Requirements for Lost Passport Replacement in the Philippines and Abroad

What would you do if you lost your passport or your passport was stolen from you? In this page, I have listed the requirements for lost and stolen passports in the Philippines and if you’re abroad or overseas because someone asked about it in the forum from How get a new and renew passport in the Philippines hub.

A passport is a very very important thing for an individual. It’s not just for travelling purposes but also a very essential piece for who you are. It also represents anyone’s identity as a citizen of a country. If your passport was lost and stolen from you, you would surely feel worse than losing your credit card or expensive cellphone. To minimize your panic, prepare the following requirements to get a new passport. Follow these tips, steps and procedures in replacing your lost passport.

Requirements for Lost Passport if you’re in the Philippines

Original and photocopy of the following documents:

Prepare similar documents you have submitted when applying for a new passport like NSO authenticated birth certificate, marriage certificate (especially if you’re female), valid IDs, and some supporting documents.

Photocopy of your lost passport if possible

Passport application form

Notarized Affidavit of Explanation

Police Report if passport is still valid

Passport replacement fee of P200 is passport is still valid

Steps in Replacing your lost passport in the Philippines

Prepare the original and Xerox copies of the requirements you have submitted when obtaining a new passport. Because your passport was missing or was stolen, you need to secure a Police Report from your Municipal’s office by reporting about the loss such as the details, when was it missing, was it theft or robbery and just answer what the police asks you. Then secure an Affidavit of Explanation and have it notarized. This is usually done by a Notary Public and costs around P200 if the lawyer is kind enough. Show him/her the police report for the details of your loss. Then download the DFA passport application form (this can be downloaded by going to the link I gave below) and fill it out. Bring this in the DFA office where you want to replace your lost passport together with the other documents you have secured and the documents required to pass. Pay the corresponding fees. Have your passport delivered to you or just pick it up when it’s released.

DFA Downloadable application form

Take note that some DFA offices require passport schedules prior to appointment so you must make a schedule and attend at the given date for your replacement passport. The other requirements for some matters require almost similar requirements for new passport application from the DFA such as that when the applicant is minor, when you want to use your spouse’s surname, and the like..

Requirements for Lost Passport Replacement if you’re Overseas or Abroad

If you’re abroad or outside the Philippines and you lost your passport, you must prepare the following documents and file for a replacement in the consular services from the embassy of the Philippines wherever country you are.

Accomplished application form (can be downloaded from the Philippine embassy in the country you are in)

Police Report written in English and authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the report was filed.

Notarized Affidavit of Loss of Passport and authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs were the affidavit was executed

Birth certificate secured from the NSO and authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA)

Valid IDs and supporting documents of identification and citizenship if needed

Photocopy of your lost passport if possible

Passport processing fees (fees are different to each country)

Use the comment box to say anything. Thank you.

More by this Author

Comments 97 comments

CreateSquidoo profile image

CreateSquidoo 5 years ago

This information for yours gives a lot of help to those people who lost their passport.

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 5 years ago Author

thank you so much for dropping by :)

Thelma Alberts profile image

Thelma Alberts 5 years ago from Germany

This is a very useful information. What about the Filipinos who pretend to have lost their passport but then for a long time illegal abroad? Can they just go to the Philippine Embassy and apply for a new one so that they can go home? Thanks for sharing.

kashmir56 profile image

kashmir56 5 years ago from Massachusetts

Great helpful and useful information to help anyone who may have lost their passport.

Vote up !!!

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 5 years ago Author

Hi Thelma. Thank you for visiting. :) I don't think they could get a passport again since one of the requirements is a police report of the lost passport and then affidavit of loss passport notarized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs wherever country they are. They would end up being deported.

Hello Kash :) I really like your default. Cute dog. Thank you for the votes and I'm always happy to see you here. God bless :)

molometer profile image

molometer 5 years ago

Very helpful information. I usually carry a photocopy of my passport when abroad. As well as a copy on the internet in case I need it.

