Florida's Biggest City Is Jacksonville And Still Growing
A Well Connected, Growing City
Located near the Northeast Coast of Florida and just a few miles south of the State of Georgia, Jacksonville, Florida supports over 841,000 residents as of the US Census2010. Jacksonville is home to most of the residents of Duval County overall and contains approximately 1/10 of the total population of the State of Florida. it is a most important Sunshine State community.
As one of the largest-populated cities in the United States, Jacksonville's physical land area is Number One in size among all US cities. Simultaneously, Jacksonville bills itself as a place removed from the more hectic tourist centers in South Florida.
Jacksonville, Northeast Florida - Crossroads I-295 and I-10
Jacksonville is two hours north of Cape Canaveral and Orlando on I-95.
Best Places In America
The city covers a metro area that contains a far-ranging selection of work opportunities, dwelling places, shopping districts, higher education facilities, entertainment venues, dining, cultural, historical, and arts districts.
Set near the Atlantic Ocean with a number of the best beaches in Florida, the city is also near several natural and wildlife preserves. Healthcare facilities are excellent in this part of the state, with the Mayo Clinic and other top hospitals and medical practices at hand; although alternative health practices also flourish here.
Local universities and colleges offer training in healthcare professions, business, sciences, languages, and other programs that help build new jobs from products and services that retirees and working families will use. It seems the area has no choice but to grow.
Jacksonville is rated by several financial, economical, and lifestyle organizations, including CNNMoney Magazine, as one of the Best Places to Retire in America; but it is also a fine place to work, raise a family, and meet singles.
Jacksonville Colleges and Universities
- Art Institute of Jacksonville
- Edward Waters College
- Flagler College, St. Augustine: Named after the man who brought the American Railroads to Florida.
- Florida Coastal School of Law Jacksonville
- Florida State College at Jacksonville
- Jacksonville University
- Jones College, Jacksonville
- St. Johns River State College
- University of Florida Health Science Center
- University of Florida
- University of North Florida: A public, comprehensive university located in Jacksonville, Florida. Main phone is (904) 620-1000.
This is an outstanding true story that you will not soon forget. it was difficult to build a railroad line down the coast of Florida, but it was accomplished.
Adventures and Shopping
Jacksonville Travel Adventures
- The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens Jacksonville FL
A chronological survey collection of the history of art and aesthetics, particularly in Europe and America. Exhibitions, museum store, and news.
- Jacksonville Landing
Nightlife and shopping along St. John's River.
- Jacksonville Zoo
- Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve & Fort Caroline: Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve & Fort Caroline National Memorial
The various neighborhood divisions of Jacksonville are displayed in the scheme to the right. However, the Downtown Area and Beach District on the Atlantic Coast near Jacksonville are among the most popular.
Major revitalization since 2000 has been completed Downtown to the tune of billions of dollars, with more in the future. Living spaces have joined businesses and cultural organizations to create an urban environment that rivals other large US cities. Infrastructure improvements have made the Urban Core both sustainable and walkable on the Jacksonville Riverfront.
A tour of historic churches points out the architectural heritage of Downtown Jacksonville, while a weekly arts walk on Wednesdays rivals the gallery hop of any other city. A kind of culinary tour is offered in August and is called Eat Up Downtown. For the family, movies are shown for four weeks each spring in the park on the Southbank of the river.
Jacksonville Neighborhood Divisions
Ostrich Race In Old Jacksonville, 1911
The Beach district includes Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, and Jacksonville Beach, with Ponte Vedra Beach a bit to the south on Highway 1A. the beaches cover just over 20 miles of the Atlantic coastline.
- Atlantic Beach - Off Route 10, Atlantic Boulevard.
- Neptune Beach - Also off Route 10, about 1/2 mile south of Atlantic Beach.
- Jacksonville Beach - Off State Route 90, Beach Boulevard. The Mayo Clinic is approximately 1/4 mile west of the beach, on County Road 101A at Butler Boulevard, Route 202.
