The Razorback State, Home Of Arkansas Travelers Women's Basketball
Quality of Life In Arkansas
The Governor of Arkansas, Asa Hutchinson, asks the population of his state to help him in righting some inconsistencies in the quality of daily life. The two segments of people he wants his constituents to help are children in the foster care system and ex-felons ready to reenter society and hold down responsible jobs.
His idea is to call a project that targets both groups "Restore Hope." Governor Hutchinson means to improve the quality of life for all by bringing more jobs to his state, but also through helping children find good homes with permanent families and helping ex-felons to find long term employment. (Reference: TV11, August 25, 2015.)
When I worked under the old JTPA, or Job Training Partnership Act, funds were available at the county level for education and employment training for non- custodial parents and ex-felons, as well as for displaced homemakers, veterans, Hispanics and Somalians, and the homeless. Most of that funding ended when the US Congress authorized the WIA, Workforce Investment Act, to take over funding at the end of the Clinton Presidential Administration.
Information Technology Provide the Best Jobs in Arkansas
Five out of the Top 20 Fastest Growing Occupations in Arkansas, including the Top Two, are in the Information Technology (IT) Industry.The industry locally includes not only data, but also healthcare, and aerospace manufacturing.
Additional High Demand, High Pay Jobs In Arkansas:
- Truck Driving, CDL license
- Oil, Gas and Mining Operators and Supervisors
- Logistics, Hazardous Materials Moving, and Materials Engineering.
- Healthcare Jobs, largely found in Research Science, Forensics, and Psychiatry.
- Sales, Marketing, and Collections will offer numerous employment positions through the next decade.
- Residential Advisors (RAs on residential campuses)
- Training and Development Managers
Top Five Cities For Jobs In Arkansas
Little Rock, Fayetteville, Bentonville, Fort Smith, and Rogers consistently advertise the most jobs.
Most Jobs Cluster Around Little Rock and the NW Corner
IT And Trucking Jobs Increase
Truck Driving jobs have been a Number One Priority among several companies listing vacancies. Wedding.com advertises many positions in the wedding preparation field, and food chains list openings across the state in crew and management positions. IT jobs are listed in all of the above fields, as well as also in the US military, Texas Instruments, and General Dynamics.
Top 15 Largest Employers Across The State
Employers that maintain the largest employee pools and advertise the most jobs in the state include:
- Wal-Mart stores, Headquartered in Arkansas
- University of Arkansas (U of A) - Radiology Department
- UAMS Medical Center
- Medical College Physician's Group
- U of A Hospital
- U of A Medical Sciences Department
- OK Industries Inc.
- Sam's Club - A division of Walmart companies
- Whirlpool Corporation
- University of Arkansas - Academics
- Arkansas Department of Highways and Transportation
- AMEDISTAF - Healthcare
- St. Vincent Infirmary Medical Center
- Tyson Foods - Agricultural processing and manufacturing. Tyson has become known for recycling its animal waste into energy products.
- US Veterans Medical Center
Highlights of Selected Largest Employers
- Wal-Mart Stores HQ is located in Bentonville, AR. This big box giant employs over 10,000 people. They promote from within and report that 76% of their unit management began working in hourly jobs at Wal-Mart. In 2015, a trend toward increasing minimum wages across the US had an impact on this corporation.
- Tyson Foods, Inc. is committed to ongoing professional development for their Team Members. They are currently recruiting and employing a widely diverse employee pool in large numbers of new job openings.
- Verizon and AT&T, formerly ALLTEL Corp., promote from within to help people establish long-term careers and encourages fun at work in a business-casual environment. Employees here are happy and productive.
- St. Vincent Infirmary Medical Center promotes abundant employee participation and ensures their safety and well-being.
- Whirlpool Corp. is the global leader in manufacturer and marketing of home appliances.
- American Greetings Corp. is hiring for people who are self-motivated, dedicated and creative team players.
- Arkansas Government Jobs - Arkansas offers a website for job search. You can use a keyword search, a department search, or browse job postings.
Major Employment Cities
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Fort Smith, Arkansas
Fort Smith is recognized by economists and top financial magazines as one of the Best 25 Small Cities for Jobs and Business in America. Alternative Energy, Healthcare, Manufacturing, Transportation, and Healthcare require additioanl workers.
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Fayetteville and Northwest Arkansas
The Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers metropolitain areas covers Northwest Arkansas Southwest Missour. This tri-cities area is the major economic engine of the region and offers high-growth jobs in interesting occupations, including Logistics and Market
Highest Demand Jobs In Arkansas Through 2022
Out of approximately 60,000 job listings in August - September 2015, at least 15,000 were advertizing for Truck Driving and related positions. This field of work increased suddenly and massively in 2014, but many Information Technology jobs are sill connected to the Trucking Industry,.
