The Real F Troop In San Angelo, West Texas
Working Ranch Area and An Oil Boom
This area of Texas is filled with attractive scenery, historic sites, working cattle ranches, tourist attractions, and a thriving oil boom. New residents, new businesses, and vacationers love to flock to West Texas.
San Angelo is a city of 100,000+ residents creating a designated Market Area in the West Central part of Texas between Highways I-20 and I-10. The city fared well economically, even throughout the Great Recession and its suburbs experienced increases in oil & gas jobs consistently.
During 1st Quarter 2013, the town of Mertzon TX, 30 miles southwest of San Angelo, was home to about 800 residents that included children, but 235 job postings. There were not enough adults available to fill the jobs. A full 1,700 listings were available within 25 miles of the city and in 1st Quarter 2014, there were over 4,100.
Portion Of the San Angelo Market
Matthew McConaughey Owns Longhorn Steers In San Angelo!
Attractions In San Angelo
Downtown and Waterfront
- Downtown San Angelo | Welcome
Downtown San Angelo, Texas is historic and fun. Merchants offer a variety of art, gifts, clothing, furniture and more! Downtown events revolve around history, agriculture, art and contemporary interests.
- Downtown Historic Murals of San Angelo
Historic Murals of San Angelo, Inc. is a non-profit organization that funds a painted history of San Angelo on selected walls for all to see and enjoy.
- The Concho River runs through the center of Downtown San Angelo. The river valley provides the market area that includes Irion and Tom Green Counties and carries the name Concho Valley Workforce Development Area under the Workforce Development Act (WIA). The Concho refers to the Concho mussels in the river that make the unique Concho Pink pearl. Downtown San Angelo is home to many other interesting sights and activities.
- Local Area Lakes - San Angelo Nature Center and Wetlands is at Lake Nasworthy. The area also features O.C. Fisher and Twin Buttes Reservoirs.
- Fine Arts Museum
- Fort Concho and Museums - This National Historic Landmark is located at 630 S. Oakes , San Angelo. Tuesday-Saturday from 10:00am to 5:00pm, and Sunday 1:00pm to 5:00pm (see links below). The Robert Wood Johnson Museum of Frontier Medicine is located inside the fort, complete with samples of medical instruments. There is also a telephone museum.
- Railway Museum -- Rail history from 1888 to 2010.
- San Angelo University - Founded in 1928, named to many "Best Schools" lists.
- State Park - San Angelo State Park offers a variety of outdoor activities. Hunting available during deer and turkey seasons, along with fishing. It is also the home to part of the Official Texas Longhorn Herd, a protected group of the iconic Texas herd cattle in several state parks. Bison can also be seen.
- Lilly Fest - An annual celebration, but San Angelo maintains the International Lily Collection as well.
- San Angelo Rodeo & Stock Show - Held in February and very popular.
Zombies Live At Goodfellow AFB
Professional and University Sports
F Troop Is Here
Fort Concho, Texas Historic Site
Real F Troop Coat Of Arms
The Log of a Cowboy In Texas
Fort Concho was the first fort maintained as a defense post by the Buffalo Soldiers of the 10th Cavalry (F Troop) in April 1873.
The F Troop regiment's HQ was located at the fort from April 17, 1875 - July, 1882. During this time, the regiment protected all of West Texas from various Native American bands. Buffalo Soldiers Day is celebrated on February 24 at Fort Concho Museum every year.
The 10th Cavalry's Coat of Arms is to the right.
NOTE: The writers of TV's F Troop (1965-1967), which used an all-white cast and Catskills & Vaudeville Jewish comedians for Native Americans, did not know that they were totally parodying the US Army 10th Cavalry Regiment and its Buffalo Soldiers. The show was even set in Kansas, the state where the regiment was originally formed at Fort Leavenworth. Few viewers knew about the Buffalo Soldiers at the time.
Fort Concho Facts
Business and Jobs Are Great In West Texas!
Incredible Jobs Increase Percntages
Hot Jobs In San Angelo 2016 - 2020
Highest Demand Jobs include he following:
- Truck Drivers and Owner/Operators: High Country Transportation, P & S Transportation, Federal Companies Trucking, Knight Transportation
- Engineers - IT, Oil & Gas, Alternative Energy
- Physicians in several specialties
- Registered Nurses
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Sales Representatives
- Account Representatives
- Restaurant Managers
- Maintenance Workers and Technicians in several fields
A growing number of jobs is available at Annie's List and Endorsed Candidates, a group wishing to elect Democrats to local offices throughout Texas.
Companies To Contact
The following companies have been increasing hiring in the Oil & Gas Industry in San Angelo-Mertzon for a few months at this writing. Numbers of jobs available with each company fluctuates , so keep checking back. The websites are embedded in blue links below. Other industries are increasing jobs advertised as well (see next section).
Targa Resources in Mertzon -- Employment: Oil & Gas Technicians, Coordinators, Specialists, and others.
- Devon Energy in San Angelo -- Field Operations.
- Halliburton - Search http://jobs.halliburton.com/
- Johnson and Johnson in San Angelo -- Engineering Jobs
- Schlumberger in Sonora TX off I-10 -- Open Jobs: Technicians and Engineers, others.
- Sunbelt Rentals - Oil & Gas Equipment - Burner Technicians, others.
- Sunoco Logistics in San Angelo - Water Hauling, other
- Victaulic in San Angelo - Career Opportunities: Includes water and waste water sales.
- Weatherford International in Sonora: Access careers and jobs at http://www.weatherford.com/
Additional Jobs in San Angelo - Mertzon
In 2013, many new positions opened in a call center run by Sitel (owned by a Canadian parent company) in San Angelo, with additional jobs added yearly.
In addition, these companies are hiring:
- San Angelo Community Health Center - Registered Nurses, physicians, technicians, receptionists , others.
- Shannon Health in San Angelo - Registered Nurses, technologists, coordinators, and nursing assistants.
- Community Health Systems - Physicians, technicians, administrative jobs.
- Harden HealthCare - Nurses, therapists, and physicians.
In Addition to Healthcare:
- Angelo State University in San Angelo - Coordinators, collections department staff, assistant professors, others.
- Telereach - Virtual assistants, telemarketers, others.
- Texas Family Services - Variety of positions.
- Goodfellow Air Force Base - Technicians, several types; civilian and military. Park College is located on base as well. Annual Air Fiesta air show is an attraction.
Jobs Reference Map
© 2013 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
A variety of highly paid jobs are available in the Austin area, particularly involving Energy, Engineering, Healthcare, and Information Technology. Still growing in population, new businesses find incentives to come to...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE9
If you need a job, you can probably find one in Texas! Perhaps you're unemployed at 55+, a Veteran or widowed and never worked. Texas has agencies funded to help you find new employment fast.
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...