A Haunted Cornish Castle: Pengersick Castle, Praa Sands,England.
Pengersick Castle, Praa Sands, Cornwall
Over 30 spirits have been identified at Pengersick Castle, including sailors searching for lost treasure, a 4 year old boy, a girl who fell from the battlements a demon dog, two murdered monks, two previous owners, ghosts from a wrecked ship and a holy man from the 14th century. Indeed, Pengersick Castle is so haunted that many people have refused to stay there. It's been described as "frightening and evil".
Over 30 Spirits & Ghosts!
Pengersick Castle is an ancient fortified building, part of a much larger mansion that existed in ther 12th century. The Castle is set in 4½ acres and with a 5,000 year old history.
The ghost club have carried out many late night vigils and there's been a televised display of automatic writing, which resulted in a scribbled picture of a female face.
Pengersick Castle is widely accepted as the most haunted location in the UK and it has been the focus of many television programmes as well as getting more than a mention in numerous books, media and publications
The Pengersick Castle Ghosts:
Among the many Pengersick Castle ghosts are:
- A lady in white who is seen in one of the bedrooms, this is possibly the ghost of the Engrina of Pengersick.
- A demon dog, called a devil dog, with red eyes who appears by the fireplace in one of the bedrooms.
- Ron Kirby, a douser (water diviner)has doused one of the bedrooms and found 28 presences of spirits dating from 1500 to 1814.
- Several ghosts of sailors from a wrecked ship have been seen wandering around the grounds. After ships were wrecked in Cornwall, sailors who survived were murdered. There are many reported sightings of ghostly sailors in the area.
- Two monks who were murdered have also been seen wandering in the gardens.
- Several people are buried in unconsecrated land and their voices can be heard callng out some nights.
- Orbs (floating lights) have also been seen.
- One room has allegedly got a trapped demon in it.
- The same room also has the ghosts of two women, one who stands by the window and one who is on the bed.
Pengersick Castle in Cornwall is a striking building and has many good reasons to make a visit. It's primarily a private residence, but the owners make the house and grounds available as often as they can and are investing in research and digs to find out more about the house and grounds.
The ghost tours are very popular.
Always phone ahead and make an appointment for a tour. There is a charge of £5/person.
Pengersick Castle Directions
Pengersick Castle is probably the most haunted place in Britain.
Pengersick Castle Location & Details
Can I Stay Here?: No, Pengersick Castle is a private residence
Are there Tours?: Yes, there are ghost walks and ghost tours, by appointment only.
Telephone: 01736 762579
More in This Series of Haunted Places in Cornwall
- 4 Haunted Pubs and Inns in Cornwall, UK
Cornwall is reputedly the most haunted county in the British Isles. With it's long history of pirates, ghosts, pixies and other legends, it's always had a mystical feel about it. This page will help you to...
More by this Author
Cornwall is reputedly the most haunted county in the British Isles - check out these haunted pubs and inns in Cornwall next time you're passing.
Whether it's approaching Halloween, or you're just looking for something different to do, then ghost tours can provide some great entertainment, especially if they're ghost tours after dark. With Cornwall having a...
Reheating cooked chicken meat is not dangerous, but you do need to know how to do it safely. Find out how to safely reheat leftover cooked chicken so it turns out perfectly every time.