Spend A Day At Put In Bay On South Bass Island
Put In Bay: A Beautiful Spot On An Island In A Lake
Spending a day at Put In Bay is a unique adventure. Put In Bay is located on South Bass Island in the Lake Erie Island area. The island itself is a tiny jewel in Lake Erie and measures only 2 miles by 4 miles.
Put In Bay is a magical place with quaint little shops, tasty eateries and fun bars amongst other things. There are accommodations available such as hotels, cottages and bed n breakfasts. It's a good idea to have reservations especially on summer weekends as the places tend to book early. You will truly have a one of a kind experience.
Getting To Put In Bay
There are two ways to get to Put In Bay, either by boat or by air. If you have a boat you can sail right into the bay and dock at the marina. Most visitors to Put In Bay take one of two ferries that travel there, the Jet Express or the Miller Ferry. The Jet Express leaves from Port Clinton and Sandusky and lets you right off in the middle of downtown Put In Bay and the Miller Ferry leaves from Catawba drops you off on the other side of the island where you can take a taxi or bus to the main area. You can also bring your car with you on the Miller Ferry however most people get around by bike, walking or golf carts.
The other way to access the island is by air. South Bass Island has its own airport and you can fly right in anytime. In winter its the only way to access the island.
Things To Do At Put In Bay
What can you do on a 2 mile by 4 mile island? There are plenty of attractions in the Put In Bay area and around South Bass Island. Its a great summer place and full of summer fun.
- Perry's National Monument - This 352 feet memorial was built to honor Commodore Perry's victory in the War of 1812. Take a ride to observation platform at the top for awesome views of Lake Erie and the surrounding islands.
- Fishing - The Put In Bay area is great for bass, perch and walleye fishing.
- Bar Hopping - There are plenty of bars or pubs in the area. Drinking is a favorite pastime for many visitors to Put In Bay.
- South Bass Island State Park - Public camping facilities are available at South Bass Island State Park but reservations are needed most of the time. Call 866.644.6727.
- Boating and Jet Skiing - Boating and jet skiing is great fun in and around the Lake Erie Island area. The boat docks at the marina can get very crowded and the boats tie on to each other. You can also rent various watercraft on the island.
- Heinemann's Winery and Crystal Cave - Take a tour of the winery and see the cave. Wine tasting is available. This is a popular attraction for visitors.
- Shopping - There are many quaint gift shops and specialty stores located in Put In Bay. Its fun to stroll around whiles stopping to look at all the fun items that are for sale.
- Tour The Island by Bicycle or Golf Cart - You can rent golf carts or bikes at several locations. Its a great way to see the area at your own pace and enjoy all the pretty views.
- Dining - You can have a great meal at any of the Put In Bay restaurants from a cheeseburger to a fabulous seafood feast.
- Perry's Cave Family Fun Center - Things to do here include a visit to Perry's Cave. Gemstone Mining, Butterfly House, Miniature Golf, Car Museum, Maze and Climbing Wall. A new family attraction is the Butterfly House. It is a unique habitat for a large variety of Butterflies and is divided into three separate rooms.
- Put In Bay Island Tour Train - A unique way to see and learn about South Bass Island is a take a narrated ride aboard the island tour train. This one hour ride makes stops at numerous island attractions.
Attractions Around Put In Bay On A Map
More Things To Do In Put In Bay
There are various places around Put in Bay that you can check out when you get there. You will find plenty of water activities such as swimming, jet ski rental and para-sailing. Golf is also a popular activity for the island visitors. The park in the center of town has a wonderful carousel that kids and adults love.
If any of the activities I have listed here don't appeal to you then just pick a nice bench to sit on and people watch or enjoy the lovely scenery that make up Put In Bay. Enjoy!
More by this Author
Halloween is one of those holidays that is great for fun food items. If you are having a Halloween party or just want to make the day extra special, check out the Halloween recipes and pictures here.
- 55Best Facebook Quotes 2016 To Update Your Status - Popular Facebook Sayings to Make Friends Laugh or Cry
Updating your status is a major activity for Facebook members. The most popular, best Facebook sayings and quotes can be found here.
A guide to the most wanted Christmas gifts this season. If you want to know the most popular gifts for Christmas gift giving this year, this article will give you advice on Christmas shopping.