A HubPages Portal to Georgia: City Reviews, Careers, and Travel
Award Winning Cities
The State of Georgia is full of historic places. exciting tourist attractions, and award-winning cities.
Georgia is also a state of increasing jobs and new businesses, with specific cities experiencing marked economic, employment, and travel related growth from January 1, 2008 to June 1, 2010 and on into President Barack Obama's second term in 2013.
Useful travel information, business forecasts, job listings, and interesting links are offered below for travel and relocation in Georgia.
Fox Theater, Atlanta
The Best Place to Move for Work in America
City Reviews, Top Cities:
- Alpharetta, Georgia became the Best Place to Move for Work in America , Number One among the 25 top cities named by Forbes.com in 2009. As a northern suburb of Atlanta, Alpharetta is joined by two other nearby suburbs, Roswell and Sandy Springs in the 15th and 23rd sports, respectively. All three cities are growing fast and expanding to meet one other's borders. In fact, the area in the Atlanta - Gainesville megalopolis are filling in more densely with residents and businesses and is looking increasingly more like one major super-city. Transportation infrastructure improvements help make this possible and the area owes a lot to the MARTA light rail system.
- Roswell and Sandy Springs- These two cities are suburbs of Atlanta that are expanding quickly in both population and new business enterprises.
- Atlanta- This large city is the anchor of a huge metropolitan area called Atlanta-Gainesville, Gainesville being the second metro anchor city. Atlanta is popularly known as HOTLANTA for its attractions, shopping, and events. Undergound Atlanta is a city beneath a city, full of shops, theaters, and other successful businesses. Read about the inventio of Coca Cola® here.
- Gainesville- This large city is east of Atlanta in the metro area of which both are anchors. Jobs have increased by 40% from early 2008 to mid-2009, and many jobs are available in Healthcare, particularly in Physical and Occupational Therapy and Nursing. Sales jobs are also increasing in number.
- Surprising job increases are being seen consistently about 90 miles to the northwest of Atlanta-Gainesville: Top 15 Hot Jobs In Summerville - Rome GA.
Map of Part of Chattanooga Valley Area
- Albany- Albany, Georgia is the home of celebrity musician Ray Charles and his commemorative Ray Charles Plaza in the revitalized Downtown Area by the waterfront. They top jobs in this metro area surround Healthcare and Retail/Restaurant Management. From January 2008 - July 2009, jobs increased in number by 15% in Albany.
- Athens - From January 2008 - July 2009, the number of jobs in Athens increased a giant 160%. Top job listings are for openings for Physical and Occupational Therapists and Assistants, Sales, Nurses, and Speech Pathologists.
- Augusta - Jobs Increased in Augusta 34% January 2008 - July 2009. The three largest employers in this city are 1) the Savannah River Site for nuclear power, operated by Westinghouse; 2) Fort Gordon - United States Army Signal School & Eisenhower Medical Center; and 3) The Medical College of Georgia. Jobs through 2016 are predicted to continue to increase and to involve many new openings in Healthcare, IT, and Education careers.
- Chattanooga Valley - Jobs within 25 miles of the town of Summerville in this metro area have increased 479% from January 2008 - July 2009. The place called "Chattanooga Valley" is a "census-designated place" in Walker County, Georgia. The larger Chattanooga Valley statistical area incorporates a significant portion of Northwestern Georgia, including Summerville. Jobs in this area through 2016 are estimated to include increasing numbers of openings in Healthcare, Food Service, Sales, and Education. Jobs available in quantity during September 2009, for example, included Healthcare, Installation & Repair, and Retail.
- Columbus - Columbus, Georgia is another city that offers a number of job openings. There was no net loss of jobs overall from January 2008 - July 2009, despite a national recession in 2008-2009. Most jobs 2009 - 2012 and forecast openings include Healthcare Professions and IT/Computers.
