Fun Attractions In Union City, New Jersey
New Jersey Changes
A former coworker in employment services and education was born in New Jersey and he loves it there. He takes his wife and children to visit New Jersey every year to enjoy the attractions.
He has observed, especially from 2000 - 2016, that the shoreline of New Jersey in the bays along the Atlantic Ocean has receded noticeably.
In fact, houses that formerly stood on solid ground where he grew up are now gone and water stands in their places. This has been incredible to watch over the years. But, people have moved inland and Union City is safe on the other side of Manhattan!
Plenty of activities and attractions present themselves to visitors and residents in this part of New Jersey, including waterfront attractions and water activities, even though the shoreline is shrinking from erosion and rising water levels.
This is the area or near the land that Native American Nations sold to Europeans a few centuries ago. It is part of the birthplace of America.
Fun Attractions And History
Union City is known historically for a number of things:
- Bergenline Avenue - A cultural street full of shops and International dining.
- Early Dutch Immigration (1600 - 1610) - Historic sites and Dutch-inspired buildings are fun to see. This is the area or near the land that Native American Nations sold to Europeans a few centuries ago. It is part of the birthplace of America.
- Embroidery - Union City is the Embroidery Capital of the World since 1872. It is known for its traditional embroidery brought over by European settlers and for its embroidery businesses. Displays of this art are presented at the Park Performing Arts Center regularly.
- German Immigration
- Hispanic Immigration and the Cuban Day Parade, early June down Bergenline from 79th treet to 43rd Street. This parade has replaced NYC's Cuban parades as the largest such event in the tri-state area.
- Film Productions
- Koreatown is located along Broad Street in Palisades Park, north of Union City
- Liberty Hall Museum at Kean University - Mansion of New Jersey’s first elected governor and signer of the US Constitution, William Livingston.
- Monster Mini Golf - 1235 West Chestnut Street, Union NJ 07083.
- Multi-Arts Festival
- Munsee branch of the of Lenni Lenape Native American Nation
- A much attended Passion Play is offered during the Lenten Season
- September: Celebrate Arts Month, with the Union City Arts and Crafts Festival
- Sites on the National Register of Historic Places
- Union City International Film Festival
- Union City Walk of Fame - Tribute to Hispanic individuals. Began with a star for Celia Cruise at 31st and Bergenline.
- Weehawken Dueling Grounds - North of the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel.
The famous Aaron Burr–Alexander Hamilton Duel site is here.
Aaron Burr–Alexander Hamilton Duel Site
- Ferries, Buses, Light Rail - Located at Lincoln Harbor and Lincoln Tunnel at Weehawken just south of Union City.
- Firefighter's Memorial Park- Union City, N.J. | New York Construction - Tribute to the North Hudson Regional Fire and Rescue firefighters fallen in the line of duty since 9/11. Includes a swimming pool.
- Galloping Hill Golf Course - Galloping Hill Golf Course has the 18 hole championship course, a 9 hole practice course and driving range. Please call (908) 686-1556 to make your tee time.
- Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum | New York City - Just across the Hudson River is New York City’s Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum complex is a dynamic, interactive and educational journey that’s fun for all ages and includes a flight deck with 30 authentically restored aircraft, the hands-on Exploreum hall, Growler submarine and more.
- Macy's Fireworks - Watch from the Palisades Cliffs in Union City NJMay'c website with information about the yearly event. Watch from the Palisades Cliffs in Union City.
- Park Performing Arts Center - The historic Park Theatre is world-famous for its annual production of the Passion Play since 1915. This center also houses displays of tradition embroidery.
The Gold Coast
The New Jersey Gold Coast is just south of Union City, beginning at the dueling grounds preserved in Weehawken south to Bayonne.
During the American Revolution, Weehawken was an important place. Military personnel were stationed her on watch to determine the whereabouts and direction of approach of the British soldiers arriving from installations in New York. The Gold Coast was very useful in this respect.
Businesses, shopping, residential, dining places, and multi-use construction all dominate this waterfront area that has developed and improved in the last few decades. New businesses reside side-by-side with historical sites that visitors and residents enjoy.
Gold Coast Residences and Shopping District
- The Peninsula at City Place Luxury Condominiums in Edgewater New Jersey
Relax with your friends and family in a modern and stylish living room at The Peninsula luxury condominiums at City Place in Edgewater New Jersey.
New Jersey Gold Coast Waterfront - Shopping and Businesses
© 2012 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Suggestions for the ultimate Top 10 Travel Goals around the world, and even off-world.
Ten sites come to mind as I think about a long-awaited trip to London. They are slightly different from the list of fascinating and important attractions that many travelers hope to see, but I have a friend in London...
Which phrase is correct in proper English grammar–"in person" or "in-person"? Is it an adjective or an adverb? The answer depends on context.