San Francisco’s Gulf of Farallones National Marine Sanctuary Visitor’s Center
What do you know about the nature and marine life of the San Francisco Bay Area? Would you like to learn more? Many people don’t realize that an opportunity to learn about this part of San Francisco is available right in their own backyard. And now, you don’t actually have to go out on the water to learn about it! All that you need to do is to visit the Gulf of Farallones National Marine Sanctuary Visitor’s Center. This free San Francisco museum is located in a beautiful setting on the bay.
To give you a little bit more insight into this place, let’s talk about the Farallones Marine Sanctuary Assocations (FMSA). This is a group that was created for the purpose of protecting the wildlife of the Farallon Islands. These little islands are located close to San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge. There are National Marine Sanctuaries here that protect the marine animals that call this place home. Believe it or not, there are over three-dozen different species of marine life around these islands. The sanctuaries protect the animals and their habitats. The museum celebrates this and educates the public about it.
Some of the key things that you might want to know about this educational center are:
· This museum is always free. It is a small museum but it is jam-packed with a lot of interesting information. It is open Wednesday through Sunday from 10-4.
· This museum is designed to be an all-ages museum. There are smart educational exhibits that will interest adults. There are also hands-on interactive exhibits that will keep children entertained.
· The FMSA was founded a very long time ago, way back in the late nineteenth century. Even back then it was recognized that the marine wildlife and their habitats here should be protected.
· Some of the marine animals that are protected by the FMSA are endangered. You can learn a lot more about the importance of this at the museum.
· The museum is located right near Crissy Field in the Presidio neighborhood of San Francisco. Just outside of the museum you will find the local beach of the San Francisco Bay along with grassy hillsides where people play with their kids and dogs. From the museum you can walk to major San Francisco attractions including The Exploratorium science center, the Golden Gate Bridge and Fort Point.
This visitor’s center museum is also a great place to get information about upcoming events in the San Francisco Bay Area. The museum helps with fairs, volunteer work, organic food festivals and other fun events. Be sure to ask at the information desk of the museum to find out if you can volunteer or attend an upcoming event.
As a side note, artistic and creative people may enjoy this little museum even if they are not specifically interested in the marine life of the San Francisco Bay Area. This is due to the fact that the walls of the museum are covered with stunning murals that are over fifteen feet tall. This artwork celebrates the Bay Area’s ocean life.
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE10
There are a lot of foods that are popular in the San Franciso Bay Area. And you can get pretty much any food that you’d like to indulge in when you spend time in this city because there are restaurants of every...
This is the story of Chinese immigration to San Francisco and a haunted house in the city related to that history. San Francisco has a long and rich history related to Chinese immigration to America. There are many...
Dog toys can be a great source of entertainment, mental stimulation, and even dental hygiene for your pet. Plus, chew toys help take their focus off of the desire to chew your things! Unfortunately, though, a lot of...