Volcano Havoc! & Help for those Stranded
About a week ago I wrote a Hub on British Slangs. A lot of people read it (thanks for your response) and I’m sure it put some in the mood for a holiday in London.
Well, sadly – I would ask you not to pack your bags yet, as hell is boiling over in Iceland’s Volcano which is producing a big Ash cloud, making it dangerous for planes to fly through as all the engines would fail.
The news update every day is: “flights might leave the next day at the earliest”. People turn up at airports and then again it's “flights might leave tomorrow”. However, from the live photos shown on the News, its evident that no planes will be flying for at least another few days.
John Cleese - Monty Python and Fawlty Towers star
John Cleese (above) paid £3,300 for a Taxi from Oslo to Brussels after being stranded in Norway by the travel chaos.
It has caused so much Chaos and Disruption:
- People can’t get home to deal with family emergencies. Some have relatives in hospital.
- People who are returning to work after the Easter holidays, can’t get home.
- Fresh food being flown in from other Countries is starting to go bad.
- World Leaders cancelling trips to Poland State Funeral.
- Concerts cancelled – but somehow Whitney Houston made it to Dublin via Ferry.
- Delay in International mail. (International Couriers)
- People being stranded financially. I hope banks will be sympathetic.
- It’s costing airlines £200 Million pounds a day and some are temporarily thinking of laying off staff. Again, I am hoping the Government will Bail them out here.
According to the Weather Forcast 18 April - Things may improve as there is a storm beginning to develop in the Atlantic. Winds will come in from the South West blowing the Ash away from Europe – allowing planes to fly again.
Also, Germany is undertaking test flights to see if they can start flying.
**Update 20 April
If you are still stranded, make your way to Calais Port, France or Santander Port, Spain. Royal Navy ships have been sent to pick up travellers to bring them back to the UK. For those coming from Asia, Africa and America. Make your way to Spain / Madrid to get on the ship. Also, hundreds of coaches are on standby to bring people from Spain.
(Arrangements made by Prime Minister, Gordon Brown)
** P&O Ferries
Car Hire Companies:
You could get a group of 20-30 people together, that are going to the same destination. All contribute money and hire a Coach home.
Worried about Relatives?
Foreign Office have issued a Helpline:
Helpline: 44 207 008 000
Good Luck to everyone.
(18th April 2010)
Are you thinking what I'm thinking - "So Beautiful, yet so deadly!"
More by this Author
How to stay fit and stop tiredness.
Interesting things to know about Nigeria.
Things I have personally noticed about people who laugh a lot. Thought provoking. Laughter is Good.