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 5 years ago Author

That's a very nice tip. I only keep a photocopy but I will save a soft copy from now on. :) Thank you Molometer.

Astra Nomik profile image

Astra Nomik 5 years ago from Edge of Reality and Known Space

Well, you know my story about my passport, Fehl. This is great and you have great tips for what to do when you lose it. The photocopy idea is interesting.

Cassy told me she was driving one time in Spain with friends. Her buddy was driving but had a photocopy of a passport and drivers license. And when they got stopped by police for some routine reason, they found the police there won't accept copies of anything like a passport of a license. So in some jurisdictions the laws can be um... weird.

Thank you for an awesome great hub as always, Fehl. XO

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 5 years ago Author

Hi Cathy :) Yeah I know very much what happened with your passport and I hate that girl who stole it. I hope you get it soon honey.

Um maybe the cops wanted an original. lol That's weird. Maybe the police just wanted to see a closer look at Cassy and her friend. lol

Thank you for dropping by. XOXO

alocsin profile image

alocsin 4 years ago from Orange County, CA

Great advice for Filipinos who lose this most important travel document. I recommend making copies of all travel documents and keeping them in a separate place from the passport. That way, if the passport does get lost, they have a copy they can send in right away. Voting this Up and Useful.

dina 4 years ago

i want to ask if i can get a passport,if i have a problem in NBI CLEARANCE..

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

Hello A Locsin. I'm glad to see you here. Yes, that is what I always do when traveling. Thank you for giving everyone a very nice tip. ;)

Hi Dina. Since NBI clearance is just one of the options for supporting documents in obtaining a passport (in the moment), you can surely get one as long as you submit the primary requirements which are NSO authenticated birth certificate, valid IDs, NSO marriage certificate (if female and married) and few supporting docs if you don't have NBI clearance.

ionee 4 years ago

pls post valid i.d list for lost valid passport and what if i only have one valid i.d. left? help pls tnx

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

valid IDs are usually government IDs like

GSIS ecard


Driver's License

Voter's ID

Senior Citizen ID


company ID

It is advisable you get another ID if you only have one or bring NBI clearance, birth certificate authenticated by NSO

jm 4 years ago

for lost passport din po ba hindi na need 2x2 sa dfa san fernando pamp?

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

yes, no need to have passport sized photos in applying for passport and lost passport. Picture taking is done with the computer already thank goodness :)

karen 4 years ago

what if i don't have a photocopy of my lost passport?is it ok to show my receipt?

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

the photocopy of the lost passport is not a major requirement. So it's ok as long as you submit the requirements listed in the article. Thanks for dropping by. :)

jazzy08 4 years ago

how to renew a passport if it is lost?

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

Prepare the requirements listed above and go to the DFA office

gin 4 years ago

bakit po kailangan pnmag submit ng bago kopya ulit pag nawala ang dating passport

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

I'm sorry I don't understand your real question. Can you revise it?

sonny24 4 years ago

ask ko lang po, pwede po bang irenew na ang passport kahit 1yr to go pa ito before ma expire. thanks

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

Yes it can be renewed already. Mine is expiring in 6 months time so I better renew it na

darwin santos 4 years ago

what about if my passport is not valid,did i get the police report or not?

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

yes you still need police report if you want to renew it coz you have nothing to renew

BEN 4 years ago

ask lang po so dapat pumunta po in person? or mag pa appointment? kasi malapit po ako sa pasay office sa may macapagal DFA. help naman po kasi baka pag punta ko doon eh di ako papasukin ty

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

Apply personally and bring the requirements

Lisha 4 years ago

Ask ko Lang , bag pa lost passport then pwede ba na makakuha ulit pero gamit na e yung maiden name?

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

you can revert back to your maiden name if you are legally separated and divorced because the document proving that is a requirement in the application of passport

sasuke 4 years ago

if you apply for lost passport, do you still get the same passport number of your old passport or they will give you a new passport number?

