Travel Tip: Bring Snacks
When you're travelling, the best way to save money is to bring your own snacks.
You finally get on the plane, you've got your music, you've got books, you've got puzzles to occupy you while you are on a 2 or more hour flight. Then your stomach starts to rumble and the pangs make itself known. You look around and you wonder when the flight attendant is going to stroll down the aisle with the beverage and snack cart. Unless you're in first class (hah!) you're not going to be served anything upon taking your seat on the plane. You got your overpriced water or soda so you're not thirsty but you do want to munch on something. Right now. You look at the menu card to see what's available and you can't believe the prices. Three dollars for half a can of Pringles? Five dollars for a six ounce can of nuts? Three dollars for Oodles of Noodles? Are you kidding me? It's so overpriced, you say to yourself. But you came unprepared to the airport without any snacks and being unprepared will cost you. This is when you find out that the best way to save money is to bring your own food on the plane.
Money Saving Tip
The days of getting a meal on board the plane included as part of the ticket you paid for the flight are now part of nostalgia. Everyone is trying to make a living, including the airlines so if they can do that by selling you an expensive potato chip, then they will. So the best way to save money is by bringing your own snacks and preparation is easy. All you need is a large plastic zip bag and putting in all the things that will sate your hunger. For a 2-hour flight I would suggest a combination or all of the following:
- A small can of chips, or small bag of any of the following: pretzels, bagel chips, popcorn, granola, party mix, crackers.
- Dried noodles in a cup or bowl such as Oodles of Noodles (which you can buy for less than a dollar on sale or any other brand similar). All you need is hot water, which is what the airline can give you without charging.
- A small bag of nuts, whether that's peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc. This would be very filling and will assuage any hunger pangs during the flight.
- A small bag of fresh fruit such as grapes, cherries, strawberries, plums or a banana. If you bring oranges, make sure they are of the easy to peel variety.
- Something sweet like a small box of raisins, granola bar, yogurt bar, candy, chocolate bar, a pack of cookies.
- Don't forget to bring a plastic spoon, fork, knives in case you need them.
- Bring napkins. It's always a good idea to have something to wipe with your hands.
Would you pay more to get an in-flight meal?See results without voting
Suggested Items for an Early Morning Flight
If you're taking an early flight, all you'll probably want to do is sleep, but you're going to have to wake up some time and your stomach will be rumbling. What to do? The best way to save money is to prepare and bring your own breakfast. You can still bring some of the food on the list but you might replace a couple of items with a:
- Bowl of dry cereal. That's right bring your own plastic spill-proof bowl with a screw-top and fill it with your favorite cereal. All you need is milk (which is free) from the flight attendant and you'll be ready. Don't forget the plastic spoon.
- Breakfast bar. It's easy to pack and chock full of vitamins. Drink a cup of coffee with it and you're fine.
- Buttered roll or donut (no cream filling) or bagel with cream cheese. Drink a cup of coffee or tea and you've got breakfast.
Any of the above cost a dollar at the most and you can fashion you own snack bag/breakfast bag as healthy or as caloric as you want it to be. In addition, if there are delays on the tarmac, you have your own stash that will carry you through a longer flight. Ultimately the best way to save money is to be prepared.
More by this Author
Public transportation from LaGuardia airport to Manhattan, JFK Airport, and Newark Liberty Airport.
Walk into the front entrance of M&M World in Times Square and you will be confronted by something you've never seen before: a giant blue, almond M&M spokescandy boogeying to music in a white disco suit....
It used to be that when women started getting gray hairs it meant that they were too old to be attractive. Women are refusing to think that way anymore and it's about time. There are so many accomplished older women...