Maryland, Home Of Michael Phelps and Jousting
A Medieval State Sport
Jousting is the official state sport for Maryland, making this state unique for sports in America.
Phelps of Baltimore
Phelps of Baltimore became the first Olympic swimmer of any gender to win any event for the fourth consecutive time (in four Olympics in four different cities). He also broke the record for number of titles held by a long ago Olympian, Lionides of Rhodes.
Map of Baltimore MD, Hometown of Michael Phelps
Hundreds of historic sites fill this region of America.
George Washington's Last Stand in Annapolis, Maryland
Economy: Business and Jobs
The Future Economy in Maryland
Jousting, a sport from the past, is the official sport of Maryland today, but Truck Driving should be the official job. It has increased in job openings faster than any other here from 2014 - 2016. In fact, for 2015, it is the fastest growing job in the country. This indicates business increases and a positive future for Maryland and the American economy.
The Largest Employers in Maryland employ hundreds of thousands of workers every year. These top companies include a combination of the fastest-growing private sector industries, government agencies, and the US Military and its installations.
The Healthcare Industry and Information Technology (IT) are the leading industry sectors in Maryland, sometimes combining within occupations, such as Biomedical Engineering, Number 20 on the Top 20 list of fast-growing Maryland occupations. Teachers, skilled workers and paralegals are also in high demand.
Most Fun Place to Work In Baltimore: Ace of Cakes
- Home of "Ace of Cakes" on Food Network - Charm City Cakes
Here at Charm City Cakes, we are motivated by constantly trying to outdo ourselves by making cakes that are beautiful, challenging, and as out-of-the-ordinary as possible!
The King Tut Cake
Maryland's Largest Employers
This list contains company name and location within Maryland, ranked according to size of staff from largest to smaller.
- University Of Maryland in College Park, located inside the I-495 Washington DC Beltway.
- NASA's US Goddard Space Flight Center
- National Institutes Of Health in Bethesda
- Washington County Recreation in Hagerstown
- National Aeronautics Space Administration (NASA)
- Northrop Grumman in Baltimore: Part of NASA's Commercial Crew.
- Titan Steel Corp in Baltimore
- University Of Maryland Medical System: Regional.
- Johns Hopkins University: Aerospace and Applied Physics departments in Laurel
- US Health & Human Services Department in Baltimore
- CareFirst Inc in Owings Mills
- Convergence Marketing in Millersville
- Fort Detrick: US Military in Frederick
- Hydro Aluminum North America in Linthicum Heights
- US Post Office in Capitol Heights
- Millennium Inorganic Chemicals in Cockeysville
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Med Center and Johns Hopkins School Of Medicine in Baltimore
- Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore
- Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury
- GEICO Insurance in Chevy Chase
- Laurel Regional Hospital
University of Maryland
Job Projections to 2018
- Maryland predicts Positive Employment Change of an additional 251,745 or more jobs for a 9.1% increase from 2008 to 2018.
- By the end of 2014, over 150,00 job openings were posted in the state, especially around Washington DC.
- By mid-July 2015, Truck Driving was the number one job posting, with over 100,000 listings for the state.
- By the end of Summer 2016, approximately 90,000 jobs were advertised around the state, with over 40,000 of them in the Greater Baltimore Area.
Top 10 Highest Demand Jobs Statewide Expected to 2018
- CDL Truck Drivers: Semi-trucks, flatbed trucks, company drivers, owner-operators. Companies include George Hildebrandt, Inc., C.R. England, DTL Transport, R.E. Garrison.
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Aerospace Engineering Jobs
- Health-related Sales Representatives
- General Managers
- Cafeteria, Coffee Shop, Fast Food, etc.
- Mainstream K-12 Teachers
- Laborers and Freight Handlers
- Nurses' Aides and Attendants
Jobs listings in Maryland continued to grow throughout 2015 and the first three quarters of 2016
Highest Demand Jobs Across Maryland
The following job titles remain in highest demand:
- Truck Drivers and Owner-Operators
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Registered Nurses (RN License)
- Food Services Managers and Crew
- Software Engineers
- Certified Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Administrative Coordinators
Green Industry in Maryland
Native American Business in Maryland
- Native American Indian Resource Information - Maryland Area
- Center for American Indian Health, The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- Baltimore American Indian Center of Maryland
Maryland Native American Nations
- Accohannock Tribe (Maryland)
- Assateague Peoples
- Lenape Nation
- Nanticoke Tribe
- Ohio Valley Tribes, including the Shawnee, until US Indian Removals drove them westward under President Andrew Jackson.
- Cedarville Band of Piscataway Indians; 16816 Country Lane; Waldorf, Maryland 20601
- Piscataway Conoy Confederacy and Subtribes; La Plata, Maryland 20646
- Pocomoke Indian Nation
- Powhatan Tribe
- Shawnee Indians - Also resident historically in Ohio.
- Susquehannock History (Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia)
- Tutelo and Saponi groups
Fort McHenry in Baltimore is birthplace of the US national anthem, written during the War of 1812. The city sits at the mouth of the Inner Harbor.