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

yes it's the same although there are cases when you could request for a new number.

profile image

glendaombao 4 years ago

Itinakbo ng ex husband ko ang passport ng mga anak ko dahil gusto nya ako perahan. Ibibigay nya lang daw ang mga passport pero bwat pasport e may bayad (3 ang anak ko ) Yung sa panganay ang hinihingi nya ay 120k. Marami na syang nakuhang pera sa akin kaya hinayaan ko na lang. Di naman sya sumusuporta sa mga anak ko. And tanong ko po, pwede ko bang e declare na lost ang pasport? At mag 18 na kasi ang panganay ko this yr , so pwede na ba sya mag apply ng lost replacement ng lost pasport kasi wala ako sa Pilipinas? Thanks sa time and God bless.

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

I don't think it can be declared as lost passport since they are not really lost. They are just being kept away from you. You need the police or lawyer for your situation. Your ex husband would surely surrender them once the authorities are involved.

You cannot get a police report or affidavit of loss if they are not really missing.

Marvin 4 years ago

tanong lang po, ilang araw po bago makuha ung bagong passport? nawala po kasi ito. kumpleto na po ako ng requirements. after ko ng maipasa lahat sa DFA, ilang days ang hihintayin ko para makuha ung bago?

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

the same days as processing a regular passport or renewing one

marvee 4 years ago

Will DFA keep my old passport if I request for a renewal?

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

Nope, they will give it back to you. It will be useless once it expired. They will also leave a mark indicating its invalidty once you renewed it

mylene 4 years ago

hello po. gaano po katagal bago makuha ang passport n nawala pero valid pa? kung naipasa n lahat ng requirements sa appointment date? and paano po magpa-expedite? kasi kailangan ko n po siya in 20 days. help nman po.

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

just like a regular passport 10 days and up

katy 4 years ago

Hi!I tried to set an appointment in DFA but cannot be completed because I can't remember my passport number..please help what to do..your reply will be much appreciated

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

just apply personally and bring the requirements

profile image

glendaombao 4 years ago

The passport of my 10 year old son has no signature. It is the new biometric one. I don't know if it was the negligence of the DFA people. The father of my kids did not even check it when he picked up the passport. It was only found out recently there was no signature because their father kept the passport for more than 2 years ( we are separated ). My question, what should I do?

anjhie 4 years ago

pag lost passport po b khit matagal ng nwl nid p po b ng police report n aexpired po un ng 2009,tnx

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

@Glenda you can renew it and have a signature this time. Assist your son. Happy New Year! :)

@Anjhie I think yes coz you need the old passport in renewing one. I think you need an affidavit too

tunacaom 4 years ago

hi ask ko lang po may tendency ba na ang passport mo ay magamit ng ibang tao considering the fact na dito sa Pilipinas ay hindi masyadong maghigpit?

profile image

domlen 4 years ago

gud am,matagal na po nwla ang passport ko,then ng;expierd na cya noong

2011,pero my photocopy pa po ako d2,ano dapat q gawin kc gus2 kong kmuha na now?

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 4 years ago Author

@Tunacaom I think chance is almost impossible now since new passports contain biometric data including fingerprints and signature of the person who owns the passport

@Dom just file for the loss and have the requirements listed in the article to get a new one.

alice_reign1017 4 years ago

hi!my husband lost his passport in japan,he wanted to go home pra dto ayusin ang question is puede ba cya umuwi at ng walang passport?kung mka uwi man cya without passport,wla po kaya mgiging problema pag balik nya s japan n wla pong tatak ng re entry ang passport nya?ano po kaya magandang gwin?

kath17 3 years ago

hi!nwala po passport ko di na sya valid, gusto ko po kumuha ng bago iloss passport ko po sya and at the same time papachange status ko po sana, ano na po gagamitin ko apelyido sa appointment un dati pong nkalagay sa passport or un married name na po?tnx for your reply

