Fairmount Presbyterian Church, Cleveland, Ohio

Fairmount Presbyterian Church, Cleveland, Ohio
Fairmount Presbyterian Church, Cleveland, Ohio

The Fairmount Presbyterian Church began services in this fine stone edifice at 2757 Fairmount Road in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, on Palm Sunday of 1942, March 29th.

The origins of the Church’s congregation were recorded as early as 1912, during the earliest population growth of the Village of Cleveland Heights. Within the following three years, an original frame church structure was erected on the current Fairmount Road property. By October of 1916, the religious group’s Charter was drafted. The following month, the white church saw its first religious services, attended by about 45 congregants.

Just one year later, however, that first church structure succumbed to a devastating fire ignited by lightning. The faithful saw to it that their ravaged church was promptly replaced by a new facility, and services resumed within less than a month. By 1920, this newer church was often filled to capacity by the growing congregation, so, in 1922, a Tudor-styled Parish House was built to allow for expanded services. That Parish House included an additional sanctuary, plus dining hall, kitchen, offices and various social rooms.

As the church’s mission continued to expand in step with the population growth of the surrounding community, the need for a larger sanctuary became evident. By the late 1930s, a campaign was launched to finance a newer, larger church. According to the church’s own website, the congregation’s aim was to create a “good but not grandiose sanctuary — not a miniature cathedral, but a parish church of simple lines and sound construction”. Once the current stone church was in use, the former sanctuary within the Parish House was converted to the current Andersen Hall.

A smaller Chapel, highlighting dramatic stained glass and sculpture, and having more than a dozen new classrooms in its basement, was added in 1956. The church complex also includes the Ferris Library (named for Fairmount’s third pastor), the Columbarium (a meditative and crypt area), and The Garth, a contemplative outdoor area modeled on a traditional courtyard with cloisters. 

More by this Author


No comments yet.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.

    Click to Rate This Article