HOW TO DEAL WITH BEING STRANDED AT THE AIRPORT-A SURVIVAL GUIDE
STRANDED AT AIRPORT? You Are Not Alone !
Stranded - At An Airport !
You will agree with me that the most popular and fastest way to travel around the globe today is by air. Commuting between cities is easy and convenient as long as planes fly on schedule. All it takes is a snowstorm, fog, blizzard, smog, volcanic ash to bring down visibility to near zero and you have tight schedules of every airline across multiple airports in that belt thrown out of gear. Most often, rescheduling is out of the question till the air clears up. So, passengers booked on these flights cannot go anywhere and are not sure if and when they can get their next flight. Making matters worse is the backlog of confirmed passengers of every flight. Most have to contend with settling down at the airport while awaiting their turn to fly once again. Almost every winter specially around Christmas, flights get canceled due to blizzards, especially in Northern Europe when people want to be home with their families, but must be satisfied being classified as a stranded passenger at the airport.
Being stranded at an airport can be traumatic, both physically and emotionally. After 3 -5 hours, fatigue sets in. Endless trips to the airline counter drains you even more particularly if you have to attend an important meeting or see a client or be home for an important occasion. The airport soon begins to get overcrowded with the Premium Lounge resembling a railway station and the main area, a refugee camp. A sea of people in awkward sitting and sleeping positions huddled close to their luggage or on top of it greets you when you take a 360 degree turn. Every airport facility soon gets affected and that includes stinking toilets. Adults and children alike get cranky and show their irritation at every slightest pretext. Apart from physical exhaustion, emotional trauma sets in, as your entire life is thrown out of gear. Financial setbacks and missed meetings make you more angry and desperate. Traveling with children can get doubly traumatic as you need to keep your childrens' spirits' up as well.
What To Do When You Are Stranded At An Airport
Dealing with self is important in facing life's challenges, so also when one is stranded at an airport in any part of the world. Killing time is one of the most difficult when one has finished seeing all there is to see at an airport. Calling friends and family and your office from your cell phone takes precedence and then watch some movies and play some games,listened to music,checked your emails, cleaned up your inbox on your IPad or your laptop. How much more of this can you do? There is nothing more to do and that makes you bored. There you have it! Fatigue and boredom at the airport is the hallmark of every stranded passenger.
So, how does one deal with it?
Take Control Of Your Emotions
Getting angry and screaming at the airline desk is not going to solve your problem. No aircraft will take off by your letting off steam.
Psychiatrists advise :
- First, you need to accept your situation. This understanding brings with it a sense of peace. Acceptance also helps you to ward off panic attacks.
- Weather conditions cannot be controlled but one can explain and reschedule appointments and meetings where one's presence is required. This pressure once lifted calms you further and makes you less anxious.
- Do not react to standard delay announcements. Rather find someone of authority to get the whole picture. And remember, the airlines are not responsible for the weather conditions.
- Talk to co-passengers and know that all are in the same boat. It gets your mind off your own problems.
Physicians advise :
- Stay hydrated by drinking water.
- Keep yourself warm by wrapping yourself in a light blanket.
- Do simple stretching exercises to keep your blood circulation going.
Simple Exercises that you can do while stranded in an aircraft waiting for takeoff clearance or in the airport :
Neck muscles : Move the neck slowly from side to side.
Drop the head-chin to chest-and slowly circle the head to one shoulder and over the other shoulder in a full circle.
Arms/ Upper Torso : Raising your arms above your head, stretch as if to touch the ceiling.
Lower Body : Raise each knee to your chest one by one or both together.
Rotate the feet at the ankles first in the clockwise direction and then in the anticlockwise direction.
Placing both feet on the floor,raise your heels until both feet are on the toes. Bring heels back to original position. Next, raise your toes while firmly pressing the heels to the floor.
What To Do When Stranded With Children
When traveling with children, most parents carry favorite board games and toys. This certainly keeps your child or children occupied for sometime, but they do get cranky staying in the same place.
