Branson, Missouri’s Titanic Museum
We heard conflicting reports about the Titanic Museum before and during our vacation to Branson, Missouri. It boils down to this: if you're looking to be entertained, it'll probably be a let down, but if you are truly interested in the Titanic, or history in general, you'll be thrilled.
Titanic for the Kids
If your kids love the Discovery Channel or the History Channel, they will love the Titanic Museum. If they like the movie, they will be in heaven. I highly recommend getting the audio tour option because there is a lot to read as you go through the exhibit. Using the audio option, even my 8-year-old kept pace with me - meaning she wasn't so bored she wanted to race ahead to get it over with. You can spend as much or as little time walking through the exhibit, but plan on one to two hours.
- Life size replica of the grand staircase, as seen in the movie Titanic
- Actual size reproductions of cabins on board the Titanic (Wow were those beds small - Even the most luxurious cabin for John Astor had a bed smaller than today's full size!)
- Audio interviews with survivors that will make you cry
- Models of the deck at different degrees of incline as the ship started to sink (play Jack and Rose hanging on for dear life in the movie!)
- Ice cold water you put your hand in to experience the conditions of passengers in the water
- Artifacts from on board the Titanic including boarding passes, clothing, and life preservers
- Film footage of the construction of the Titanic
- Timeline of the collision with the iceberg and sinking of the ship
- A simulated deck, complete with starry sky, faux icebergs, and extra cool air conditioning!
- If you're lucky - the traveling exhibit of items from the movie Titanic. This feature travels to the various Titanic museum features around the world.
Who Are You?
The coolest thing about the Titanic Museum is that when you enter, you receive a ‘boarding pass' with the name and history of an actual passenger. You could be in 1st Class, 2nd Class, 3rd Class, or a member of the crew. This detail really helped our family interact with the exhibits more fully. At the end you find out if your passenger lived or died! It's a great end to a fulfilling experience.
More by this Author
Breast tenderness is one of the most common signs of early pregnancy. Breasts (including nipples) may become sensitive. There are, however, ways to alleviate discomfort.
The Midwest of the United States may not be the first to mind when it comes to family vacations, but it you'll find that there is much to do in the Midwest. From Branson to Chicago to the Black Hills of South Dakota,...
Find out the early signs of being pregnant, when most women start seeing them, and how to know if you're really pregnant. Hint: You need to take a pregnancy test.