How to Make an Emergency Car Heater
When traveling, it’s important to be prepared. When traveling in inclement weather, it’s even more important. You should be sure to have blankets and extra food/snacks, but it can also be helpful to pack an emergency car heater. In some areas or in a particularly bad storm, it could be hours before anyone can help you, so an emergency car heater can be a life saver (or at least a life sucks-a-bit-less-because-I’m-not-completely-frozen maker). The best part is, you can give yourself piece of mind with just a few dollars worth of supplies.
You will need:
· Metal coffee can or other similarly sized can
· Toilet paper
· Rubbing alcohol
· Aluminum foil
· First aid kit
· Any other item you can fit that might be useful
· Directions, especially if this is for someone else’s car (example: I made a bunch of these as Christmas gifts—the recipients will need instructions so they know what to do with the odd assemblage in a coffee can)
Put all items in the coffee can and store it in your car, somewhere you’ll be able to access it in case of an emergency.
Directions for Use
1. Remove everything from the can except the toilet paper.
2. Pour rubbing alcohol over the toilet paper. Allow it to soak for about 10 minutes.
3. Crack windows slightly for ventilation
4. Use a match to light the alcohol-soaked paper.
5. Set on a stable area so it won’t tip over. This should burn for up to eight hours.
6. To extinguish, use the foil to cover the coffee can. This will remove oxygen, and the fire will go out within a couple minutes.
- Now In Control
Our blog-Join us as we take control of our finances, our house, our health, and our lives.
- Make Your Own Emergency Car Kit
I know that you aren't supposed to carry anything extra in your car in order to save gas, however an emergency car kit is a must have for everyone in the winter. You don't have to spend a bunch of money on a...
- Prepare Your Car, Kit For Winter Survival, In Case Of The Worst Snow
Imagine that you drive to work in the morning and the snow is falling. More snow is expected, but hey, you can't stay home every time it snows a bit, can you? So you go to work and the snow keeps falling, the...
- Snow Emergency, Blizzard 2011 Car Emergency Survival Guide
US. Weather reports herald the season for snow emergencies, blizzards and icy road conditions. A careless, unlucky or malevolent moment can equal disaster for unprepared drivers and travelers. Take the...
Have you ever been stranded on the side of the road due to a car emergency?See results without voting
More by this Author
Companies will pay you to print and use coupons from their sites! Lindsey Everyone knows that coupons can save you money, but did you know they can actually make you money? Some companies are actually willing to pay...
I love Menards, and despite my husband's belief, my love of it is independant of it's song (though I do love me a catchy jingle). The song is true, though. You can save big money at Menards! Plenty...
Are you looking to be your own boss? A kettle corn business might be the perfect business opportunity for you. The start-up costs are relatively low, and once you’ve made enough money to cover the cost...