- You will have to constantly invent new stories, games etc, to keep the attention of kids. Get your child to count the number of red bags around or people in red t-shirts.
- Find interesting people in the crowd to make a story out of, using them as characters..
- Some kids love sketching, painting. Get him to sketch or make designs out of paper. Origami is interesting for some kids.
- Kids love books,read it out aloud with him.
- Play an imaginary "hide and seek" where you think of a place to hide in the surrounding and the player ask you questions to find your hiding place.
- Encourage your kid to write about the trip.
- Any activity can be prolonged if you have a contest or a challenge.
- Kids are also prone to infections, since they put their fingers in their mouth. It would be wise to carry a hand sanitizer and plenty of baby wipes if traveling with a toddler. Children need to be kept physically comfortable with plenty of air circulating around them.
- Kids find it difficult to remain in the same place for long periods of time. And they have a lesser attention span, so keep them occupied.
- The golden rule: Never show anxiety, temper or panic when stranded with children. Learn to take deep breaths so as to control your own tiredness, anger and irritation.
Share Your Tips
Have you ever been in stranded at an airport?
Share your tips with us in the Comments section below, as to how you coped with the situation.
- 10 Super Brain Foods For Your Kids
Do you want your kids to do well in school?Do you want them to be good in sports and music as well?It certainly pays to take a look at the daily diet given. Are your children getting proper nutrition and at...
- Why Parents Need To Be Good Role Models For Their Growing Children
A good role model is one that 'walks the talk'. In other words they also 'practice what they preach'. This is particularly true with respect to parents, teachers and elders who are in the company of children....
- Memory Improvement-Smart Tips And Easy Techniques
Forgot your Anniversary ? Lost your car keys? Don't know where you left them? Can't find your best friend's address and you need to send her a card before Christmas? Are these sounding familiar? Do you find...
- Yoga For Children-Exercise The Mind And Body !
What Is Yoga ? Originating from India, Yoga is a form of meditation and exercise for the body. Relaxation and breathing techniques are interspersed with yogasanas or body positions that help one relax. In...
- Hand Exercises With Simple Hand Grips And Exerciser For Busy People
We often underestimate the importance of our hands and fingers until for some reason,we are not able to use them. Beginning the day with brushing our teeth to bathing and dressing up we require our hands. Not...
- How To Get Quick Pain Relief-Smart Reasons To Choose Tiger Balm
Pain inhibits people from enjoying their life to the full. Be it a muscle pull, cramps, an injury that comes in the way of your achieving goals, winning games, or neck, shoulder, and back aches due to bad...
- Elevator Escalator Safety-Do's And Don'ts
Elevators, escalators,and moving sidewalks are the most efficient mass transit systems in the world. Millions of people across the globe ride in millions of elevators to reach their...
- Exercise At Your Desk For A Quick Workout
The common complaint among professionals is that they are so caught up at work and home that they have little or no time for exercise. Yes, they are well aware that exercising is good for them and helps them...
- LAUGHTER YOGA-Laughter Is Truly The Best Medicine
You have heard of Yoga as a form of exercise that originates from India, and you know how to laugh when provoked. Now, what in the world is Laughter Yoga ? It is a simple exercise routine designed to benefit...
- Exercise Your Brain To Improve Concentration And Memory
Mental health is as important, if not more, as one's physical health. Whatever be your age,a human brain needs to be exercised regularly in order to improve upon one's concentration , memory and IQ which...
More by this Author
Asians and Indians in particular love the spicy dish called Biryani.It is mildly fragrant,a complete meal in itself,prepared with rice and chicken.Lamb may also be used instead of chicken.Festivals and marriages...
The Indian culture is vibrant with several customs being followed along the length and breadth of India. Tonsuring or shaving the head is one such custom. And there are many beliefs to support this according to one's...
Did you know that your feet hold the key to your overall energy and well being? Absolutely! Apart from providing you balance as you walk or run, the feet can be the right place to bring relief to most ailments you may...