Colourful Italy - Andiamo ( let's go )
Think Italy - A great way to daydream
When I think of Italy I can't help but remember the bright and beautiful colors on the buildings on Burano Island; the stunning colors of the exquisite Marano glass near Venice; or the rich color of the architecture and paint work on the ceiling of the Sistene Chapel. There is no doubt brilliant colors abound everywhere throughout Italy and I have been so fortunate to have captured some of my own images of this picturesque enticing country. But their are other memories that hold me captive and keep me longing for another visit. Such as the aroma of it's coffee, a strong full bodied pungent scent that lingers in the air seducing visitors and locals alike. Or the way Italians dress with their chic trendy attire where many appear to have come straight off the catwalk in fashionable Milan. And the warm friendliness of it's people who will often go the extra mile to help a visitor out.
And definitely it's food. Italy is a gastronomical wonderland and Italians love eating and drinking in the European way we westerners so desire. Think long lazy Degustation lunches, where vino flows like water and feasting is almost considered a national past time.
Famous for it's Pope in residence, Shakespeares Romeo and Juliet, the famous artist Leonardo Da Vinci, the leaning tower of Piazza, the Roman Colosseum, Milan and it's fashion industry, the fabulous floating city of Venice, sport's cars Ferrari and Lamborghini; Italy is a wonderland for visitor's.
From its peaceful and rustic Tuscan countryside to the fascinating wealth of Venice; to it's dense populated ancient city of Rome, Italy captivates the heart and mind and offers a satisfying experience for every taste no matter what your passion. And leaves you longing for more of the same.
This is just a small snapshot of some of this beautiful country. There truly is so much more and I have included links by some excellent Hubbers a little further down to check out if I have whetted your appetite for more. But just for fun and because I can I will leave you with a a little bit more information about this country that I adore.
Did You Know That:
- Romes population is 2,761,477
- Known for it's welcoming and friendly inhabitants Italy relies heavily on it's tourism industry and welcomes some 46-50 million visitors each year. It is the the fifth most visited country in the world.
- According to a 2007 UNICEF study on child well being Italy has been ranked as the best country to bring up a child in a wealthy country. Although it's fertility and birth rate rank among the lowest in the world.
- The Tiber River runs through Rome.
- Approximately 80/90% of Italy is Catholic.
- Italy's National Republic day is on June 2nd.
- 25 kilos of pasta is the average yearly consumption of each Italian.
- Impossible to grasp there are over 140 types of pasta.
- The meaning of the desert Tiramisu with it's two main ingredients 'coffee and cocoa' means 'pick me up' or 'make me happy'..not at all hard to understand why!
- Some of our well known cheeses such as Parmesan,Mozzarella and Ricotta originated in Italy.
- It's patron Saint is Saint Francis of Assisi.
- Italy's national bird is the Bluebird.
- The longest river in Italy is the Po.
- The highest point in Italy is Mont Blanc. It stands in the Alps at 15,770 feet.
- The Italian Wolf is Italy's national animal.
- Vatican City is only one of two independent states in Italy. At just 108.7 acres it is home to the Pope, guarded by it's own army the Swiss Guard. And is the only city that has it's own T.V, phone and radio companies. It also has it's own money and stamps.
- The Pine Nut tree also known as Pinus Pinea is native to the Meditteranian and grows prolifically throughout the streets of Rome. Standing out for it's tall lean trunk and round circular bushy top it produces the edible pine nut that we use in cooking and salads.
- The movie the Italian Job was shot in Venice as was the Tourist.
- The movie Tea with Musolini was based on a true story of survival when Bernito Mussolini's fascist regime ruled Italy around 1935 to 1944 and was filmed in the quaint mountain village of San Gimignano in the heart of Italy's wine district.
- Italy claims more Academy Awards for foreign films than any other European country.
- The Venice Film Festival which began in 1932 is the oldest festival in the world.
Italy is also responsible for the invention of the:
- ice cream cone.
- Optical eye glasses
- Violin and cello
- The Expresso coffee machine
Need more of a reason to visit Italy. Take a look at the photos on this hub and the attached youtube video and perhaps your dream/plan to take a visit might become a reality.
BellissimoClick thumbnail to view full-size
Best on offer
A Photo Journey
All photos are my own original shots taken while on holiday in ItalyClick thumbnail to view full-size
More to dream about.
- 10 Really Good Reasons to Visit Italy
Thinking about taking that trip of a life time to Italy? Well it's time to stop thinking and start planning. If you're looking for a reason to go, read on for my ten really good reasons to visit Italy.
- Top 10 Things to do in Venice, Italy
No city in the world can compare to Venice. My top 10 list of sights in Venice will take you off the beaten path as well as to all of the must see attractions. Check it out and get your walking shoes on.
- B&B Review - Bed and Breakfast You and Me, Venice, Italy
A complete first hand review of Bed and Breakfast You and Me. Conveniently located in the heart of Venice this charming Bed and Breakfast makes for the perfect retreat while visiting Venice.
- Burano Island off the coast of Venice, Italy
Burrano Island stands out on a trip to Italy for it's vibrant colored buildings, is famous for it's exquisite Lace making craft and is known for its fresh and delicious seafood. But it is also a very welcome peaceful and relaxed reprieve from the hus
What is your favorite Italian food?See results without voting
More by this Author
Before you travel keep these tips in mind in case you loose your passport - they are sure to lessen the stress in a difficult situation.
If you are a frequent flyer a travel bag well stocked can make the difference and ease the trip, especially if an emergency arises and you need to leave in a hurry.
Counseling is both a rewarding and worthwhile profession and there are many employment opportunities available in this fast growing industry. If you have been thinking of counseling as a career you might want to...