Cedar Fairmount, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Lying atop a high bluff east of Cleveland’s downtown, Cleveland Heights was one of the last major ‘suburban’ cities ringing Cleveland to develop. Existing as a rather sparsely populated region of farmers and quarriers in the early 1800s, Cleveland Heights became a Hamlet by 1901 and a Village by 1903. A quadrupling of the local population by 1921 brought about the incorporation of the City of Cleveland Heights.
With the development of improved roadways and streetcar lines to Cleveland Heights, the construction of mansions, Revival homes, bungalows, apartment houses, and commercial districts began in earnest. A prime nexus of commercial development was the Y-shaped intersection of Cedar Road and Fairmount Boulevard, just above their descent downhill to the eastern fringe of the City of Cleveland and the University Circle area.
An early example of a planned neighborhood shopping district, Cedar Fairmount is today a special improvement district and a thriving hub of the local residential community. The multi-story Heights Center Building, a Tudor-styled structure of offices and apartments over retail establishments — intended to evoke a miniature English village, was completed in 1918. The Alcazar, a Moorish-inspired residential hotel with restaurant and club facilities, followed in 1923.
The Cedar Fairmount district is currently home to more than 100 businesses, including professionals, services, and restaurants, among a dense surrounding population of homes and apartments. The University Circle area of Cleveland lies just a mile or so below Cedar Fairmount, as do Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals of Cleveland. The Cleveland Clinic occupies a sprawling campus just a bit farther west.
One of Cedar Fairmount’s best-known and most highly visible prizes is the Barton R. Deming House, built to follow the rising curvature of Fairmount Boulevard at the southeastern edge of the commercial district. Mr. Deming was an early Cleveland Heights developer, transforming acreage of farms and orchards into the Euclid Golf Allotment, a Garden-City-inspired arrangement of curving streets studded by gracious homes in green settings.
Designed by Howell & Thomas Architects, and completed in 1914, the original Deming residence is a four-story structure of French Tudor eclecticism, barely one room wide, but many rooms long, and finished in brick, stone and wood of creamy earth tones. The home was converted to a block of apartments by the 1970s, yet remains a signature impression of Cedar Fairmount’s gloried historic past.
Enjoy the ambience of a quaint English village transplanted to the Midwest.
- Homes of Lakewood, Ohio
You'd have to travel far and wide to see the range of home styles expressed along just a few streets of this charming tree-lined neighborhood.
- More Homes of Lakewood, Ohio
Let's continue our survey of the varied residential architecture styles of Lakewood.
- Still More Homes of Lakewood, Ohio
Partake of the wide variety of architectural styles embodied in the charming residences of this Midwestern suburb.
- The Glidden House, Cleveland, Ohio
The Glidden House, Cleveland, Ohio The Glidden House is one of the few remaining glorious mansions of turn-of-the-Century Cleveland. This French Gothic structure — with carriage house, gazebo, tropical garden patio, elegant grounds, fine interior...
- Brunswick Town Center
Brunswick Town Center In 2004, with the opening of Brunswick Town Center, the City of Brunswick, Ohio placed its bet on reasoned mixed-use planning and development vs. commercial corridor sprawl. Brunswick had long been a community held hostage by...
- Cleveland's University Circle
Anyone who has traveled to Cleveland has marveled at the wonder that is University Circle.
- Main Avenue Bridge, Cleveland, Ohio
The Main Avenue Bridge, Cleveland, Ohio Almost no one ever refers to the Main Avenue Bridge (or Viaduct) in Cleveland by its true name. Dedicated in early 1986 to the memory of the city’s 45th Mayor, Harold H. Burton, the span will to locals and...
- Cleveland Lakefront State Park, Cleveland, Ohio
Cleveland Lakefront State Park, Cleveland, Ohio Cleveland Lakefront State Park is actually a cluster of lakefront parks that stretch along miles of Cleveland’s Lake Erie shoreline, connected by a bike trail and a series of local roads, state...
- Courtyard on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
One of the more recent and successful of efforts to sustain the historic Coventry shopping district in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.
- The Goodtime III, Cleveland, Ohio
The Goodtime III, Cleveland, Ohio What better way to see Cleveland’s sparkling skyline than just after a shimmering sunset over the waters of Lake Erie — wineglass in hand and live music pulsing beneath —from the topmost sun deck of the...
- Coventry District, Cleveland, Ohio
Flash back to the days of hippies.
More by this Author
This community resembles a quaintly traditional English garden village transplanted to the American Great Lakes region.
This office tower forms its shard-like corner overlooking a sharp bend in the snake-like Cuyahoga River, on the banks of which Cleveland was originally founded.
Optimize land use and parking convenience