Fascinating Places To Visit In Cologne, Germany
The Shrine of the Three Wise Men
Sightseeing in Cologne, Germany
Cologne or Köln is located in North Rhine Westphalia which is also called NRW. It is one of the oldest and historical cities in Germany. Besides that, it is the 4th largest city in this country. It has a lot of historical tourist attractions. The locals speak Kölsch as their own dialect but German is the main language.
Two weeks ago, I was in Cologne with my hubby for the 4th time. We have met our Irish friends who were travelling on the continent and they were having a few days stay in Cologne before going back home to Ireland. It was the opportunity for me to take some photos of Cologne city and its tourist main attractions. It was a wonderful afternoon with them sightseeing in the city and at the Rhine river.
Cologne has a lot of tourist attractions. The first thing that I was having on my list every time I went to Cologne was the most important and historical place for me to see, before I forget it. The Kölner Dom / Cologne Cathedral.
There are lots of places to see in this city and so I suggest you to go to Kölner Dom first when you come to Cologne for a vacation. Then to the other tourist attractions like the Chocolate Museum, Fragrance Museum and many others as you have planned.
Hauptbahnhof, The Starting Point
Cologne Cathedral / Kölner DomClick thumbnail to view full-size
1. Cologne Cathedral or Kölner Dom
Kölner Dom as what the locals called it, is the Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. Peter and Mary. It is a Gothic style cathedral built in 1248. Meister Gerhard was the one who started the building of the Cologne Cathedral. When he died, it took 300 years until the building of the cathedral was continued and was finished on Oct.15,1880.
The Gothic Cologne Cathedral is located a few meters away from the Rhine river, near the Hauptbahnhof (Main train station). It is the famous historical landmark in the city which has around 20 thousand tourist and local visitors everyday. There is no entrance fee to be in the cathedral but you can donate if you want to. There are more than 500 steps going up to the top platform of the cathedral where you can see the beauty of the city and the Rhine river. BTW, there´s no elevator to go up the platform. Good luck for climbing.
A must see: I have included You Tube videos below to know more about Cologne Cathedral.
Inside The Cologne CathedralClick thumbnail to view full-size
What to see inside the Kölner Dom
- The Naves of the cathedral are huge and beautiful with Gothic medieval ornaments inside.
- The Shrine of the Three Kings was the reason why the Cologne Cathedral was built. The sarcophagus contains the bones of the Three Kings or Magi, Caspar, Melchor and Balthazar, who brought Myrrh, Frankincense and gold as gifts for baby Jesus. It was said that the Three Kings relics was taken from Milan and was originally taken from Constantinople before that. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_Magi)
- The Medieval stained windows which are very stunning to look at. The stained windows have its Biblical stories, as well as modern art. It was said to be created and designed by Gerhard Richter, a German artist.
- The "Swallows Nest" Organ which is used regularly during the Mass.
- The Triptych Altar of the Three Kings made by Stefan Lochner, A German painter who painted in Gothic style of painting. (Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Lochner)
- The Treasure Chamber has its own room and you have to pay to see the beautiful ancient artifacts of that time.
Stefan Lochner Image
2. Römisch-Germanisches Museum
The Roman Germanic Museum is a museum with various collections of archeological Romans artifacts. It preserves the cultural heritage of the Roman settlement in Cologne. There are plenty of amazing beautiful Roman glasses which were used in the burials and funerals of the Romans. The museum is not far from the Cologne cathedral.
Chocolate Museum, Cologne Germany
3. Chocolate Museum
This is the best museum for me to stroll around. Seeing how the "drinks of the Gods" are made especially that huge chocolate fountain inside the museum, is awesome. There is a cafe to treat yourself to a delicious cake and a cup of hot heavenly chocolate drink while seeing the view of the beautiful Rine river before or after you can buy bars of chocolate to bring with you home.
The chocolate museum is near the Rhine river and the old historic Cologne city.
Photos at the Rhine River in Cologne, GermanyClick thumbnail to view full-size
4. Fragrance Museum
The Farina Fragrance Museum is the factory building of the popular Eau de Cologne 4711. Eau de Cologne or Kölnisch Wasser was created in the late eighteenth century by Johann Farina (Source: Wikipedia) and is the most fascinating scent that I have smell here in Germany.
This museum is located near the Town Hall of Cologne.
Cologne Cathedral Panorama
- Cologne Cathedral / Kölner Dom was built in 1248 and was finished in 1880.
- It has 11 bells and it is a cultural UNESCO heritage.
- The seat of the Archbishop of Cologne and its administrations.
- The Cologne Cathedral was hit by many bombs during the second world war and it was partly ruined until it was fixed after the war.
- The Shrine of the Three Kings is 850 years now since it was brought from Milan to Cologne by the late Archbishop Dassel.
Video of Cologne at the Rhine River, Germany
- Research and plan first before taking your vacation in Germany.
- Visit the tourists information center first for any flyers or information needed for your tour.
- You can book for a guided tour for the places you want to explore. The guided tour is in different languages (English, Spanish, French, Italian or maybe German) and so you can choose which one you can understand.
- Ask for a package deal tour for a group. You might get a bargain.
- It is best to visit the Cologne Cathedral or any museums in the middle of the week, before or after the long summer vacation.
- You can take a sightseeing tour with the bus or a river boat cruise at the Rhine River and later take your lunch or dinner at one of the German restaurants serving delicious local food of your choice while viewing the beauty of the Rhine and the Hohenzollern Bridge.
- Check for a Cologne Summer Festival. There´s always something going on in Cologne.
- There´s a Cologne Fireworks and Lights at the Rhine every year. It would be an amazing highlight for your vacation.
- Don´t forget to visit the Old Cologne. The historical Altes Köln where you can take a rest from your travel and enjoy your meal in a restaurant of your choice.
You Tube Videos
Cologne Tourism Flyers and Brochures
A Short Video of Cologne Cathedral
What tourist attractions you would love to see in Cologne?See results without voting
Map of Germany
Cologne Cathedral Video
© 2015 Thelma Alberts
More by this Author
This is a video hub about my second visit in Herrenchiemsee, The Royal Palace of King Ludwig II of Bavaria, Germany. On this visit I was only able to take a video of the palace and its huge park for it is still forbiden...
This is a travel hub about my visit in one of the fascinating cities in Germany. Munich is a must place to go when you are in Germany for it has a lot of beautiful places to see.
Have you tried paraffin wax for your hands and feet? If not, try it and you will see how soft your hands and feet will be. It is a soothing wax spa treatment you´ll love to experience.