First Federal Savings Bank Building (Charter One), Cleveland
The former First Federal Savings Bank Building was erected in 1987 at 1215 Superior Avenue, at what was then the eastward end of downtown Cleveland’s high-rise office and financial district.
The bank headquarters structure occupies a deceptively narrow parcel, elongated north-south along the eastern flank of East 12th Street, just north of Superior Avenue. Its neighbors at the downtown intersection include Reserve Square (the bank’s prior home), the Diamond Building, and the Eaton Building.
Designed by the architectural firm of Richard L. Bowen & Associates, under the direction of Bob Fiala, Randy Kaehr and Rick Zimmerman, the building was intended to address the desire of the bank’s founders for a significant visual presence on the city skyline.
Its seven stories and substantial atrium are thus wrapped in multiple narrow horizontal bands of reflective blue glazing, deceiving the public eye as to exactly how many (or how few) stories are within. The building’s base is wrapped in a crisp composition of white and gray marble, suited to the bank’s history and integrity, while its height is further accented by its bold atrium-entrance slash and the lesser notches and shard facets in the upper glass skin. First Federal’s striking color presence signaled its true emergence on the local banking scene.
In 1988, Charles “Bud” Koch became CEO of First Federal Savings Bank, a subsidiary of Charter One Financial, Inc., taking over the role from his father Charles Joseph Koch. Both had played a key role in the initial development and planning of the 1215 Superior Avenue headquarters building. By 2002, First Federal had outgrown its ‘thrift’ status and abandoned its Federal charter to become a national bank. Two years later, the newly named Charter One Bank was acquired by Citizen’s Financial Group, thereby becoming part of a much larger consolidated financial enterprise. The original bank headquarters building still operates today as Charter One Bank.
- Eaton Center, Cleveland, Ohio
This all-glass-clad edifice towering 356 feet above the intersection of East 12th Street and Superior Avenue in downtown Cleveland is the Eaton Center.
- St. Clair Place, Cleveland, Ohio
Erected in 1979, St. Clair Place in downtown Cleveland is one of the citys central apartment facilities for elderly subsidized housing.
- Reserve Square, Cleveland, Ohio
Forming a part of the high-rise wall that runs north-south along the eastern edge of Clevelands downtown is the twin-slab Reserve Square complex.
More by this Author
This community resembles a quaintly traditional English garden village transplanted to the American Great Lakes region.
An historic gentlemen's club anchors one of the nation's oldest philanthropic organizations.
Optimize land use and parking convenience
No comments yet.