Best Farm Markets, Christmas Markets, Roadside Stands and U-Pick Sites In Mid-Michigan
Vegetables at the Farmers Market
Mid-Michigan Travel and Farm Markets
Several of the best Mid-Michigan counties for U-Pick and ready picked produce, milk, honey, and eggs at farmers markets are in the area between what looks like the finger-area of a mitten and the thumb of the lower part of Michigan. This area is centered on Bay County and contains Shiawassee, Genesee, Saginaw, and Midland Counties as well. Mid_Michigan is also full of shopping opportunities and travel attractions in addition to its farm markets.
In Bay County, you can see the crops growing all spring and summer before roadside stands open in June, July, and August. At least one farm along Mackinaw Road sells fresh flowers of their own growing from spring to October every year, adding vegetables, fruits, eggs, and other products as they are ready to sell.
Look for lowers and fresh produce at roadside stands along Mackinaw Road at the intersections of E. Hotchkiss and E. Salzburg. In Downtown Bay City just to the east, a Bay County Farmers Market is held every Tuesday and Thursday from Noon - 5:00PM in the late spring and summer and Thursdays from September 1 through October 25, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm, at the corner of Washington and Columbus Avenues, with an additional Flea Market every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 8:00AM to 6:00PM. It's all a lot of fun. Bay City also has an apple orchard:
Witzgall Orchards: 40 varieties of apples on 6 acres, harvested September - November.
- 5179 Two Mile Road, Bay City MI. Phone: (989) 684-4993
- Apples, apple cider, cider slush, caramel apples, honey products and and donuts.
- Award winning flower gardens.
Bay County and Bay City Farm Markets
Bay County Cheese Shops
- The Best Cheese in Cheesetown - Pinconning, Cheese Capital Of Michigan
I travel to Michigan four or five times a year and make a point to travel up Route 13 to Williams Cheese Company and a strip of bakeries, delis, cheese shops, parks and beaches all the way up to the local Native American installation.
The Blue Berries of Saginaw County
Blueberries are the most prolific crop at produce stands and farm markets in Saginaw County and we receive any shipments of their blueberries in our Ohio supermarkets. They are quite good. The other Michigan crop we receive in large quantities are the good Michigan potatoes and these are also available at some of the farmers markets around Saginaw and Bay City.
Saginaw County is the county adjacent to Bay County and located just to the south, easily found off I-75 and US 23.
Downtown Saginaw Farmers Market, over 100 Years Old
- May through October, 4 days a week, Friday through Sunday.
- 50 tents, tables, and wagons of produce and other goods.
Best Saginaw County Farms and Markets
- The Berry Patch - Blueberries.
2070 Tittabawassee, Hemlock MI. Phone: 989-642-8403.U-Pick and pre-picked.Season is mid-July - late August, Monday to Saturday 8AM – 8PM. Sunday 12 PM to 8 PM.
- Blueberries Galore Farm
11500 Gratiot Road (M-46), Saginaw MI. Phone: 989-781-7888. Fresh U-Pick blueberries, sweet and old-fashioned. Group tours. Season is mid-July-August 31, Monday to Saturday 8AM – 8PM. Sunday 12 PM to 8 PM.
- Brenske's Blueberries
17505 Roosevelt Rd, Hemlock, MI. Phone: 989-642-8737. Blueberries, U-pick and already picked. Season: July – September, Monday - Saturday 8AM to 8PM, Sunday 10AM to 8PM. Call ahead to check hours. Payment: Cash; 2012 season prices are $1.50/pound, Senior Discount 62 or older $1.40/pound, Saturday Discount everyone picks for $1.40/pound. Pre-picked $14.00/5-pound bag.
- Fishers Blueberry Farm -- 4532 N. Steel Road, Hemlock MI. Phone: 989-642-5361.U-Pick and ready-picked blueberries. Picnic areas, children’s playground, free morning coffee and restrooms. Season: July-September, 8AM to 8PM, 7 days a week.
- Garrett's Happy Halloween Pumpkin -- 2140 North Hemlock Road, Hemlock MI. Phone: 989-642-8303. Season: September - October, 9AM – dark, 7 days a week. Payment: Cash, Check. Pumpkins, various produce, Indian corn, corn stalks, gourds.
