About Cambodia, Srok Khmer: Facts, Fun, and Photos: A Guide To Cambodian Culture
Kingdom of Cambodia
My Personal Interest In Cambodia
Well, to be honest, I knew little about Cambodia until I met my wife a few years ago. My wife moved here when she was 12 and she has told me many stories about how she lived as a refuge before coming to America and her story of growing up here. Well, let's just say that she's "30-Something" now, and I am very lucky to have met her! Although I have never been there, I hope that someday I will be able to travel to Cambodia, and perhaps spend my retirement there along with my wife.
As I befriended my wife, she told me about the land, its people and its beauty. Cambodia has a long and interesting history, including one of the worst atrocities to ever happen to a single country (Khmer Rouge , discussed later.) I will later share some pictures that my wife took on her last trip in 2007.
Pictures My WIfe Took While Visiting Her HomelandClick thumbnail to view full-size
Cambodia From Amazon
I can only imagine the mystique when you are standing in front of these Ancient Temples. I have to say that I am mostly motivated to take the 23 hour flight to Cambodia, just to see these amazing structures. The photos below are photos of some of the Temples at Angkor Wat that my wife took herself. It is truly breathtaking-and I would venture to say that these Temples are if not better, definitely close to the mysteries of the Ancient Egyptian Pyramids.
There are many things to do in Cambodia. Touring the ancient cities is one of them. There are ancient statues, temples, markets, and so much more. Check out the pictures!
See a Traditional Khmer Wedding in Photos and Video!
- Traditional Cambodian (Khmer) Wedding Ceremonies
This is the story of my traditional Khmer (Cambodian) wedding that took place in the spring of 2008. We combined Khmer traditions with American traditions (and even some Korean ones) and had a wonderful wedding!
Interesting Facts About Cambodia
- Main Language: Khmer
- Main Religion: Buddhism (Theravada)
- Population: 14.8 million (UN, 2005)
- Ethnic group: Khmer, Vietnamese and Chinese minorities
- Monetary unit: 1 riel = 100 sen
- Climate: tropical humid climate: rainy (monsoon) season (May to November) and dry season (December to April)
- Capital: Phnom
- Major Cities: Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Sihanouk Ville, Koh Kong
- Independence: 9 November 1953
- GNI per capita: US $380 (World Bank)
- Major Exports: Garments, Fisheries Products, Rubber
- Major Imports: petroleum products, construction materials, vehicles and motorcycles, clothing
- Direct Flight: from Bangkok, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, Vientiane, Kuala Lumpur, and Guangzhou
Related Articles on Cambodia and Southeast Asian Cuisine, by J.S.Matthew
- Learn How To Speak and Write Cambodian: An Introduction To The Khmer Language
An introduction to Khmer, the language of Cambodia. Includes pronunciation, character/letter writing, original photos and drawings. This is the best guide for a beginner who wants to learn how to read, write, and speak Khmer Cambodian.
- A List of Authentic Ingredients for Khmer Cambodian Food With Recipes
Cambodian recipes are usually not written down, but rather passed from generation to generation by showing children how to prepare these dishes in their own kitchens. It is a great cultural significance and bonding ritual within many Asian...
- How To Make Curry Dishes for Chicken, Seafood, or Meat and Tangy Ham and Vegetable Stew Recipe
One of the most enjoyed dishes in Cambodia, Southeast Asia, India and all over the world, is Curry. Curry has a very distinct aroma and taste. You can season Pork, Chicken, Beef, or Lamb with Curry, and these recipes are easy to make...
- How To Make Green Mango, Chili Coriander, and Tamarind Asian Dipping Sauces
In the first article of this series, we explored the Basic Ingredients for Cooking Cambodian-Southeast Asian Food. One of the most common foods found in Cambodian, and many other Southeast Asian homes, that are easy to make and inexpensive...
- How To Make Pickles In 24 Hours
Want to learn how to make Pickles in only 24 Hours? This recipe is easy to use and takes less than a half hour to prepare, but needs to sit overnight to marinate. Unlike most pickled vegetables recipes, this recipe does not require you to go through
- About Cambodia, Srok Khmer: Facts, Fun, and Photos: A Guide To Cambodian Culture
Cambodia has a long and interesting history, including one of the worst atrocities to ever happen to a single country. The Khmer Rouge killed millions of innocent people in this genocide. This article includes recent pictures that my wife took...
- How To Make Cambodian Khmer Sweet Coconut Waffles
This recipe is a Southeast Asian Khmer Cambodian Recipe that was influenced by the French during the Colonial Period. Of course, as Cambodians always do, they made a recipe into their own using Coconuts which are native to the region!
More by this Author
Learn about cast iron cookware and its benefits and how to season, clean, and store it.
An introduction to Khmer, the language of Cambodia. Includes pronunciation, character/letter writing, original photos and drawings. This is the best guide for a beginner who wants to learn how to read, write, and speak...
Lucinda Embry is an elementary student and is quite strange at first appearance. All of the students in her class are asked to come up with a great idea to officially recognize, or "kick-off", the first year...