Blue Ridge Art Center
- Blue Ridge - Blue Ridge, Georgia is an outstanding vacation site, especially fior people that enjoy the out of doors, lodges and cabins in the scenic countryside, and a variety of good fishing.
- Dalton - Jobs increased 18% in Dalton over the 18 months ending July 1, 2009, in a wide range of occupations, from Food Service and Banking to Healthcare, especially Physical Therapists, to Retail Sales, Store Management, and Electrical Engineering.
- Hinesville-Fort Stewart - Jobs increased 58% here in the 18 months from January 2008 - July 2009. These jobs include IT Analysts, Physical Therapists and Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Training Consultants, Speech Pathologists, Nurses, and Store/Retail Associates.
- Macon - A job increase of 141% was realized in Macon during the 18 months following January 1, 2009. These are largely in Healthcare, Sales, and Food Service, although the US Department of the Interior has icnreased job listings as well.
- Rome - Jobs increased 79% in the same 18-month period above, most often in Healthcare occupations.
- Savannah - Jobs have increased 364% in Savannah in the same 18 months mentioned above, in Healthcare, Banking, and Sales.
- Valdosta - Jobs increased 39% in 18 months, with most openings in Heathcare and Sales.
- Warner Robins - Jobs increased here as well, by 183%. Most job vacancies and new positions are found in Nursing, Physical and Occupational Therapy, Patient Technicians, Marketing, IT, Food Service, and Sales.
TOP JOB LISTINGS IN GEORGIA
Job titles listed most often around the state include:
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Sales Representatives
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Family Practice Physicians
- Part-Time Physical Therapists
- Store Managers
- Marketing / Pr / Advertising jobs
- Account Executives
- Patient Services Technician Specialists
- Assistant Store Managers
- Internal Medicine Physicians
- Taco Bell Assistant Managers
- Taco Bell Shift Leaders
The Georgia Cities offering the highest numbers of jobs openings are:
- Atlanta, GA - A full 1/3 of all jobs available in the state are in and around Atlanta.
- Alpharetta - Best Place to Move for Work in America , per Forbes.com in 2009.
- Roswell - One of the Forbes Top 25 Best Places to Move for Work .
- Rome - The largest job increases have occurred in Rome, Summerville and the rest of the Chattanooga Valley statistical area in the state.
- Georgia's official tourism and travel website - Explore Georgia
ExploreGeorgia.org is Georgia's official tourism website, with travel ideas, planning tools and exclusive special offers. Everything you need to find and plan a great Georgia vacation, including places to stay, things to do and events in Georgia.
- Atlanta Travel Guide - Atlanta, Georgia Attractions, Events, Packages & More
Official Atlanta, Georgia travel guide. Find details on Atlanta events, attractions, dining, shopping, vacation packages, accommodations and more from the Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau.
- Visit Coastal Georgia
Guide to Georgia''s colonial coast, including Savannah, Richmond Hill, Brunswick, the Golden Isles, St. Marys, Waycross and the Okefenokee Swamp.
Relocation to Georgia
- georgia.gov - Relocate to Georgia
Welcome to georgia.gov, the State of Georgia's official website. For online access to Georgia government.
- City of Atlanta Cost of Living Calculator. Georgia--Atlanta Relocation Calculator & Index.
Atlanta Cost of Living Calculator. City of Atlanta, Georgia Relocation Calculator & Index. Georgia Atlanta Cost of Living comparison. Compare the living cost and wages among cities. Percentage difference for Atlanta relocation allowance.
- Relocation Atlanta GA Georgia, Moving + Jobs - City Guide
Moving Companies, Relocation Atlanta GA Georgia, Moving, Relocation guide Apartments, Jobs, Home, Real Estate, Rental, MLS, Schools
More by this Author
Cherry Springs State Park is a showplace for the Northern Lights. Every 11 years, sunspot activity increases to maximum, allowing the Northern Lights to be seen even more often.
Peachtree City near Atlanta is on Money Magazine's list of Best Places to Live in America. Find out why here...
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!