Por Cristo: Home for the Abandoned Elderly
This is a short feature of Por Cristo (For Christ): Home for the Abandoned Elderly. I’ve been to this place twice and although the place is well-kept and clean, I can’t help but feel sad for those elders who are staying here. At the same time, I am glad that some people and a place such as Por Cristo are around to help them. So, in tribute to this place, I would like to feature them in this hub.
Some facts about Por Cristo:
- It houses 36 senior citizens who were abandoned by their families and/or who were found wandering around the city.
- It was established in 2001.
- It is being run by Rev. Fr. Dennis S. Prisco.
- It is located just outside the boundary of the city and is near the beach.
- You have to pass by a dirt road (which can get flooded during the rainy season) just to get to this place.
- The elderly are housed inside nipa huts.
- The place is open, meaning winds and the sea air can be very strong.
- They are dependent entirely on donations. As it is nearing Christmas, they are hoping the donations will start coming in.
- Some of the elderly have cataracts or cannot see well anymore. Those senior citizens who are still able to see are trained to guide those who can't.
I found out about this place during my father’s wake when a group of volunteers came over and held a mass for him. They related how generous my father was. None of us, his children, were aware of his activities but we were glad that before he died, my father found this place and shared his time, effort and money. In his death, I made a promise to at least visit this place, get to know it and give something, anything that I can give. As part of that something, I’ve written this hub. I know it’s short but this is more like for me than anybody else. Featured in this hub are the pictures we took during our visit. Stay for a while and view them.
Note to Those Interested: Anybody who's interested in donating for this worthwhile cause can do so by transferring funds to my Paypal account. Just send me a message and I'll give you the details. Whether it's $1.00 or $5.00 or even $0.50 will be much appreciated. And just to prove that the fund really went to Por Cristo, I will scan a receiving copy and mail the same to the donors. Thank you very much for stopping by.
Update:I just received an email from one of the staff thanking me for sharing Por Cristo in Hubpages. I didn't really promote this hub (or any of my other hubs for that matter) and I'm thankful they found this. I hope as well that other generous people will find and read this hub. It's a worthwhile cause for those looking for one.
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE34
The Philippines is known for its diverse culture and languages. Featured in this hub are the 8 major languages of the Philippines.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE136
Thinking of visiting the Philippines? Why not read this hub to find out some of the beautiful places that you can go to when you visit the writer's country.
For Filipino taxpayers, filing taxes online is not yet the norm. If you are one of those thinking of enrolling in the EFPS and filing your taxes online, here are some of the things you need to consider before you go...