Superheroes, Jobs and Attractions in Salt Lake City, Utah
Salt Lake City Skyline
Convention City Includes Comic Book Heroes
After an initial first run in 2013, Salt Lake Comic Con scheduled quests for its second annual Salt Lake Comic Con event on September 4-6, 2014 at the Salt Palace Convention Center.
The second comic book heroes convention was also a success and additional Comic Cons have been scheduled. Utah and all of America has a growing love of superheroes. The 2010s television schedule included dozens of superhero stories, from Mask to Marvel to Supergirl. Heroes are everywhere and take American minds away from political and social problems.
This event is important to the nation's giant pop culture surrounding comics,especially with all the new superhero motion pictures of 2013 - 2014. Captain America, Thor, Wolverine, Iron Man - and James Spader of The Blacklist as the villain Ultron - and many more characters are attracting large fan bases as well as citizens who have decided to become real superheroes.
The Comic Con features not only comics sales, but films, fan art, fanzines, sci-fi, anime, fantasy, television aspects of comics. Celebrity guests include actors, comic book creators, and graphic novel authors.
Conventions such as this one will continue to draw crowds of visitors to Salt Lake City businesses. In fact, the city is ranked Number Two in the USA for best places to start a small business.
Special guests scheduled for the 2014 Salt Lake City event included some of my favorites: Christopher Lloyd (Back to the Future, Taxi), Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead, Bubba Hotep, Burn Notice), and Ernie Hudson (Ghostbusters, Chicago Fire).
SuperheroesClick thumbnail to view full-size
High-Demand Occupations in Salt Lake City through 2020
Salt Lake City has consistently located in the Top 25 Best Cities for US Jobs listed by Forbes Magazine and other business analysts. In addition, Salt Lake City was Number One for 2008 countining to rank high among the top 25 cities through 2013.
Fastest Growing Industries in the Area
The Number One fast-growing industry in the Salt Lake City Area is not healthcare, as it is in many metropolitan workforce development districts of the US, but Management and Technological-Scientific Consulting. This growth goes hand in hand with that of others others in this Top 10 List, including Internet services in the Number 10 spot; Finance, Investment, and Securites/Commodities; Senior Services, and Healthcare.
- Management, scientific, and technical consulting services, 78% INCREASE
- Services for the elderly and disabled, 74%
- Gambling industries, 66%
- Home health care services, 55%
- Educational support services, all types, 53%
- Community care facilities for the elderly, 50%
- Misc. financial investment services, 47%
- Facilities support services, 46%
- Securities and commodity contracts, brokerages, and exchanges, 46%
- Internet publishing and broadcasting, 44%
Fastest Growing Occupations
Healthcare occupations, which are needed by many of the Fast-Growing Industries listed above, comprise the majority of job titles that are expanding and offering the greatest number of yearly openings in the area in and around Salt Lake City.
InformationTechnology (IT), which is used in all of the Top 10 Fast-Growing Industries, takes the Number 1 and Number 4 spots on this list of expanding job titles.
Financial Advisors are needed not only by the long-lived surviving Baby Boomers and oldest elderly (80- 100+) surviving in the area, but by the large population of indidivuals aged 18 - 49 in the metropolitan area.
Finally, entertainment Makeup artists are in increasing demand, indicating a rise in the Entertainment and Tourism Industries as well.
- Network systems and data communications analysts
- Personal and home care aides
- Home health aides
- Computer software engineers, applications
- Veterinary technologists and technicians
- Personal financial advisors
- Makeup artists, theatrical and performance (Entertainment and Tourism)
- Medical assistants
- Substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors
Snapshot of Jobs and Business
The two most accurate web crawlers for jobs on a consistent basis are the job search and trending companies SimplyHired.com and Indeed.com. A combination and analysis of the two give us the jobs available at a given time across Internet source
From April 2013 through April 2014, over 35,000 job openings were listed daily for this area, available within 25 miles of Salt Lake City, and this does not include hidden job markets and jobs listed elsewhere than somewhere on the Internet.
Highest Demand Jobs
- Managers and Assistant Managers - a number of fields, totally twice the number of jobs available for Number Two below (engineers).
- Engineers - many of these are IT positions
- Event Specialists
- Retail Salespeople - salaried and commissioned
- Sales Representatives
- Registered Nurses (RN licenses)
- Administrative Assistants
- Certified Nursing Assistants
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Medical Technologists
- Account Executives - big ticket items like Financial Services and Insurance
- Scientific/IT Consultants
- Programmers and other IT jobs - Utah Technology Council
- Truck Driver or Owner-Operator
Additional Local Jobs
- A-1 Suburbs: Relocation and Travel: Dramatic Job Growth In Utah's...
Two cities in Utah are on a famous Top 100 CIties list and have business plans in place to 2030 to ensure continued rapid growth.
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Provo, Utah
Provo is a fast growing city that is reaching out its developing suburbs to touch others along the Wasatch Mountain Front. Healthcare Professionals, Teachers, Computer Specialists, Retail Sales Experts, and others are needed in the Provo Metro Area.
- Best Jobs in Design and Construction for Salt Lake City
The news in July-August 2010 broadcast that the Construction Industry in Utah and specifically around Salt Lake City was
Travel Tips for Salt Lake City
North American Indigenous Nations of Utah
- Native American Nations of the Far West
Native Americans and Indigenous Peoples through the western United States...
- US History: 1851 - 1900
Several territories became states, USA acquired additional territories, set a Canadian Border and endured the American Civil War. The Gold Rush and the Railroads also created a flurry of activity, while Native Americans...
Sports-Related Opportunities in Salt Lake City
- Salt Lake Bees (PCBL) - Minor League Baseball; formerly the Buzz and the Stingers. They play in Smith's Ballpark nin Salt Lake City and are affiliated with the Los Angeles Angels.
- Utah Grizzlies (IHL)
Professional Team Sports
High School Teams
- Salt Lake City Sports Complex. 645 Guardsman Way, Salt Lake City UT 84108
- Salt Palace. 100 SW Temple, Salt Lake City UT 84101
- Smith's Ballpark. 1365 South West Temple, Salt Lake City UT 84115
Higher Education in Salt Lake Country
- AAA Truck Driver Training
- Arnold And Marti Stringhams Real Estate School
- Brigham Young U. - Salt Lake Center
- Cameo College Of Essential Beauty
- Certified Careers Institute
- Latter Day Saints Business College
- MTA Truck Driving School
- Myotherapy College Of Utah
- Salt Lake Community College
- Salt Lake Community College Skills Center
- Sherman Kendalls Academy
- University Of Phoenix
- University Of Utah
- Utah College Of Massage Therapy
- Western Governors University
- Westminster College
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Have you ever seen a choir sing Barbershop and step like a marching band? How about the World's Largest Fish Fry? It's all refreshing good fun in Tennessee...
Cherry Springs State Park is a showplace for the Northern Lights. Every 11 years, sunspot activity increases to maximum, allowing the Northern Lights to be seen even more often.
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.