- Johnson's Giant Pumpkins - 4715 N. Portsmouth Rd in Saginaw MI. Open in September though Halloween, with many activities and events. Pumpkin sales. 9:00AM - 7:00 PM, 7 days a week.
- Russell Blueberry Farm -- Freeland MI. Phone: 989-781-0007.U-Pick & ready-picked blueberries.Honey, jams, jellies, gift, and picnic area. Book Barn new and used books. Season: July-September, 8AM to 8PM 7 days a week for blueberries. Book Barn open year around with appointment.
- Saginaw Valley Sod & Berry Farm -- 11285 Gratiot Road (M-46), Saginaw MI 48609. Phone: 989-781-2680. Season: June 15 - October 31.Pre-picked Asparagus: May 10 - Mid-June. Strawberries: May 25 - Late June. Early Raspberries: July - Early August. Late Raspberries: September - Late October. U- Pick vegetables in season; visit website for seasonal availability. Payment: Cash, Check.
- Schantz's Blueberries -- 3541 S. Gleaner Road, Saginaw MI. Phone: 989-642-8892. Blueberries, several varieties, U-Pick or call ahead to order pre-picked. Children love Schantz’s! Please bring your own containers for U-Pick. Friendly country place with a view of the pond. Season: July-September, 7:30 AM TO 8 PM, 7 days a week.
- Strawberry Fields Farm -- 14621 Lakefield Road, Hemlock MI. Phone: 989-642-2657 U-Pick and pre-picked, concessions, refreshments, porta-potties, picnic area. Please visit website for current picking schedule. We do not use pesticides on the crops. Payment: Cash, Check, Debit cards, Visa/MasterCard.
Saginaw Metro Area
Christmas Town Markets
Frankenmuth, The Christmas Town and Its Farm Markets
Downtown Frankenmuth is famous as Little Bavaria and have been developed largely by the Bronner and Zehnder Families. At the south end of the Downtown Strip sits Bronner's CHRISTmas wonderland and Zehnder's Waterpark and Hotel. The free light display in the huge parking lot is larger than many in the Midwest for which viewers pay $20.00 per car. This corner of town is a wonderland.
In the middle of the downtown area, a large farmers market meets regularly during the growing and harvest seasons, and on two weekends in November and December, a Christmas market is held and called Christkindl. One particularly large and well known farm in the area is Grandpa Tiny's Farm, belonging to the Zehnder Family. It is located across the street and behind from Bronner's. The waterpark and hotel are on the north side of Bronner's (see map below).
Frankenmuth is filled with visitor attractions, but my favorites are Bronner's large store; Zehnder's Restaurant, which is several restaurants and cafes in one building; the town library; historical venues like a military museum; a deer park; and Grandpa Tiny's.
Frankenmuth is just 30 miles south of Bay City.
Grandpa Tiny's Farm
This Farm is very large and extends south of Bronner's for quite some distance, as seen on the map below.
- $5.00/person admission includes a Draft Horse Wagon tour of the farm.
- Farm Fest is held the first Friday, Saturday and Sunday of every August.
- Regular Season: April - October, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Barn and Barnyard with animals, Grandma's Haus near Dead Creek, Black Bridge, Hart On-Room School, outdoor bread oven, and more.
Jerusalem and Nativity Of a Typical Christkindl Market
- Frankenmuth Farmers Market
- Grandpa Tiny's Farm
A long time family farm, this operation continues in tribute to Tiny Zehnder of Zehnder's Restaurant fame in Frankenmuth, famous for its chicken dinners.
- Best Year 'Round Gifts Come From Bronners CHRISTmas Store in Frankenmuth
Wally Bronner began his Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland store as a small sideline in 1945 in Downtown Frankenmuth - Little Bavaria - in Mid-Michigan. It grew so fast, he had a purchase a large corner lot at the south end of town and put up a building.
- It's Christmas 361 Days a Year at Bronner's in Frankenmuth
Each year, Bronner's Christmas Store at the south end of Frankenmuth - Michigan's Little Bavaria - sponsors a hilarious photo contest that should be on...
