Holland America Ships - ms Amsterdam
In the over 139 year history of Holland America Line’s existence, the ms Amsterdam is only the third ship to have the name of the capital of the Netherlands. Utilizing the combination of artistic architecture, the newest technology, and the premium service that characterizes every ship in the Holland America Line Cruise Ships, it is no wonder that this ship is one of the most appreciated and favored in the industry.
Along with its sister ship, the ms Rotterdam,ms Amsterdam is the fastest in the boat fleet at Holland America going a speed of 25 knots. Possessing one of the lesser passenger capacities for ships at Holland America, but similar size to others, it provides more space for the individual passenger along with a more personal experience with the crewmates. The reason this is important is due to the 2 to 1 passenger to crewmate ratio that allows for each individual passenger to have the most enjoyable experience they can.
Regardless of the location of the restaurant on the ship, a broad range of dining options are available.
- Main Dining Room – Dining room complete with fine antiques and art, five-course menus, and option for pre-set seating/dining times or a flexibly open schedule
- Pinnacle Grill – Sterling Silver Beef and fresh seafood, extensive wine list, and “An Evening at Le Cirque in the Pinnacle Grill”
- Other Dining Options – Lido Restaurant available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, 24-hour complimentary in-room dining, Terrace Grill on Deck, and more.
There are four main types of rooms onboard all Holland America Line ships:
- Interior* – 2 beds that can convert to a queen-size bed, w/ shower
- Ocean-View* - 2 beds that can convert to a queen-size bed, w/ shower and bathtub
- Verandah Suites* - 2 beds that can convert to a queen-size bed, w/ whirlpool shower and bath, private area, mini-bar, large windows, verandah, and sitting room
- Deluxe Verandah Suites*- 2 lower beds that can convert to a king-size bed, large sitting area, verandah, sofa bed, w/ whirlpool shower and bath.
*All staterooms include amenities like Sealy Premium Euro-Top mattresses, towels made from Egyptian cotton, massage showerheads, complimentary fresh fruit, flat-screen TV w/ DVD Player, and more. Verandah Suites and Deluxe Verandah Suites also include mini-bars, concierge service, DVD libraries, and varieties of pillows. Deluxe Verandah Suites include extensive service in every field.
A Deluxe Verandah Suite
Notable Ship Features
- Digital Workshop- Something exclusive to the Holland America Line that will not be found on too many other ships is the Digital Workshop that is located within each ship. This Digital Workshop is a technological expert aided program that shows photographers, novice or expert, how to take the best pictures, edit them, and piece them together in scrapbooks for memories to look back on. This allows for digital entry of the pictures for friends and family to view long before the fun of the cruise is even over.
- Planeto Astrolabium and Art - The ship has an unexpected astronomical influence in the Planeto Astrolabium, located at the center of the ship, which locates constellations, planets, and the time on the ship along with other global times. Other notable features of the ship include those Art Deco works influenced by Dutch traditions and heritage that were once on the 1938 Nieuw Amsterdam. Collaborated with the older works of art amongst the ship are the contemporary works of Stephen Card which lie in public spaces.
- Culinary Arts Center - This ship has a Culinary Arts Center that is a state-of-the-art kitchen for demonstrations of how different gourmet foods are made along with tasting events and classes that allow a hands-on and intimate approach to cooking certain recipes.
- Club HAL, The Loft, and The Oasis - Club HAL is a facility designed specifically for children from ages 3-12 and provide activities and programs that will keep children not only occupied, but enjoying themselves with some real fun. The Loft and The Oasis are both social hangouts for teenagers from age 13-17 where both scheduled activities and free socializing are present.
A Quick View of the Spacious Ships of Holland America
Current ms Amsterdam itineraries include locations along the pacific coast of the US including California as well as Alaska. One of the most noted voyages of the ms Amsterdam is one of its transcontinental voyages which includes locations in Asia and Australia during a period of from 28-75 days depending on the chosen cruise disembark port, but all cruises embark from Seattle on September 21, 2012. The final cruises of the 2012 year for the ms Amsterdam are along the Panama Canal and then a cruise through a number of Caribbean islands.
2013 Grand Voyage
The year of 2013 ms Amsterdam cruising starts with quite a significant bang: the 115 day Grand World Voyage which treks around South America, visiting Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, Chile, and Panama along the way. This voyage continues on to visit French Polynesia, New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, Philippines, China, Vietnam, Malaysia and quite a few other countries. This is a cruise that is not often found on other cruise companies and is specific to very few ships within Holland America Line. Even more significant is the premium quality of the ms Amsterdam that will be the home of the passengers for this trip.
Other cruises of 2013 will include trips to the Panama Canal, Canada, the Pacific, and Asia.
For more information about Holland America visit Holland America Cruises
- Amsterdam 2014 - 2015 : Deck Plans, Dates, Rates, Deals - Holland America
Holland America Line cruises are a premium, graceful, classic cruise vacation by having a semi-formal, slow paced atmosphere. Book your 2012 2013 Holland America cruise with us!
- Holland America Cruises 2015
A brief summary of what is offered by Holland America Line as well as an intro to its extensive Signature of Excellence program.
More by this Author
The Largely Anticipated 14th Ship from Norwegian Cruise Line is due out in Fall of 2015. Here's what you need to know about the newest NCL ship.
With all of the amazing attributes held by Holland America Line and its ships, its very hard to overlook the extremely luxurious and spacious rooms they have aboard. With space that combats that of an individual condo...
Viewing and photographing the Aurora Borealis (or Northern Lights) and the Midnight Sun are both a challenge and an adventure that shouldn’t be missed. They are both visibly accessible aboard different cruises...
No comments yet.