Angel 3 years ago

Hi ask ko lng pwede po bang irenew ang lost valid passport?

lelibith 3 years ago

hi good eve po tatanung ko long po kung anu requirements sa lost passport and expired na po kasi un.i think 2004 or 2005 un inissue sa aking please help me

maricon 3 years ago

Hi! Just wanted to ask if is it ok if i will apply my lost passport in province even if my all IDs was addressed in manila? Bcoz i don't live in manila anymore. Is the requirements and procedures in getting lost passport is still the same even in province? Your reply is highly much appreciated. Thank you.... Godbless....

alfi_laxamana 3 years ago

hi gudeve po how to get new pasport kukuha sana ako kc po ung pastport ko kc po nawala nong binagyo po at binaha kami sa pampanga un pasport ko po nawala pero 1 yr nlang po expired na po panu po un makakauha po ba ako ng panivago kc po mag aaply p n po ako salamay po

Laine 3 years ago

hello po! ask ko lang po about my mother passport, kumuha po sya ng passport 4 yrs. ago then nawala po nya ito ngayon po kinailangang kumuha sya ulit ang problema po kasi sa una nyang passport place of birth nya is pampanga nakuha sa marriage contract nya, pero sa birth certificate po nya is sibulan negros oriental po. Papaano po ito maisasaayos di po ba ang birth certificate ang dapat tingnan? Thank you po 3 years ago

Hi gud afternoon po.hihingi lang po ako ng advice kung ano po ang gagawin kumuha po ako ng passport sa angency noong 2006 hindi naluko po ako sa angency sa manila nalaman ko po ang passport ko backlas noong ni renniew ko diti sa launion sabi ng nag assist. sa akin backlas daw po passport ko kailanga ko kasi kumuha ng passport. for visa ano po ba ang gagawin ko.

marvin 3 years ago

nwla po ng agency ko ang passport ko pls. guide me to bring back my pasport 2007 pa un kinuha s akin.thanks god bless.

chat 2 years ago

hi good pm,I lost my valid passport in Canada,kung mag-aapply po ako sa DFA-Cebu is there any chance that they can expedite it for 15 days ? Thanks.

chat 2 years ago

Hi good pm...I lost my valid passport in Canada. ang plano namin ay sa DFA-Cebu kami mag proprocess for the replacement of my lost valid passport. Is there a chance that ma-expedite ng DFA-Cebu for 15 days? Thanks you.

angelsbreathe 2 years ago

hi gud pm! nwla poh pasport ko sa china,2017 pa poh ang expire,ano poh ang dpt kong gawin para mkakuha ulit ng bago,pwd bng mag aplay from here to pinas? please guide me poh...thanks

Mia 2 years ago

Hi i just want to ask i have passport pero past twenty years na yun at kukuha ako ng bago will it be tagged as lost passport or new application? Ang sabi kasi if its 20yrs after dapat new application na?any help thanks

michael 2 years ago

Hi can i ask.. in the police report for lost passport need bah ilagay ang passport number sa police report?

karen 2 years ago

Hello, ask ko lang 9 years na wala yung passport ko pero expired na need pa bang magpa police report at notarized? pwede ba kumuha nlang ulit ng bago? thanks po....

rachelle 2 years ago

what if i go home with travel documents only then i want to do pasport again and i don't have police report what will i do now

dale 2 years ago

are they going to issue the same passport no.?

twentyfive profile image

twentyfive 2 years ago Author

You'll have new passport number when your passport is renewed or replaced :)

ruffy 2 years ago

hi can i renew my passport it will expire on sept 2018?i need it to be clean coz we will use it on applyng for visa at there a way that i can renew it?

