Enterprise Place, Beachwood, Ohio
Prominently overlooking Cleveland’s busy East Side interchange of Chagrin Boulevard and Interstate 271 in Beachwood, Ohio, is Enterprise Place, a five-story, 125,000 square foot office building completed in 1986.
In the early 1980s, Frank Porter, Sr. was the owner of 30 acres of prime real estate abutting the highway interchange, land he envisioned as the eventual home of a cluster of high-end auto dealerships. The City of Beachwood had other plans, however. As Beachwood had in the previous decades become a prime corporate office address — especially along the Chagrin Boulevard corridor from Green Road east to the interstate — the City wished to capitalize on and expand that success into ‘Science Park’, a proposed hybrid corporate office/tech development concept.
Once the required Science Park rezoning took effect, Mr. Porter opted to build a series of office structures and a hotel. He enlisted The Architects Collaborative (TAC) of Cambridge, MA, a firm founded in 1945 by renowned Bauhaus architect Walter Gropius, to masterplan the overall development, and to prepare the architectural design of the first structure. TAC was one of the first notable firms in the U.S. to emphasize a collaborative teamwork approach to architectural practice, often allowing all members of the firm to actively participate in individual project design.
The resulting structure stands today as a stacked-cube assemblage of white precast panels and banded glass, piped with red accents. Its five floors recede and serrate, creating multiple corner offices having great views, and allowing for a number of posh penthouse suites with individual rooftop terraces. The building’s form embraces its roundabout drop-off, with flagpoles and landscaping decorating its main lobby entrance. Parking is arrayed about the building’s base. Enterprise Place remains one of the most elegant and visually striking of Beachwood’s many corporate office buildings.
Despite their design success with Enterprise Place, The Architects Collaborative suffered financial troubles throughout the remainder of the 1980s that contributed to the firm’s eventual demise in 1988. Harvard University acquired the architectural firm’s headquarters building in Cambridge in lieu of moneys owed.
Enterprise Place was acquired jointly by Goldberg Companies and Forest City Enterprises in 1998, and successive improvements were then made to the building and grounds. A free-standing P. F. Chang’s China Bistro restaurant was also added to the property’s frontage on Chagrin Boulevard.
- See Cleveland Now!
Check out this slide show and its descriptives for a taste of the eclectic architecture, design and urban character of The Greatest Location in the Nation — Cleveland, Ohio.
- Cleveland's Old Stone Church
Old Stone Church A dark and commanding presence on Cleveland’s Public Square since the early 1800s, Old Stone Church now stands among its much larger and younger neighbors: the Terminal Tower, Key Center and the former BP Headquarters (now 200...
- 55 Public Square, Cleveland, Ohio
55 Public Square, Cleveland, Ohio From the completion of The Terminal Tower in 1930 through nearly the next 30 years, downtown Cleveland suffered a severe drought of construction of significant structures. That drought finally ended in 1958 with the.
- The Terminal Tower: A Cleveland Landmark
To most Cleveland residents, this structure towering over Public Square is the most recognized icon of the City.
- Cleveland's Key Tower
Key Tower, Cleveland, Ohio When this office tower was completed in 1991, it became the nation’s tallest structure between New York and Chicago. Even today, after recent building booms in Hong Kong, China, Dubai and elsewhere, Key Tower remains...
- Cleveland's Tower City Center
Enjoy the grandeur of one of Cleveland's most enthralling interior spaces, the skylit atrium court of the Shops at Tower City Center.
- See Cleveland's Horseshoe Casino
Gambling has come to The Forest City, and it's housed on multiple floors of one of the landmark structures crafted in the 1930s as part of the Terminal Tower complex overlooking ClevePublic Square.
- Signature Square, Beachwood, Ohio
One of the more architecturally distinctive office properties along Beachwood, Ohios substantial corporate corridor along Chagrin Boulevard.
- DDR Headquarters, Beachwood, Ohio
Developers Diversified Realty Corporation known to many by its stock ticker identity of DDR.
- Tower East, Shaker Heights, Ohio
High-rise office building that overlooks the complex and heavily-trafficked six-way intersection of Chagrin Boulevard, Van Aken Boulevard, and Warrensville Center.
More by this Author
This classic structure now houses a downtown gourmet grocery serving the increasing in-town residential crowd.
This community resembles a quaintly traditional English garden village transplanted to the American Great Lakes region.
Optimize land use and parking convenience