- Owner Operators and salaried Truck Drivers, Truck Fleet Owners, Team Drivers - Company & Independents, Long Haul Company Drivers
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Java Programmer-Engineers and Developers
- .Net, "c" and other Programmers
- Software QA Managers
- Project Managers in IT
- Senior Business Analysts
- Crew and Managers at Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and Sonic Drive Ins
- Occupational and Physical Therapists
- Speech/Language Pathologists and Therapists
Government employment projections on the federal and state level include IT, Truck Driving/Transportation, and Healthcare jobs as the highest to be in demand through 2022.
Companies Offering the Most Job Listings
- Beginning in 2014, any of a dozen Trucking and Freight companies produced ongoing job listings in large quantities than the next company on this list. Hogan, Rush, Wise, CRST, Navajo Express, and many more.
- Voyage Solutions - healthcare
- Community Health System
- Catholic Health Initiatives
- Baptist Health
- Mercy Health
- Soliant Health
Famous Arkansas Travelers
Arkansas History of Professional Women's Basketball
Sixty years ago in 1949, one Hazel Walker lived in Oak Hill, Arkansas. She played for the women's professional basketball team named the Caraway, Arkansas All-American Red-Heads, which had started out in Missouri. Ms. Walker left the All-American Red Heads and started her own basketball club, named Hazel Walker's Arkansas Travelers. The Travelers played up to six nights a week against men's teams.
The female Arkansas Travelers won over 85% of their games against men.
In all, the Travelers played 16 full seasons and Ms. Walker retired in 1965 at age 50. She and her team are a foundation of the legacy of the Women's Professional Basketball Association.
Hazel Walker's Arkansas Travelers
The female Arkansas Travelers won over 85% of their games against men.
Famous Song: Arkansas Traveler
Arkansas State Song
This song, "The Arkansas Traveler", became the state song of Arkansas in 1949 and retained that distinction until 1963. However, it became State Historical Song in 1987.
Dickey-Stephens Park in Little Rock is a Popular Attraction
Travelers Then and Now
The ballpark located on the map above is great baseball games and is the the home field of the current Arkansas Travelers of the Texas League. The team is an all-male minor league ball club.
Sports Related Opportunities in Arkansas
College and High School
- Arkansas Razorbacks - HQ in Fayetteville; various sports for men and women at University of Arkansas
- High School Internet Network of Sports Teams
- Arkansas Glaciercats (WPHL)
- Arkansas RiverBlades (ECHL)
- Arkansas Travelers (AA) - Little Rock; minor league men's baseball.
Arenas and Stadiums
Arkansas Colleges and Universities
Higher Education and Training
- Arkansas Baptist College: Little Rock campus
- Arkansas State University: Jonesboro; Beebe, Mountain Home, Newport
- Arkansas Tech University: Russellville
- Black River Technical College: Pocahontas
- Central Baptist College: Conway, Arkansas
- Harding University: Searcy
- Henderson State University: Arkadelphia
- Hendrix College: Conway
- John Brown University: Siloam Springs
- Lyon College: Batesville
- National Park Community College, next to Hot Springs National Park. Location: 101 College Dr, Hot Springs AR 71913
- North Arkansas College: Harrison
- Ouachita Baptist University: Arkadelphia
- Ouachita Technical College: Malvern
- Ozarka College: Melbourne, Arkansas
- Philander Smith College: Little Rock
- Pulaski Technical College: North Little Rock
- Southeast Arkansas College: Pine Bluff
- Southern Arkansas University: Magnolia and Technical Branch: E. Camden
- University of Arkansas: Fayetteville, Pine Bluff, Fort Smith, Little rock, Monticello
- University of Arkansas Criminal Justice Institute: Little Rock
- University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture: Little Rock
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences: Little Rock
- University of Central Arkansas: Conway
- University of the Ozarks: Clarksville
- Williams Baptist College: Walnut Ridge
University of Arkansas Community Colleges
- Cossatot Community College of the University of Arkansas: De Queen
- Phillips Community College of the University of Arkansas: Helena
- University of Arkansas Community College: Batesville
- University of Arkansas Community College: Hope
- University of Arkansas Community College: Morrilton
© 2007 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
55-Alive! Magazine suggests a number of places they feel are better than average for retirement living. These include a number of US States and...
Cherry Springs State Park is a showplace for the Northern Lights. Every 11 years, sunspot activity increases to maximum, allowing the Northern Lights to be seen even more often.
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.