louielei 2 years ago

Hi...ask ko lng po kung pwede kong gmitin ung aplido ko s aswa ko pagkuha ng pasport?kc po ung pasport ko nung dalaga ako e naiwan sa agency ko binlikan ko po kdo srado n at d n nagooprrate..kangan ko p po b sbhin sa dfa n eron nko dti o ok n po un...pero expired nrin po kc un nung july 2007...pls pkisagot.thnks

peph18 2 years ago

Hi ask ko lang po if pwde i renew ung broken passport?couse by acidentally was the made mistakes?

jay 23 months ago

Nawala po passport ko, magexpire na sya next year november, pagkukuha ba ako ng bago valid ba ung makukuha ko for 5 years or ung date ng expire nung dati kng passport...thanks

kharen gonzaga 23 months ago

nawala po ung passport ko,ngaun ku2ha po ako uli ng passport para makpnta sa austrlia,txt me pls 09064812302

esteban 14 22 months ago

mam ask ko lang po ksi ung pasport ko kinuha po ng ping apllyan ko n tao pero niloko po at hangang ngaun wala n tangy n pati pasport ko my poloice repor po ako 2011 ng november p po valid pa po ba yun at ano po ang gagawin ko pwedi po ba n di ako mag pa apiont diretso n po ako dfa

Riza Guzman 22 months ago

How many months we can take a new passport after we file a lost passport

jesmer ogerio 21 months ago

hi...pag wala po bang valid id ano po ang pwede dalhin na magpoprove name ako talaga yun

Sheila 21 months ago

Hi Please help me please. I need to expedite my lost valid passport. As I went to DFA yesterday clearing time is 15days plus 10days express. so most probably my passport will be released on June 19th. But I need it urgent I already have a visa reference #, and the US EMBASSY emailed me to comply the requirements on or before June 10 otherwise it will be forfeited. huhu but very impossible. Can you help me I tried my best in fact I went to director's office to reduce the clearing period but he needs a copy of contract employment so he can reduce it to May 29 instead of June 5. Sad to say, I cannot provide him a copy of the docs he wants coz i can only get my contract employment once docs are submitted and that's the time I can sign a contract also my employer can't give me a copy of a contract employment since it's confidential and it's immigration to immigration.

Now, Please help how, huhu minsan lang tong pangarap na to.  please

sheila 21 months ago

Hi is someone knows out-there working in DFA and can help me expedite my lost valid passport. and can reduce the 15day clearing period. please :(

Diane 21 months ago

Hi shiela i have same problem with you . I lost my passport here in macau ..i talked to some agency in phils and they told me total of 12 days daw . Totoo ba n pag lost valid passport no need for appoinment na? Thanks

weng 20 months ago

Hi po ask ko po if pwd renew passport ko.kso wla me mga document dto.just serox copy only of my old passport.dto me sa malaysia.n i lost my passport coz someone cheated wat cani do.

Leticia A. Basconcillo 20 months ago

Can I get a replacement of my lost valid passport at DFA San Fernando, La Union since it was there that I got my original one. Thank you...

jhon 20 months ago

hi i lost my passport then i want to apply for a lost passport, i want to ask if posible ba na ibang number yung ibigay sakin even my passport is still valid i think more than 1year pa siya bago ma expire.. thankyou..

randy 19 months ago

Tanong lng po!!ung passport ko matagal na nawala sa expired na pwd lng po ba affidavit of lost lng ippakita wala police report?

Nieves barcena 18 months ago

Ilan araw bago makuha ang police report

raico 18 months ago

hey I LOST MY PASSPORT yet eventually found what should i do ive already filed the notarized of affidavit of loss but when i came back after 15 days processing nghihingi sila ng id like old id what should i do and pede padin bako pumunta ng dfa without an a ppointment or need padin thanks po

