Amazing Travels in the Philippines - Island of Bohol
Personally, I haven't been to Bohol. My inland travels in the Philippines are but just limited in the main island of Luzon, although I've landed on another shores at different countries as a seafarer.
What I'm going to share here is a first-person account, through photography, of my friend Khela, on what transpired when she and her office mates experienced island-hopping early this year.
Their sole destination is the beautiful island of Bohol!
What comes to mind when you hear the name of Bohol? Now, let's collate some important data from existing files in history of the Philippines. Here's what you'll find when you google the name of this island.
- Residents of Bohol already had a culture of their own (as evidenced by the artifacts dug in important locations) before the colonizers settled in the island. They are called "pintados" or tattooed ones.
- The islanders can claim that the seat of international treaty of peace and unity (like the ideals of United Nations) between the native king Datu Sikatuna and Spanish conquistador (colonizer) Miguel Lopez de Legazpi happened here on March 16, 1565 (based from Julian calendar or March 25 at present time (happened to be my birthday). Today, it is being celebrated as Sandugo Festival or Blood Compact.
- The longest revolution happened in the island through the leadership of Francisco Dagohoy (from 1744-1829). It's a very important nugget in the Philippine history.
- Carlos P. Garcia, the 8th president of the country was born here.
- Napoleon Abueva, the famous sculptor and National Artist is also a native of this island.
- Cesar Montano (one of the famous Filipino actors aka Jose Rizal look-alike), Mutya Buena (SugaBabes member, a British Pop Act), Luke Mijares (former front man of South Border band), Nonito Donaire (world boxing champion) are among the famous islanders who are making waves in the entertainment and sports.
- Awesome scenery can be found here, with the Chocolate Hills in the view or the elusive Tarsier monkeys or the cool waters of Panglao beach and a lot more!!!
Since, Bohol was a former part of Cebu, the bigger island (and also famous for beaches and dolphins-sighting area), island-hopping will keep you breathless, like what my friend experienced.
Bohol consists of the main island and many islets, where occasional, abrupt rain downpour will make your native motorboat bouncing on occasional highs and lows of waves' crests and troughs.
The travel will be exhilarating but my friend quipped that she became sore all over, due to constant walking, taking pictures, going to the beach and being exposed at the island's daytime activities.
When she went back in Manila, we anticipated on how their tour transpired.
Pictures may paint thousand words, but a first-person account is more interesting to hear as she reviewed and spilled out what really happened.
Important things that you can see and appreciate in BoholClick thumbnail to view full-size
Map of Bohol
Bohol is a very signicant Visayan island when it comes to the history of the Philippines.Blood Compact happened here between Spaniards and the locals.
Hotels and Restaurants in Bohol
Khela didn't forget to check out the most affordable food for her group and the affordable hotel she can recommend. She said it is already included in the itinerary or the travel package they've availed a month before their actual travel.
Brochures about Bohol's delicacies (seafoods, sweets and all) abound once you step out of the plane.
I may not name the hotels or lodging houses or cottage houses that you can inquire there or the name of the local food dishes that you can eat, but I assure you, people there in Bohol are very hospitable.
Happy trip to you!!!
Khela's adventure in Bohol
Khela's adventure in Bohol left a fulfilling journey in her life. Her first job opens an opportunity to be with a group of people whose positivism influenced her.
This abrupt week-long vacation in Bohol, renewed her enthusiasm to work harder on her first job.
With lots of stories shared after going home and to her job as well, I asked her permission to use her photos to entice you in coming to this part of the country.
You can travel by air and water, but there's always a promo going on at the local airlines. Let's say, a package tour for 10 persons plus hotel accommodation will lure tourists to go there in a positive way.
Clean fun is always expected to all tourists, whether foreigners or locals. Most of the sites that you can see are protected by environmental laws and regulations of the country. Endangered species, like the smallest monkey in the world, known as Philippine Tarsier and the Chocolate Hills are among the most-visited and appreciated sites in the island.
Khela's adventure in BoholClick thumbnail to view full-size
What you can do in Bohol
More Amazing Travels in the Philippines
- I Recommend the Aliwan Festival in the Philippines
The Philippines is known for its many festivals and/or fiestas. There is one going on practically every month among the major regions of the Philippines. So if you are travelling the Philippines, it would be...
- Boracay White Beach, in the Philippines -- One of th...
Boracay White Beach, Philippines -- One of the Worlds Best Where is Philippines located? Philippines is a country surrounded by bodies of water and is located in South East Asia. It is surrounded by large ocean namely Pacific Ocean, South...
- The Beautiful Banaue Rice Terraces, a Must Visit Pla...
Banaue Rice Terraces is a place youmust visit in the Philippines. One of the most beautiful spots that people from other countries are dying to see in the Philippines is the, Banaue Rice Terraces- pronounced ba-na-we, a scene that touches the heart..
More by this Author
I've been to some major ports of east and west coasts of USA. With online information and brochures given by ship's visitors whenever we are loading or discharging cargoes, I was able to merge the data into this hub....
My first-ever hub regarding my travel outside the country. It's Kandalaksha, Russia -dubbed as the place where the sun never sleeps.
Aside from raising your own children, or just starting a family, why not indulge yourself into another interesting hobby: raising herds of ducks in your own home at your backyard? This will be suitable for you while...