Delaware Shore Hotels
The Delaware shores, a popular area for thousands of summer vacationers, stretches along Delaware Route 1 (DE 1) along the Maryland-Delaware line on the eastern Atlantic. This 103 mile stretch of road is where some of the most well known beach towns are located. DE 1 starts at Fenwick Island, Delaware, right on the border of the north end of Ocean City, Maryland. Going north from this point will take you through Bethany Beach, Delaware State Park Beach, Dewey Beach and Rehoboth Beach. Rehoboth Beach is also well known for Tanger Outlet Shopping Centers, where bus loads of excited shoppers come from all over to get great deals on designer merchandise. The outlet centers are a shopper's dream with over 400 discount designer stores.
The small town of Rehoboth is loved by many for it's quaint eclectic ambiance, it's unique shops and the many well known restaurants, boardwalk, amusements, clubs and more. To get to Rehoboth one must cross over the newly constructed Indian River Bridge which officially went into operation on January 20, 2012. The bridge connects Rehoboth at the point where the Indian River Bay and the Atlantic Ocean meet.
The towns of Fenwick, Bethany and Dewey are small towns that do not have many hotels. The town of Rehoboth is larger and with more beach, has more hotels than Bethany or Dewey.
Turtle Crossing Rehoboth Beach Delaware
I live in the Fenwick Delaware area so I am very familiar with the beach towns that are located along Route 1, from Maryland going north to Delaware. The hotels that are listed here are based on my own personal knowledge and which I know are conveniently located and ocean front or ocean view. I have hand picked the hotels listed because they are clean, well maintained and popular among the thousands of visitors that pack these shores each summer.
Interesting Trivia: near the Delaware Seashore State Park on the four-lane DE 1, there is an area of road in which the turtles are very fond of crossing to get to the Indian River Bay wet lands. There are several signs along this stretch of highway to warn drivers about the turtle crossing. Although this may sound like something from a Dr. Seuss book, it is not uncommon for cars to have to maneuver around several turtles attempting to cross a four-lane highway. The author does not know how many unfortunate turtles have not made it across, however, luckily there have been no accidents or injuries tied to any turtles.
Bethany Beach offers a small boardwalk and side streets with all kinds of wonderful shops and restaurants. This area of the shore is small and there are not many hotels but more privately owned condos for rent. The beach in prime season can be crowded as the sand area is limited.
The Addy Sea - very lovely ocean front bed & breakfast that makes you feel like you are back in the Victorian era. Right in the middle of all that the charming town of Bethany has to offer.
Holiday Inn Express - nice and reasonably priced located on Route 1 in Bethany. About two blocks from the beach but in the heart of town.
All About Bethany Beach - this link will provide lots of great information and photos of the area and beach.
Dewey Beach is only one mile long and three blocks wide, but even with it's petite size packs full houses during the summer months. Great little town to enjoy the beach and walk to shops and restaurants never needing the use of a car. It has been a favorite spot for number of folks who return year after year.
Sights & Sounds of Dewey Beach - Great videos and photos to experience Dewey Beach
1. Atlantic View Motel - Nice location right on the ocean and moderately priced
2. Adams Ocean Front Resort Hotel - Located on the beach, has a pool, clean and lower priced for ocean front.
3. Best Western Golden - although it is not located on the beach it is a very good location to walk to many stores, restaurants and other attractions. It is very close to Rehoboth Beach.
4. Sea Esta Motels - they have 4 separate hotels but they are nice for a good price and they are PET FRIENDLY which is hard to find in the area.
Rehoboth Beach is the largest town with the most to offer. There is the boardwalk with the grand bandstand offering nightly entertainment, clean beautiful beaches, and tons of amusements, restaurants, shopping and clubs. Great fun for kids and adults alike.
1. Atlantic Sands Hotel - located right on the boardwalk with an oceanfront pool, spa and other amenities loved by past guests.
2. Beach View Hotel - excellent location, well kept and consistently good reviews by past guests on TripAdvisor.
3. Boardwalk Plaza Hotel - lovely, up-scale AAA Four-Diamond rating with heated indoor pool. Offers an area with concierge service for adults vacationing without children.
4. Henlopen Hotel - located oceanfront on the boardwalk this hotel offers the rooftop "Salero" for special events such as weddings, reunions or business conferences. There have been many who have 'tied the knot' on the beach and let the Henlopen house and feed the guests.
Chesapeake Crab Cakes
Best Crab Cakes Around
The northeast coastal area is famous for the delicious blue crabs. Some of the local restaurants are known for the best crab cakes to be found anywhere. Living in this area, I was lucky to be an insider who got hold of one of the well known crab cake recipes and I am sharing it here.
One secret ingrediant in many of the best crab cakes is a seasoning called J.O. No. 1 which can be purchased on line. The company is in Baltimore, Maryland and many well known restaurants use this spice in their recipes. J.O. No. 1, website.
- 1 pound lump or backfin crabmeat, blue crab if possible
- 1 teaspoon J.O. No. 1 Spice, Old Bay (substitution)
- 1 tablespoon mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 slices of white bread crusts removed, broken into small pieces and moistened with milk
More by this Author
A comprehensive guide to Caribbean Cruises, Cruise Lines and Caribbean Cruise itineraries. Complete listing of the Caribbean ports of call and the three regions in the Caribbean. Cruise Ships and itineraries of the...
Vistors have been coming to Ocean City, Maryland since the early 1900's. There are so many attractions and events to enjoy that Ocean City Maryland attracts guests from all over the United States as well as many from...
What is your animal personality profile. Studies show four basic personality types, the bull, owl, lamb and tiger. Knowing the types of personalities and understanding the differences improves sales, customer service,...