Liza 17 months ago

mine naman po, nakafile napo ako for lost just waiting 15 days, suddenly i found it and i have a flight going back dubai, may tatak po kc travel visa ung old passport, pede ko parin po b gamitin ang old passport, then what will happen to d new one

patricia 16 months ago

Kumuha po ako nong passport 2013 po e sa 2018 pa po ang expired kailangan ko po ba talagang ipabago to..tanx i need your rply

fiel 16 months ago

Morning po...kinuha po ng agency q ung passport q sa mlaysia ngtravel doc..po aq paowe sa 2018 pa po mg expired un!gusto qpo kuha ng po?

norie 15 months ago

thank you... this info can really help me. God bless!

emilyn 14 months ago

Hi tanung ko lang po young passport kp po kasi nawala kaso expire na po siya last sept.ano po requiremwnts para kumuha ng panibago,salamat po

ahnne 12 months ago

hi po ask ko lng pano po gawin ko if lost passport po aq..ngaung 2016 ang expiration.. gus2 q po kumuha ng bgo den magpachange status ndin..kailangan pdin po ba ng police report at affidavit?

george 12 months ago

as k lng po my passport n ak dati 1976 ag gamit k late registrd po ak ng kumuha ak ng N.S.O ag lubas po ay 1977 an po ag dapat kung gawin

profile image

kareenmae 12 months ago

gudday ..ask ko poh sana nawala kasi passport ko 1yr ago na still valid pa poh xa...paano poh kung my ibang tao gumamit poh sa passport ko..mkakakuha pa poh ba ako ng bago?

cristina 11 months ago

pnano po kya kng ung passport eh nd p bnblik ng agency?la nmn aq contact s knla taz cancelled p ngaun ug agency?mkkha q p kya un?ippgmit kya un s iba?

Jane 11 months ago

hi gud afternoon po do i need to get new pasport or declare as lost pastport ko kc po nawala nong binagyo po at binaha kami sa mindanao un pasport ko po nawala but expired na po this year, i can't remember if what month. i just remembered it valid start November 2011 - 2016. your quick reply is really appreciated. Thank you.

chox 10 months ago

hello po ask kolang is it possible na mabgyan ako ng travel document without my appearance? nag fill up lang ako ng form kasi amo ko nakawala ng passport ko and sabi nila mecontact person sila sa narobi phil consulate and tatawagan daw ako for it possible? and authenticated kaya yun? salamat po...

rozalyne 9 months ago

hi lost valid passport ako. actually galing nako sa DFA yesterday . pinapakuha nila ako voter's id and sss id . nakakuha na ako ng voters id pero sa middle initial ko may isang letter na mali . at yung sss id kaka apply ko lang sya today . 3-4months bago ko makuha. wala nabang ibang paraan na documents bukod sa *SSS ID, VOTERS ID, PRC ID and DRIVERS LICENSE? Please help . thanks

mscarter 7 months ago

I lost my passport - still valid and I don't have a photocopy of its first page. Before you can file a police report and get an affidavit of loss, you need to have your passport details. And if you don't have these information, you can acquire them from the DFA Office in your area. For you to get the information, first thing you need to do is to schedule an appointment online Please secure your documents like original NSO Copy, Voter's ID, Residence Certificate, ITR and have them photocopied. You need to wait for 2 weeks to 1 month just to get these information and from there, you already file the affidavit of loss and the police report. Submit those papers to the DFA Office on your scheduled appointment then you need to wait for another 15 business days for the clearing period. After all these are done, then finally, you can reapply for new application of your passport for replacement. It will be up to you if you will have it expedited to be released after 10 business days or the normal process which will take you 20 business days.

P.S. It's very important for you to have the first page of your passport to be photocopied or at least have a soft copy of it so you don't have to go through the first process.

gina 3 months ago

hi good day....ask ko lng kung anu maggandang gawin kz un old pasport ko e expired na last 2003...apelyido ko nung dalaga pa now gusto ko kumuha ng bago pasport pero change status na po ...nsunugan po kmi nkasama sa sunog ung old pasport ko....need ko pa ba i file ng lost o pwede na ako kumuha as new...salamat...

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.

    Click to Rate This Article