Best Places to Retire in Florida - A St. Petersburg Review
Relocation for Retirement and Employment
A lot is written about St. Petersburg, Tampa, and the other communities that make up this metropolitan area. It is one to which many Ohioans have moved in the late 2000s and early 2010s and at one point, state analysts felt that people were leaving the Midwestern state in droves to relocate to this part of Florida. While we don't have negative population growth, Ohioans are still moving to Florida and St. Petersburg is a good reason to do so.
Warmer weather is, of course, a great reason to move to St. Petersburg from northern states and Canada, either permanently or for winter seasons. With El Nina creating colder and snowier winters in recent years, this is a top stimulus to retirees to move south. The advancing job market is another reason, because many retirees continue to work. Even younger workers are moving to Tampa - St. Petersburg.
The US Census defines St. Petersburg as a part of the larger Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA).
Retirement Considerations for Safety and Thrift
Several Hubs have been written about the travel opportunities around Tampa-St. Petersburg and a selection are offered to you in the links below. A less well addressed subject is safety in retirement (age 60s+) and how to choose the best home in which to simultaneously minimize safety risks and to save some money. These suggestions may help you are a friend that is ready to retire.
Large numbers of new homeowners desire houses that have two or even three stories and a basement, lots of big windows, but also lots of stairways. Preparing for retirement, These individuals or couples find that the house is now too large and to hard to navigate. Even younger Baby Boomers have undergone knee and hip replacements that make stair climbing even more difficult. Multiple large windows in a home that are not sealed, not double paned, and not covered in curtains can make a home hotter in summer and colder in winter, raise utility bills past payment ability, and be a general nuisance. The bathtub and shower can be another hazard and nuisance. Basements can full up with junk.
Large families with several children require larger homes, but smaller families may thrive in a house that is a bit smaller, with fewer windows, and fewer stairs. One solution is the single level or ranch style home often available in Florida and built on a slab since the high water table often eliminates basement possibilities. A laundry room at the back of the house is usually better for retirees than a basement setup.In addition, low-threshold step-in showers with an installed seat, grab bars, and non-slip traction surfaces on the floor can be ideal. One option in parts of China includes a comparatively smaller bathroom that is also a shower, equipped with sinks and a toilet. Spigots and sprays are installed in the walls and ceiling.
When considering an apartment for retirement, some experts suggest a first floor unit to prevent falls on stairways, while others encourage the use of an upper floor to more fully prevent any break-ins. Some other possible situations to consider is slippery staircase in rainy weather and non-working elevators during power outages. My choice would be a first floor apartment, although upper floors may offer a better view.
Active Seniors and Assisted Living Options
- Florida Apartments - Show Me The Rent
More affordable rents.
- Senior Living in Saint Petersburg, Florida (FL) | SeniorsforLiving
Seniors for Living helps you find Senior Living and other senior housing and senior care options in and near Saint Petersburg, Florida
- Senior Outlook - Housing Options for Senior Living
Search our national database for senior living options, information on choosing a community, financial and estate planning, and more.
Retire to Florida
This book discusses a large array of pluses and minuses of moving to Florida and can help you make the decision to move or not, and if moving, to what section of the state.
A Selection of Museums, Arts and Other Venues
- Chihuly Collection - Awesome glass sculptures. This glass artist is world famous. http://www.chihulycollectionstpete.com/
- Croation Native Arts Gallery and Museum
- The Dali Museum
- Detective Dinner Theater - Lots of fun! http://www.detectivedinner.com/
- Dr. Carter G. Woodson African American Museum
- Florida Holocaust Museum - Many of my friends have been here and describe the displays as overwhelming in emotion and meaning. Children are protected by a wall that prevents them from seeing the most disturbing sights.
- Golf Courses
- Isla Del Sol Yacht and Country Club
- Mahaffey Theatre - The Progress Energy Center
- Museum of Fine Arts - http://www.fine-arts.org
- St. Petersburg College Palladium Theater - Events are held and open to the public throughout each year.
