs of shoes.
- You are baking a cake to take along. No one is having a birthday during this trip.
- You are packing a tent, sleeping bag, and hiking gear "just in case." You are vacationing in New York City.
- You pack the DVD player and about 20 DVDs. This is just in case it rains and you decide to stay in a bit.
- You started packing for this trip around 5 months ago.
- You gave up on suitcases long ago. Instead, you are using boxes, packing tape, and giant trash bags.
- You are considering actually bringing the kitchen sink.
More Vacation Hubs:
- 13 Signs You Need a Vacation
Do you need a vacation? Are you really stressed? Maybe you need some assistance determining how much you need a vacation. Well, you need to read the 13 Signs You Need a Vacation.
- 20 Signs You are Staying at a Bad Motel
It is the time of year to start planning some vacations. If you are planning to stay at a motel, do yourself a favor and put some research into it. After all, you don't want to stay at a terrible place.
- Let's Go to the Beach!
Are you ready for the summer? Is it time to hit the beach? Even if you can't physically go to the beach, you can visit the beach in this hub. You might also want to visit one of the beaches on this list when you get a chance.
Do you usually pack too much for your vacation?See results without voting
More by this Author
If you live on the East Coast or plan on visiting, you should check out the beach. Some of the best beaches are located in New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia.
Are you considering moving to Maryland? If so, you should find out some of the great reasons to move to the fun and quirky town of Towson, Maryland.
Hamsters are well known for being escape artists. If your pet hamster does escape, here are some tips for finding your missing pet.