Some of the Best Beaches on Florida's Northeast Coast
The Cecil Commerce Center
This busy commerce center is an industrial- and ccommercial-zoned location and that covers 17,000 acres in western Jacksonville and Duval County. It is one of the largest in the Eastern USA, featuring a number of parcels of land ripe for commercial development, all surrounded by first rate infrastructure and a long airplane runway strip. Once a US Naval Air Station, this site is one of the reasons that Jacksonville continues to grow, making it good for job seekers as well as retirees.
Among the prestigious tenants at the Cecil Commerce Center® are the Florida State College Aviation Center of Excellence, Homeland Security, and Embry Riddle Aeronautical University -- important to the expanding private space program partnerships developed by NASA since 2011.
Professional and College Sports
Top Industry Sectors In Jacksonville
The most successful industries in Jacksonville are
1) retail/wholesale sales,
2) travel, hospitality and tourism: and
3) transportation/warehousing - especially truck driving.
Top Hiring Companies
- Deutsche Bank
- NPC International
- Centerline Drivers Company
- Petro Services
- Bank of America
- CSI Companies
- Dollar Stores: Family Dollar and Others
- PSA Healthcare
- Care.com: Many levels of healthcare staff are needed.
- Brookdale Senior Living
- Mayo Clinic
- Swedish Medical Center
Highest Demand Jobs
- Truck Drivers
- Registers Nurses (RNs), Travel Nurses
- Physical Therapists
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Java Developers
- Occupational Therapists
- Business Analysts
- Sales Representatives
- Account Executives
- Assistant Managers
- Speech Language Pathologists
- Project Managers
- Administrative Assistants
- Dental Assistants
Largest Employers In Greater Jacksonville
- Citicards - Credit card division of Citicorp and Citibank groups
- Merrill Lynch - Financial Products and Investment
- St. Vincent's Medical Center
- Jacksonville Sheriff's Office
- JPMorgan Chase - Banking, Financial Products, and Investment
- HCA - Healthcare
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Florida - Health and Medical Insurance
- Shands Healthcare
Retirement Communities: Jobs and Living Options
- Brookdale Senior Living is a corporation in most US States that offers a range of dwelling options for people aged 55+, from skilled nursing and dementia care all the way to independent living. Not only do they have openings for residents in Jacksonville, they offer a steady number of job listings as well. Cypress Village is their location in Jacksonville, set up as resort living.
Affordable Communities for the 55+ Person
- Brighton Bay Senior Living Community; 10061 Sweetwater Parkway; Jacksonville, FL 32256. 185 units for independent living in southeastern Jacksonville.
- Cecil Pines - Phone 888-968-0905
- Christine Cove - 3730 Soutel Drive; Jacksonville, FL 32208
- Riverwood at Nocatee - Ponte Vedra -- Phone 904-217-0005
- Solvita: www.solvita.com
- Sweetwater by Del Webb; 9028 Tropical Bend Circle, Jacksonville FL 32256
Considering Purchasing a Home?
Tulia.com: Summer 2015: Prices have appreciated gradually 2011 - 2015.
- Price Range on 11,290 homes: $1,000 (Foreclosure) to $6.9 Million
- Median Sales Price: $110,000 (down nearly 4% during the last year)
- Beach Real Estate; Price Range on 460 homes: $6,100 (Foreclosure) to $4 Million
Increasing Jobs 2010 - 2014Click thumbnail to view full-size
Notice a consistent increase in job listings from January 2010 through January 2014 at the right hand side of the curves above. Fourth QTR 2015 provided a consistent 15,000 job openings. Summer 2016 found the same number of opportunities: 15,000+ openings.
Fastest-Growing Jobs Expected To 2018
- Biomedical Engineers
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Medical Scientists
- Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Physician('s) Assistants
- Personal and Other Home Care Aides
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Radiation Therapists
- Financial Examiners
- Dental Hygienists
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Dental Assistants
- Medical Assistants
- Athletic Trainers
- Physical Therapists
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Surgical Technologists
- Occupational Therapists
© 2011 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Plan now for your singles or family tours of Autumn Wonder. Many state and national parks are free access and one autumn train ride for leaf-peeping in New Hampshire may be exactly what you want. Even California offers...
Baltimore is a fantastic place to visit and one that will bring smiles to your face for a long time.
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!