Gay-Friendly Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro is a leading gay travel destination in South America. For this reason the gay traveler will find that the majority of accommodations are very welcoming to GLBT visitors. Nevertheless, it’s often important for gay travelers to find the hotels that are specifically interested in branding themselves as a gay-friendly hotel with great service and a good location.
The following hotels are reportedly among the best gay-friendly hotels in Rio de Janeiro:
1. Copacabana Palace Hotel. This is a world-famous Rio de Janeiro hotel that is really only great for people who have a whole lot of money to spend on their lodging. It became famous in no small part because many celebrities and members of world royalty opt to stay at this Rio hotel. It is located in Copacabana, a gay hot spot in the region. It is a very luxurious hotel with top of the line dining options in a great historic Art Deco building.
2. Hotel Pestana Rio Atlantico. This hotel is located on Copacabana Beach along Avenida Atlantica, which is considered to be a very gay-friendly part of Rio de Janeiro. The hotel is a member of the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association, which gives it a lot of credit as a gay-friendly hotel. It has spa services, Jacuzzis, a fitness center and plenty of other amenities on site. GayCities calls it a “swanky boutique hotel with rooftop pool and lounge”.
3. Le Meridien. This hotel is another hotel that is located on gay-friendly Avenida Atlantica. It is a five-star hotel and among the tallest of the hotels in this area. It has a romantic gay-friendly French restaurant. It also has a heated outdoor pool on the fourth floor that offers terrific views of the area.
4. Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza Hotel. Another gay hot spot in Rio is Ipanema. In fact, there is a gay beach located there that is quite popular. This hotel is located in a quiet residential area that is very close to his popular gay hot spot. It’s within walking or subway distance to many gay nightlife and shopping options.
5. Hotel Ipanema Inn. This is another Ipanema option but this one is on the more affordable end of the spectrum. In fact, it is considered one of the Rio de Janeiro hotels in terms of price value. It is within walking distance of the beach. It is a few blocks away from the street carnival activities of General Osório Square. Nightclubs and bars are nearby.
6. Hotel Arpoador Inn. This is another budget-friendly gay-friendly hotel in Rio de Janeiro. It competes with Hotel Ipanema Inn in terms of cost value. It overlooks Rua Francisco Bhering, a coconut tree-lined street along Arpoador Beach that is only open to pedestrians. It’s a quieter part of Rio de Janeiro compared to some of the city’s other gay friendly hotel options.
7. La Maison à Rio de Janeiro. This is a gay-friendly boutique guesthouse located in Gavea. As its name suggests it is a Brazilian bed and breakfast inspired by French lodging. This is a nice treat for people who are seeking to enjoy a friendly relaxing getaway in a more remote and quiet part of Rio de Janeiro. It is considered an artistic refuge. There is a shared lounge area that overlooks Corcovado peak and opens onto a sundeck and swimming pool with a waterfall built into it. There is a garden featuring the tropical vegetation of the Tijuca's forest where you can go to mediate or see local wildlife such as monkeys. The bedrooms are themed around “travel around the world”.
More by this Author
Ecocities, also known as sustainable cities, are cities around the world that are designed to require minimal input from the rest of the world and to exert minimal output on the world around them. In other words,...
London is a terrific international city that is gay-friendly and welcoming to visitors. However, there’s stuff that gay travelers often want to know about when visiting even the most welcoming destinations. This...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.