Fun Fall Things To Do near Albany, Saratoga & Glens Falls, NY
Upstate New York is gorgeous in the fall, and there are countless fun activities for people of all ages. One thing I love about my friends and family is that they enjoy getting out and trying different things as much as I do. Here are some activities that I recommend from personal experience.
Fun Fall "Fests"
If if has "fest" in the name, you gotta try it! If you happened to miss any of these entertaining events this fall, have no fear - they are annual events. It will give you something to look forward to for next year!
- Where: Albany, NY
- When: September 21, 2013 (usually the 3rd Saturday in September)
- What it is: A block party on Lark Street with live bands, food & craft vendors, a silent disco and adult beverages
- Who should go: It's open to all ages, but I suggest ages 18-35 as a general guideline
- Admission: FREE
- Helpful hint: be prepared to park far away and walk!
- Website: http://www.larkstreet.org/events/larkfest.cfm
- Where: Ballston Spa, NY - Saratoga County Fairgrounds
- When: September 13 & 14, 2013 (Halfway to St. Patrick's Day!)
- What it is: everything Irish - music, dancers, food, beer, vendors, and people
- Who should go: anyone who is Irish, knows someone Irish, or wants to be Irish! this is another more adult-friendly fest
- Admission: Adults $16-20, Children under 12 FREE
- Website: http://irish2000fest.com/
Adirondack Balloon Festival
- Where: Glens Falls, NY
- When: September 19-22, 2013 (3rd/4th weekend in September)
- What it is: a sight to see! almost 100 hot air balloons set up and then depart from the same airport field; also food/craft vendors and kids activities
- Who should go: this is truly an event for ALL ages - bring the whole family (and your camera)!
- Admission: FREE!
- Helpful hint: plan to arrive EARLY to allow enough time for parking and walking to the balloon area
- Where: Albany, NY
- When: usually the first Saturday in October
- What it is: German beer, food, music, and even dachshund races! they close down a section of Broadway and set up huge tents in the street to help accommodate the thousands who attend
- Who should go: adults who enjoy drinking out of steins during daylight hours
- Admission: $7
- Helpful hint: it's cash only, so hit up the ATM before you go to avoid service fees
- Website: http://wolffsbiergarten.com/
- Where: Goold Orchards in Schodack, NY
- When: October 12 & 13, 2013 (Columbus Day weekend)
- What it is: apple & pumpkin picking, wine tasting tent, craft fair, entertainment, kids activities, food vendors, country store (apple pie & cider doughnuts! mmm)
- Who should go: this event screams everything fall; there's something for everyone
- Admission: Adults $8, Children 12 & under FREE, Free Parking!
- Helpful hint: wine tasting costs $8 and includes a souvenir glass
- Website: http://www.goold.com/festival.html
Other Fall Fests To Try:
- Apple & Wine Festival - Altamont
- Troy Chowderfest
Have you ever been in a corn maze at night? All of the sudden you are picturing yourself as a character in a horror movie. Liberty Ridge Farms has the best corn maze around - they create intricate designs in the rows of corn that look amazing from aerial views, and which make their guests wander in circles. They do have navigational clues available, and for October they offer The Harvest Haunted Attraction.
- Where: Liberty Ridge Farm in Schaghticoke, NY
- When: September 21 through November 11, 2013
- What it is: corn maze, barnyard, shows for kids, farm store
- Who should go: most activities are geared toward kids, but the maze is fun for teenagers and adults too (especially at night!)
- Admission: ranges from $8-$17
- Website: http://www.libertyridgefarmny.com/
Up in the Air
What better way to see the beauty of the Adirondacks than by flying over them?! My mom received a gift card for a seaplane flight (the company shares her maiden name - Helm), and she took me along for the ride. The view was spectacular!
Helms Aero Service
- Where: Long Lake, NY
- What it is: a scenic seaplane flight (approx 20 minutes) with amazing views of the Adirondacks
- Who should go: anyone looking for an adventure!
- Helpful hint: not recommended for people with motion sickness (we went across the street to the Adirondack Hotel afterwards so I could get some food... it was still worth it!)
- Website: http://helmsaeroservice.com/
This is not your average hayride! Get in the Halloween spirit with a frightening ride through a haunted forest. Bring your friend with the best scream!
- Where: Double M Haunted Hayrides - Ballston Spa, NY
- When: Thursday - Sunday in October (opening weekend September 27 & 28)
- What it is: a haunted hayride with live actors and special effects, as well as a haunted walk, house, and maze
- Who should go: anyone looking for a good scream (and laugh) - not recommended for the faint of heart or small children!
- Admission: $22 per person - includes four attractions *Reservations Required*
- Helpful Hint: Go to their website for special deals on tickets and group rates
- Website: http://www.mmhauntedhayrides.com/