Top Ten Reasons Why You Should Live in Sunny Madeira, Portugal
A cruise ship cruises by
Paraglider's enjoy a breeze
Moving to Portugal: A guide to your next move to the sun
The picture right is a view I see regularly from my veranda. I watch the daily fishermen boating past. The dolphins regularly come out to play and there's always a whale or two meandering by.
A paraglider or three fly past. The vast expanse of the ocean brings american fishing boats, tall ships and big cruisers, all sailing past my veranda. The catamarans with their eager customers out to spot some sea life and the local boat club with their racing canoes paddle on with gusto.
The odd storm we have is a delight to watch. Big rolling waves crashing to the beach. The foamy sea merging with the cotton cloudy sky.
Long summer days; I watch still blue oceans. Warm breezes whisper through the surrounding banana trees. Life is wonderful and I see it every day, in different shades of blue and green.
To Move Or Not To Move?
The choice is really not that difficult. Write your list for and against; sit down and ponder. You will need to be a little ruthless. Today the world is a small place, but the sun seems to favor some places more than others.
I chose to live in the sun. I wake almost daily to sunshine, and I can't think of anything else that could really make my day, the way a little ray of sunshine can.
A visiting tall ship explores the Island seas
Read the truth about the benefits of sunlight to your health
Can't move: won't move: vitamin D makes us happy
Walking in the mountains of Madeira is a great hobby and will keep you fit and healthy
- Madeira's 3 peak mountain walk from Pico do Arieiro ...
A half hour drive north from the city of Funchal the beginning of the famous peak walk awaits me. The wondrous walk across the mountain tops from Pico do Arieiro to Pico Ruivo stretches like a golden path...
Beautiful coastline views of Madeira
What's stopping you moving to the sun?See results without voting
Conquer Your Goals: don't let fear stop you from doing what you crave
Top Ten Reasons to Live in The Sun
- Today millions of people choose the sun over any other reason to live abroad. Did you know the best source of vitamin D is sunshine? Vitamin D protects against cancer, heart disease and bone disease. The sun is good for your health.
- Sunshine makes us feel good. No one looks good with a pale white face. We normally associate pale faces with being ill. A golden sun kissed look is a healthy look. We look good, so we feel good and when we feel good we're happy.
- No heating bills to pay or fuel to purchase
- No winter clothes to buy for a winter season
- No carpets to purchase or clean
- No heavy curtains to dry clean or replace
- No need to buy extra blankets for your bed
- No heavy duvet to get dry cleaned
- No electric blankets to plug in
- No coslty spin dryers or clothers dryers
- Walking in the sunshine is a lovely thing to do and doesn't feel like exercise at all, and of course walking is a great hobby for all ages.
- Swimming in the sea is great exercise and the experience is far better than an over crowded chemically treated swimming pool.
5) Beautiful Scenery:
- The sunshine always makes everything look beautiful, from the open streets of the city lined with bistros and cafe bars with colourful sun brollies to the beautiful coastlines with shimmering seas and the expanse of the mountains stretching to blue skies.
6) Good Food:
- Eating fresh fruit, vegetables and locally caught fish is a big part of living in the sun. Salad dishes are dressed with olive oil rather than thick creamy mayo's and pasta served with fresh tomato sauces as opposed to cream and cheese.
- Family visits are always welcome. Our loved ones arrive a little tired and white faced. A chilled glass of wine; a little relaxing on the veranda; reading a good book and you see them relax and chill before your eyes.
- Playing in the sunshine, the children enjoying the freedom of wearing less clothes and the warmth of the sun on their bodies. Everyone enjoys their visit and spending quality time together brings everyone closer.
8) Outdoor Living:
- Living in the sun is all about being outdoors; living a wonderful lifestyle throughout the year. Being able to plan BBQs with our friends and family and days out all add to the joy of living in the sun.
- Leisurely lunches and time with friends is big business in the sun. People are more laid back and there's always time for a coffee or a glass of wine. The culture is more relaxed and spending time chilling out with our family and friends is all part of life in the sun.
- The local people are friendly people and always have time for a chat. Gifts of fruit and vegetables not to mention homemeade cakes and breads are quite the norm. Learning the local lingo is also something the people are only too delighted to help you with. Like the sun, the locals are warm and inviting.
Breathing Taking Scenery
Fresh fruit and veg from the local farmers market in Funchal
A Typical Madeiran Market: full of delicious home grown tropical fruits and vegetables
- Fabulous pictures of flowers in Madeira from mountai...
The above picture is from the amazing mountains on the west side of the island, the flowers are wild and grow furiously in abundance dotting the landscape with a ray of colour. The shades of green are just...
Ideal Rentals in Madeira: Stay for a holiday and check this beautiful Island out
- Calheta holiday house rental - Beautiful private 2 bedroom villa with panoramic sea and mountain vie
<p>This beautiful modern well appointed villa is surrounded by panoramic views of the ocean; to the front and side, with spectacular mountain views to the side and fore. The location is ideal for walkers, nature lovers and those of you that cra
To Move or Not to Move?
The most difficult thing in moving to live in the sun, is the fear factor. I promise you, if you just sit around talking about it, you will never do it. The biggest problem for many are their family, whether you have older parents, grown children or grandchildren. The most important thing to do, is make your mind up on your gut feelings. I don't mean a whim; I mean a feeling you have, knowing you need to change your lifestyle. The thing is, you know where you are with your life and what you can and perhaps cannot change about it.
I know money comes into everything these days, and moving to the sun, well you do need some cash behind you. It depends where you want to live, as some destinations are easier to find a way of generating income than others. The majority of people moving abroad have retired or have a business idea, but there are lots of other ways to make your dream of living in the sun possible. Look at the different opportunities available to you, simply log on to google and search jobs abroad.com. This site may not answer your questions, but you will get loads of ideas to start your brain churning. Teaching english has a foreign language, bringing your flare to something your good at, dancing, painting or perhaps you have a qualification you could use in health or fitness.
I moved to Madeira, knowing very little, but I did know I wanted a better live style and to be able to plan a BBQ in two weeks time without buying enough umbrellas for everyone invited. I wake almost daily to a blue sky, shimmering waters and at least 24 degrees, the summer being hotter, the winter a little cooler.
The difficulties are shadowed by the true joy of sunshine and the relaxed life style of living in the sun. Do your homework, visit places you think are for you in the long term. Talk with people already living in the sun. Be alert and don't do anything in a foreign land that you wouldn't do at home. A great idea, is to have a long holiday to your ideal destination. This will help the ole cogs turn. These days it is so easy to find long term rentals in your desired location. Simply surf the net choosing the country you wish to visit and the area you prefer to explore.
© 2009 Gabriel Wilson
More by this Author
- 2A Guide to Madeira: 101 Things to Do and See on The Island of Madeira, Portugal: The Perfect Vacation for 2016
The beauty on this volcanic rock will embrace and capture the hearts that truly love nature. This article tells you all about the exciting things you can do while on holiday in Madeira. Surrounded by the Atlantic, only...
Beautiful pictures of the famous three peak mountain walk across Madeira. Starting at Pico do Arieiro and walking across the mountains. Plus a detailed account of what to expect.
Zero calorie foods take more energy to absorb into the system than the energy in the food itself. In other words zero calorie foods are foods you can eat without counting calories or gaining weight