Cleveland's Soldiers and Sailors Monument
President William McKinley gave the keynote speech at the 1894 dedication of this public monument to the local defenders of the Union during the Civil War three decades before. Cleveland’s Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument actually replaced a previously existing monument to that 27-year-old hero of the 1813 Battle of Lake Erie against the British, Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry. (Perry’s monument was relocated to the lagoon at Wade Park near Cleveland’s University Circle.) Tour rickzworld for a truly interesting journey.
The Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument honors the thousands of local Union veterans of the Artillery, Infantry, Cavalry and Navy. Those four divisions of military service are each represented on a different side of the monument’s base by a large and dramatic sculpture by the monument’s architect, Captain Levi T. Scofield. The monument’s base is a square structure housing the memorial chamber, within which individual names are engraved on tablets, accompanied by stained glass, sculpted military badges, large bas-relief panels of war scenes, and busts of notable figures and officers killed in action. All of the monument's sculptures and bas-reliefs are noteworthy for their dramatic staging, muscular action, and verisimilitude of character, dress and weaponry. The memorial structure sits atop a 100-foot square sandstone plaza set into the landscaped southeastern quadrant of the City’s Public Square.
Rising to a height of 125 feet from the richly detailed memorial chamber is a hefty dark and banded granite shaft topped by a 15-foot tall statue of The Goddess of Liberty. Marking the north and south entrances into the memorial chamber are bronze doors and guardian bronze eagles. The shaft of the monument is so located as to center the vista into Public Square from Euclid Avenue, the City’s traditional avenue of commerce. The monument is particularly striking in its current setting, whether seen against the backdrop of the white stonework of the former May Company department store building to its south, or framed against the 8-story atrium of Hellmuth, Obata, Kassabaum’s massive red stone and dark glass edifice of the former BP Tower, now known as 200 Public Square, to its east.
More information on the monument can be obtained from the memorial support group’s website: www.soldiersandsailors.com.
- The Terminal Tower: A Cleveland Landmark
To most Cleveland residents, this structure towering over Public Square is the most recognized icon of the City.
- Cleveland's Public Square
Cleveland's Public Square What began as pasturage for early settlers’ livestock has evolved into the City of Cleveland’s relaxing public ‘front lawn’. Cleveland’s Public Square consists of four city blocks cross-haired by Ontario Street...
- Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square
Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square This moderately sized but quite elegant hotel is nestled into the heart of Cleveland’s Playhouse Square district, immediately opposite Star Plaza, at the irregular intersection of Huron Road, East 14th Street,...
- Cleveland's 200 Public Square
Built as the North American headquarters of global energy giant BP, this high-rise in Cleveland is now home to local Huntington Bank.
- Cleveland's Old Stone Church
Old Stone Church A dark and commanding presence on Cleveland’s Public Square since the early 1800s, Old Stone Church now stands among its much larger and younger neighbors: the Terminal Tower, Key Center and the former BP Headquarters (now 200...
- Cleveland's Society for Savings Building
One of the first true skyscrapers of Cleveland looms above Public Square.
- Cleveland's Key Tower
Key Tower, Cleveland, Ohio When this office tower was completed in 1991, it became the nationâs tallest structure between New York and Chicago. Even today, after recent building booms in Hong Kong, China, Dubai and elsewhere, Key Tower remains...
- Tom L. Johnson Statue, Cleveland, Ohio
Tom L. Johnson Statue, Cleveland, Ohio Occupying a prominent position in the northwestern quadrant of Clevelandâs Public Square is the fine bronze statue of seated Tom L. Johnson, the cityâs reformist Democratic Mayor from 1901 to 1909. Born in..
- See Cleveland's Horseshoe Casino
Cleveland's Horseshoe Casino, in the shadow of the Terminal Tower If you are one of the fortunate ones who have acquired an entry ticket or wristband for the Grand Opening of Clevelandâs Horseshoe Casino this coming Monday evening, May 14th, at...
- The May Company, Cleveland, Ohio
The May Company Building, Cleveland, Ohio The May Company central downtown department store building, facing the southeastern quadrant of Clevelandâs Public Square has for nearly a century presented a unique faÃ§ade within the city skyline. The...
More by this Author
An early 20th Century 'high-rise' in the heart of The Forest City
This community resembles a quaintly traditional English garden village transplanted to the American Great Lakes region.
Optimize land use and parking convenience
No comments yet.