- St. Petersburg Pier - Pier and Aquarium
- Saturday Morning Weekly Market
- Smugglers Cove Mini Golf
- Sunken Garden - Garden and Home Tour -- http://www.stpete.org/sunken/
- Tampa Bay Auto Museum - http://tbauto.org/
- Ted Williams Baseball Museum - This is a favorite of anyone who appreciates baseball and its local spring training evetns in Florida.
- Weedon Island Preserve
Attractions - Home Shopping Network
- Home Shopping Network Website
Our principal offices are located at 1 HSN Drive, St. Petersburg, Florida 33729 and our main telephone number is 727-872-1000.
Distances from St. Petersburg to Other Great Florida Cities
Distance to St. Petersburg
St Petersburg-Clearwater Intl, FL
St. Petersburg Area Hospitals - Animal and Human
- All Children's Hospital: Creating Healthy Tomorrows for All Children
All Children's Hospital is a leading center for pediatric treatment, education and research, providing specialized care from newborns through teens. It is the only freestanding children’s hospital on Florida's west coast.
- Bayfront Medical Center
Bayfront Medical Center is a medical facility ever evolving. We're constantly changing today to meet tomorrow’s healthcare needs for the residents of St. Petersburg and West Central Florida.
- Bay Pines VA Healthcare System Home - Bay Pines VA Healthcare System provides health care services to veterans in west central and southwestern Florida.
- Edward White Hospital | St. Petersburg, Florida - Edward White Hospital
- Kindred Hospitals - Bay Area Tampa - Kindred Healthcare
- Palms of Pasadena Hospital
- St. Anthony's Hospital - St. Petersburg, Florida
- St. Pete General Hospital | St. Petersburg, Florida - St. Petersburg General Hospital | St. Petersbu
Working In Florida
Education and Training
- Eckerd College. 4200 54th Avenue South, St. Petersburg - (800) 456-9009
- Keiser Career College. 11208 Blue Heron Blvd N # 100, St. Petersburg
- Stetson Law School. 1401 61st Street South, Gulfport - (727) 562-7806
- St. Petersburg College. 244 2nd Avenue North, St. Petersburg - (727) 341-4246
- University of South Florida St. Petersburg. 140 7th Ave South, St. Petersburg - (727) 873-4873
Economy/Jobs: Recovery and Marked Growth
Shown below is an unusual growth curve for St. Petersburg area job listings across all Internet Sources for a period of 18 months. wioth a follow-up through mid-2014.
From November through February 2010, very few jobs were listed for this metro area, but an increase began the end of February. This increase continued overall through the remainder of 2011, with some ups and downs logged - all totals at any point being much higher than for autumn and winter of 2010, however. The year 2014 was a high point in job advertisement.
Job Advertising Trends:
- 37,400 jobs available in late October 2011
- 54,100 jobs by mid-August 2014
- 34,000 jobs in April 2015.
St. Petersburg Trends: Spike in 2014Click thumbnail to view full-size
Top Hiring Companies in Tampa - St. Petersburg
- BayCare Health System – 1,600+ jobs in March 2015.
- Winn Dixie Groceries
- University of South Florida
- HCA/HCA Healthcare
- Family Dollar
- School District of Manatee County
- Home Depot
- Kelly Engineering Resources
- Lockheed Martin
- Florida Hospital, Tampa
- Brookdale Senior Living
- United Health Group
- Swedish Medical Center
High Demand Jobs in St. Petersburg
- Registered Nurses – Licensed RNs
- Physical Therapists and Assistants
- Occupational Therapists and Assistants
- Assistant Mangers – Various businesses.
- Retail Salespeople
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Dental Assistants and Medical Support Staff
- Project Managers – IT
- Speech Therapists and Diagnosticians
- Business Analysts
- Dental Hygienists
- Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- Account Executives
- Restaurant Managers
- Financial Advisors
© 2011 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Palm Harbor has been ranked as a top retirement community in Florida. It is appealing, because Florida has no state income tax and Palm Harbor is not incorporated and therefore, levies few or no taxes of its own in...
55-Alive! Magazine suggests a number of places they feel are better than average for retirement living. These include a number of US States and...
I have learned much from my Polish American friends about the important of Easter in their culture, friendships, families, and faith. Please enjoy the recipes and information.