Historical Places to Visit in Faro
Just a bit on Faro
Faro is the capital of the province of the Algarve. Today it has a population of just over 40,000 inhabitants. In history Faro was home to Roman and Arab settlements, the influence left by them can still be seen on various locations throughout. During the Arab era Faro was a very important commercial port. After the 1755 earthquake many buildings had to be rebuilt and restored. You can admire the massive walls that were built in the 9th century around the village to protect the population from incoming invaders from the sea that overlooks the Ria Formosa. On the outskirts of Faro there are still many families dedicated to agriculture, especially orange production with typically built homes ornamented with palm trees and olive trees.
Historical Places to Visit in Faro
Customs House, built in the 16th century (Casa da Alfândega)
City’s Arch, 1812 (Arco da Vila)
Maritime Agreement House 18th century (casa do Compromisso Maritimo)
Marine Museum (Museu da Marinha)
Archaeological Museum of Prince Henry the Navigator (Museu Arqueológico Infante D. Henrique)
Algarve´s Regional Museum (Museu Etnográfico)
Episcopal Palace, 16th Century (Palácio Episcopal)
Monastery of Our Lady of the Assumption, 16th Century (Mosteiro da Nossa Senhora da Assunção)
St. Francis Granary 18th century (Celeiro de São Francisco)
Misericórdia (Mercy) Church, 16th Century (Igreja da Misericórdia)
Jewish cemetery 1820 (Cemitério dos Judeus)
St. Peter Church, 16th Century (Igreja de São Pedro)
Carmo Church and Bone Chapel, 18th Century (Igreja do Carmo)
Church and Convent of the Third Order of St. Francis, 17th Century ( Igreja e Convento de São Francisco)
Church and Monastery of the Capuchos, 17th Century (Igreja e Convento dos Capuchos)
City Walls and Castle that surround the initial settlement, 9th Century (Muralhas e Castelo)
- City Walls, 17th century (Muralhas de Faro)
- Magdalena Chapel 19th century (Capela da Madalena)
- Our lady of O Chapel 13th century (Capela da Senhora do O)
- Our lady of Hope Chapel 15th-16th century (Ermida da Nossa Senhora da Esperança)
- Chapel of our lady at the foot of the cross 17th Century (Capela de nossa senhora do pé da cruz)
- Chapel of our lady of rest 18th century (Capela de nossa senhora do Repouso)
- St. Anthony Museum and Chapel (Highest point in Faro) built in 1355 (Capela de Sto. Antonio do Alto)
- Chapel of St. Michael, 18th Century (Capela de São Miguel)
- Chapel of St. Louis, 17th Century (Capela de São Luis)
- Chapel of St. Sebastian, 17th Century (Capela de São Sebastião)
- Municipal Galleries (Galerias Municipais)
- Civil Government Building, 19th Century (Governo Civil)
- Ourives Farm, 17th Century (Horta do Ourives)
- Municipal Council, 19th Century (Paços do Concelho)
- Sé Cathedral, 13th – 14th Century (Igreja da Sé)
- Lethes Theater, 16th – 18th Century (Teatro Lethes)
- Also close to Faro, in a village called Estoi you can visit:
- Roman Ruins of Milreu, 1st – 4th Century (Ruinas Romanas de Milreu)
- Estoi Palace 18th Century (Palácio de Estoi)
- Main Church, 16th Century (Igreja Matriz)
- Our Lady of the Cross Chapel 17th Century (Nossa Senhora do Pé da Cruz)
Planning a visit? More information here on the Algarve
- Algarve Beaches all set for Summer
The Algarve took a bit of a toll this aggressive 2009/2010 winter. Heavy and unusual continual rains this winter with the help of strong winds kept pounding the Algarve all over. Plenty of damage was done a...
- Algarve Holidays Info
The Algarve is becoming one of the most popular destinations with over 200 km of golden beaches and golf courses that are being recognized internationally. The Algarve has more than 300 days of sunshine a...
- Golf Holidays in Algarve
Golf Holidays in Algarve - Golf in Algarve. The welcoming climate that the Algarve provides with 300 plus days of sunshine guarantees golfers can play all year round. Golf Holidays in Algarve have become one of Europes top destinations. The excellen
- Ria Formosa Algarve
Ria Formosa Algarve - The Ria Formosa Natural Park is situated in the Algarve along the Eastern coast. Ria Formosa along the Algarve east coast is a system of barrier islands about of 18.400 hectares in total that connects with the Atlantic Ocean
- Sunny Algarve Beaches
Algarve Beaches - Sunny Algarve Beaches. The Algarve is located in the south-west most tip of Europe, its main economy is tourism and without a doubt some of the best, unique and most beautiful beaches in the world can be found here. Over two...
- Villas Eastern Algarve
Villas Eastern Algarve - Villas Eastern Algarve show a distinctive and particular characteristic design in comparison with villas in the west end of the province and the rest of the country. The traditional Algarvian arquitecture has a noticeable ara
- Salt Flower
Salt Flower - Salt flower in the Algarve, a tradition of extracting salt that goes back as far as to the Phoenicians and later being perfected by the Romans. The climate that the Algarve provides with over 300 days of sunshine secures...
- Villas in the Algarve
Villas in The Algarve - Villas Algarve. The East Algarve has recently become a good value for money area with Portuguese and foreign buyers investing in villas in the Algarve. Most of the buying activity lately has been to the west of Algarves...
- Algarve Information
Algarve Information - Algarve is located in the south-westernmost tip of Europe. Algarve commences just a bit north of Alcoutim village next to the Guadiana River.
- Property for Sale Algarve
Property for Sale Algarve - Villas in Algarve have become a low cost luxury at the moment to invest into expecialy, as the Eastern Algarve is still more or less in its original and traditional state. Property for sale Algarve West has in the last 20
More by this Author
A list of superstitions and customary beliefs from around the world.
Jaguar E Type Original Colors - Jaguar XKE Original Colors. A true Jaguar E type is the one that is in fact as original as the day it rolled off the assembly line. Through the life of an E type, it can change hands...