Baltimore Inner Harbor
Must-Visit Places in Maryland
- Best Record Store in Baltimore's Historic Fells Point - Sound Garden
So many unimagined places have emerged as top spots in HubMob, HubTrail, and the Hubpages Marks The Spot Contest, that I fully understand now when a friend's dad bought a small RV, equipped it with satellite...
- Top 10 Best Fun Things to See in Charm City - Pirates, Cakes and Song
The many Pirates of Baltimore easily outpace those of Disney World or the movie house. They have a long history here, because once Baltimore became partially civilized in the 16th Century, it became a seaport...
Historic Maryland Cities
Baltimore Inner HarborClick thumbnail to view full-size
Higher Education System
Higher Education in Maryland
- Allegheny College of Maryland: Cumberland, also Somerset, Everett PA
- Anne Arundel Community College: Arnold
- Baltimore City Community College
- Baltimore Hebrew University
- Baltimore International College
- Bowie State University: Bowie, Maryland (a USM Institution)
- Capitol College: Laurel
- Carroll Community College: Westminster
- Cecil Community College: North East
- Chesapeake College: Wye Mills
- College of Notre Dame of Maryland: Baltimore
- Columbia Union College: Takoma Park, Maryland
- Community College of Baltimore County: Catonsville, Dundalk, Essex, Hunt Valley, Owings Mills, White Marsh
- Coppin State College: Baltimore, Maryland (a USM Institution)
- Frederick Community College: Frederick
- Frostburg State University: Frostburg, Maryland (a USM Institution)
- Garrett Community College: McHenry
- Goucher College: Baltimore
- Hagerstown Community College: Hagerstown
- Harford Community College: Bel Air
- Hood College: Frederick
- Howard Community College: Columbia, Maryland
- Johns Hopkins University: Baltimore, Maryland.
- Loyola College in Maryland: Baltimore
- Maryland Institute College of Art: Baltimore
- McDaniel College: Westminster, Maryland
- Montgomery College: Takoma Park, Rockville, Germantown
- Morgan State University: Baltimore
- Mount Saint Mary's College and Seminary: Emmitsburg
- Prince George's Community College: Largo
- Salisbury University: Salisbury, Maryland (a USM Institution)
- Sojourner-Douglass College: Baltimore, Annapolis, Hurlock, Lanham, Salisbury, also located in Nassau, Bahamas
- St. John's College: Annapolis, also Santa Fe, NM
- St. Mary's College of Maryland: St. Mary's City
- The Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences: Bethesda, Maryland. Access http://www.usuhs.mil/ Education and degrees in Medicine, Dentistry, and Nursing with free tuition, stipends, and more with a 7-year commitment to the armed services after graduation. Some programs begin the commitment during study, with a commissioned officer status awarded.
- Towson University: Towson, Maryland (a USM Institution)
- United States Naval Academy: Annapolis
- University of Baltimore: Baltimore, Maryland (a USM Institution)
- University of Maryland, Baltimore
- Villa Julie College: Stevenson
- Washington Bible College / Capital Bible Seminary: Lanham
- Washington College: Chestertown
- Wor-Wic Community College: Salisbury
Sports Opportunities: Jousting and Others
MD State Sport: Jousting
- Maryland Jousting Tournament Association -- Look for the schedule and attend a match.
MD State Team Sport: Lacrosse
- Baltimore Bayhawks
- Lacrosse Museum and National Hall of Fame.
- Pimlico Racetrack
- Maryland Jockey Club
- 75-80 Dragway - Monrovia MD
- Budds Creek Motocross Park
- Capitol Raceway
- Cecil County Dragway
- Maryland International Raceway
- Mason-Dixon Dragway
- Monrovia Raceway
- Potomac Speedway
College and High School Sports
- Goucher Gophers - Baltimore
- Maryland Terrapins - Baltimore
- Mount St Mary's Mountaineers - Emmitsburg
- Naval Academy Midshipmen - Annapolis
- Towson Tigers - Towson
- Baltimore Blast (NPSL) - Baltimore
- Bowie Bay Sox (AA) - Bowie
- Delmarva Shorebirds(A) - Salisbury
- Hagerstown Suns(A)
- Washington Spirit - Women's Soccer
Ravens are Fans of Phelps
During practice, the Baltimore Ravens cheered on their hometown hero, Michael Phelps durian his amazing gold medal victories in the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics.
- Arbutus Big Red Football (Mason-Dixon Football League).
- Baltimore Orioles (MLB)
- Baltimore Ravens (NFL)
- Bowie Baysox
- Delmarva Shorebirds
- Frederick Keys
- Hagerstown Suns
- Washington Redskins (NFL) play at FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland.
- Women's Professional Football: The Baltimore Burn (WPFA) was founded in 2001. The team plays at Patterson Park, indicated in the map below.
Home of the Baltimore Burn
© 2007 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Two cities in North Carolina have been recognized on the list of American suburbs that are the Best 25 Places to Move for work in the USA. Triangle Research Park is at the bottom of this success and behind a growing...
The Raleigh-Cary NC metro area comprises one of the best areas in the USA for business and jobs. Its proximity to the Research Triangle keeps the area growing.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...