- WHNN-FM Oldies Palooza In Frankenmuth, 2000 - 2008
The Oldies Palooza was a Frankenmuth tradition for about a decade in the 2000s. For those magic years, it drew thousands of Baby Boomers, their parents, children, and grandchildren to a festival of Top 40s bands from the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s.
Farms at Frankenmuth
Shiawassee County, Just South of Saginaw County
South of Saginaw County Farms
- Davis Family Farm - 2911 N. Chipman Road, Owosso MI. Near Flint, west of I-75/US 23. Phone: (989) 723-1163. Season: May – October, Monday through Saturday 8:30AM to 5:30PM. Payment: Cash. Naturally grown turkey, pork, lamb, chicken, and pheasant. Eggs, blackberries, flowers, herbs, spices, pumpkins, rhubarb, strawberries, tomatoes, walnuts.
- Poor Man's Ponderosa -- 5047 S. Meridian Road, Laingsburg, MI. Phone: 517-285-6922. Farm is 20 miles NE of Lansing. Open: 8AM to 4PPM 7 days a week. Payment: Cash.
- Your Garden -- 4350 W. Bath Road in Perry, MI, corner of Bath Rd. and Highway M-52. Phone: 517-625-7774. U-Pick sweet corn, other vegetables, flowers, pumpkins, Indian corn, honey and straw bales. Night crawlers and worms available April 1-October 1. Open: June-October, daily, 9AM to dark.
Shiawassee County Farm Markets
Genessee County Farm Markets.
Genessee County Farm Markets. East Of Shiawassee County
Genessee County is located just to the East of Shiawassee County in Michigan. Some of the best farm markets in this locale include:
- Almar Orchard – Duffield Road,Flushing MI. Phone: 810-659-6568. Organic and conventionally-grown apples, cider and wine. Bakery, U-Pick apples, wagon rides, family picnic area, and petting zoo; tours and hayrides. Open all year, Monday - Saturday 9 AM to 6 PM, Sunday 12-6PM.
- Apple Lane Orchard -- 4460 N. Center Road, Flint MI. Phone: 810-736-7622. U-Pick and pre-picked apples of heirloom varieties; apple cider, pumpkins, squash, and deer apples. U-pick September 12 - October 25, weekends only. Store open September 12 to February, Monday – Saturday 10AM – 6PM and Sunday 1-6PM
- I & J Wolverton Nursery – Produce and plants. 6197 E Lake Road, Millington, MI 48746. Phone: 989-871-2325. U-pick strawberries June 10-July 1. Red and black raspberries July 10-30. Late red raspberries August 28-October 15. U-Pick asparagus April & May. Season: April 1-November 15, Monday to Saturday, 8AM – 6PM.
- Mueller's Orchard -- 6036 Lobdell Road,Linden MI. Phone: 810-735-7676. Grapevine weaving class weekend before Mother's Day. U-pick cherries, early apples, pears and grapes. Shop offers apples, pears, cherry juice concentrate, cider, custom gift baskets and farm market products. Season: June 25- December 31, 9AM - 6PM, 7 days a week.
- Spicer Orchards -- 10411 Clyde, Fenton MI, 48430. Phone: 810-632-7692. Fenten is a nice town with a small, lively business district, a shopping mall and several parks and manmade lakes. Spicer’s is open from about June – September, with free weekend hayrides. Produce includes apples, blueberries, cherries, raspberries, strawberries, plums, and pumpkins. Their shop offers fruit, cider and pies, other desserts, candles, toys, and figurines. Animals on the farm include goats, pigs and others.
- Symanzik's Berry Farm -- 8103 Baldwin Road, Goodrich MI. Phone: 810-636-2775. U-pick late red raspberries, great for pies. Season: Late August or September through October, 7 days a week from 9 AM to 6 PM.
Genessee County Farm Markets
Reference Map: Michigan Counties
More by this Author
The Dust Bowl in Michigan began with a settlement in 1850 that created miles of desert by 1870 with the early logging indusry. Then a ladies' Cemetery Society brought new life to a dying land, creating useful green...
Many of the hundreds of historical, cultural, entertainment and other attractions in Detroit, Michigan are located on or near Woodward Avenue. Home of many "firsts" and "oldests", this road is also...
I have learned much from my Polish American friends about the important of Easter in their culture, friendships, families, and faith. Please enjoy the recipes and information.