Flinders Ranges: Gateway to Great Australian Outback and Adventure Holidays
The Flinders Ranges is a magnificent mountain range on the edge of the great Australian Outback, in South Australia, about 200 km north of Adelaide. It is a fantastic get-away location for people interested thrills and spills, wilderness adventures, spectacular scenery, fascinating natural heritage and amazing eco-tourism. It offers bushwalking, camping out among the stars, mountain bike and motor bike riding trails, 4WD Outback Adventures, wildlife expeditions and Aboriginal social heritage.
The Flinders Ranges runs for more than 400 km all the way from Lake Callabonna to Port Pirie. The most well known natural feature in the Flinders Ranges is the amazing Wilpena Pound, which is a large natural amphitheatre in a sickle-shape, covering and area of more than 70 square km.
It includes St Mary Peak which is 1170m high. In the northern part of the Flinders Ranges is the world renowned Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary and the spectacular Vulkathunha-Gammon Ranges National Park.
In the south visitors can enjoy the Pichi Richi scenic train and Mount Remarkable National Park. There are many more national parks and natural areas in the Flinders Ranges, such as Mount Brown Conservation Park, the Mount Remarkable National Park, Flinders Ranges National Park, Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary and the Dutchmans Stern Conservation Park. The Heysen Trail and Mawson Trail offer wonderful trails for bushwalkers, cyclists, campers and horse-riders with amazing scenery and wildlife. The Flinders Ranges Region is a magnificent destination for a get-away with a fabulous range array of activities and attractions all within 2.5 hours drive from Adelaide. There are several wonderful wine regions on the way including the Clare Valley Wine Region. Flinders Ranges has excellent facilities for a very wide range of activities to satisfy the desires of virtually all travelers. If you're desiring adventure with lots of thrills and spills and a pioneering challenge then it is easy to venture a little further inland into the astonishing Outback of South Australia. Go 4WD driving on adventure, ecotourism and cultural trails into the majestic seclusion of the lonely Outback. Take your time discovering the famous wilderness tracks in the area.
Visitors can take a scenic plane tour or float over the Flinders Ranges in a hot sir balloon. There are several magnificent bushwalking and hiking trails, areas to try fossicking for opals, and even unique golf courses with no grass. The local population can give you all the tips you require for a journey in the Outback. So meet with them in the pub, share a drink with them, and find out about their secret favourite spots where only the locals go.
Local events include:
- Tastes Of The Outback -a smorgasbord of local foods and wine providing tastings, and lots of information about local produce.
- The Peterborough Art and Cultural Festival - includes shows, exhibitions, entertainment and markets continuing over a 10 day period
- Rock the Mount - a thrill-a-minute weekend of live music, spectacular entertainment and celebrations all with the backdrop of the stunning Australian bush scenery.
- Coober Pedy Opal Festival - which features wonderful opals, and a celebration of underground lifestyle and multiculturalism, all in the famous Coober Pedy landscape.
- Desert Detective Day for the kids
- The Outback Odyssey - a 15 day journey of over 900 km duration on mountain bikes through the unique landscape of the Australian outback. Each day is an new adventure.
- The Melrose Fat Tyre Festival - featuring mountain bike riding at its finest over a long weekend.
For further information about tourist activities contact The Flinders Ranges Tourist Association
More by this Author
Australia has many fabulous Hot Air Ballooning rides, flights, tours and adventures over wineries, the ocean and reef and the outback. See locations, packages, tours.
The Daintree and Cape Tribulation coastline is a unique and special place on the Tropical North Coast of Queensland, Australia, where the Tropical World Heritage rainforest plunges down steep hillsides to the blue...
This article discusses shoulder pain and describes a set of exercises that may help alleviate the symptoms and relieve the pain. Read more here!