A Week in the Country: Try an Agri-Tourism Adventure This Year
A Different Kind of Vacation
Airfares are high. Gas prices are soaring. Many people are cancelling their vacations and making plans to clean out their closets or watch two weeks of daytime TV.
Don't despair! You can still have a memorable vacation without breaking the bank. Consider an exciting new travel option called agri-tourism.
Things to Do in the Country
Agri-tourism opportunities are as varied as tourists. A few of the many activities offered include
- Winery tours and wine tasting parties
- Romantic B and Bs
- bike rides on country roads
- guided hikes on peaceful trails
- horseback rides, hayrides, and carriage rides
- cattle drives
- tours of working farms
- seasonal photography expeditions led by famous pro-shooters
- art studio tours and gallery openings
- music festivals in the fields
- farmers' markets
- county fairs
- agricultural museums and living history projects
- restaurant jaunts featuring fresh local produce
- local harvest festivals
- small-town old-fashioned parades and Fourth of July Celebrations
- folk art workshops
- writing workshops with agricultural themes
- ecology preservation tours
- organic gardening workshops
- regional cooking workshops
- plein air painting by the side of the road
- visiting a pick-it-yourself orchard and coming home with bagsful of fresh summer fruit (warning--unless you pay for this priviledge at a special farm, picking fruit from an orchard is theft, and will be prosecuted.)
Some Useful Links
- Agri-tourism World
This site provides links to information about agri-tourism all over the Web. Use it to find the perfect vacation close to home.
- Agri-tourism on Wikipedia
For basic information about the subject, and a few links, try this online encyclopedia entry.
- Farms as Attractions and Entertainment
Get more information about this fast-growing industry in this article.
- Agri-tourism in Colorado
This site provides links to wineries, farms, and community resources that will help you plan a farm or ranch vacation in Colorful Colorado.
- Denver Post Article about Agri-tourism in the State
Agritourism in New York State
Local Vacation Hubs
- Vacation Close To Home With These 5 Biking Trails in...
Midwest vacation destinations are hot this year, thanks in part to rising gas prices which in turn have pushed airline tickets out of the budgets for many family vacations. Midwest family vacation options...
- What are some fun vacation ideas for families with c...
A vacation usually means going away to some beautiful spot and unwinding. I would advise staying close to home with little ones so they do not have to endure long travel by car or plane. If your are...
- Summer Vacation with Kids
Kids look forward to summer all year long. They look forward to no homework, no report cards, and no teachers to tell them what to do. During the summer kids can sleep late, go to the beach, play with friends...
- Best Mini Vacations In British Columbia Canada
Being famous for its absolutely stunning nature, British Columbia offers endless variety of options of how to spend a weekend or where to go for a mini vacation. Vacationing in British Columbia last year,...
- Google Earth Traveling
If you're old enough, you may remember the days when seeing the wonders of the world meant sitting on the floor cross-legged looking through the Funk & Wagnalls. By the way, for the remainder of this hub I...
- My Favorite Travel Websites
GENERAL TRAVEL TIPS & TOOLS - Info & Tips - Wifi Access - Restaurants - Travel Directories & News AIR TRAVEL: Air Tips & Tools - Air Fares & Bookings - Major Air-Hotel-Car Reservations - Budget Airlines -...
- Six Must See Travel Spots In The Western United Stat...
Information of six travel destinations across the Western United States, including: The Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion National Monument, St. George Utah, Las Vegas, and Disneyland.
- Adjectival Tourisms
Adjectival Tourisms are all those forms of tourism that have an adjective in front of them. I can currently think of two broad forms of adjective tourisms. The first is niche tourism markets -- those that...
- Agricultural tourism in Central California
Agricultural tourism has sprouted up within the last two decades and is considered by some as a tool for increasing the viability of family farms and rural communities. It is a form of ecotourism, the key...
- Agritourism – Combining Agriculture and Tourism
Agritourism is an activity that combines travel with agricultural experiences. It involves outdoor activities with a thrust on learning. These trips have a country theme with day trips. Tennessee is known...
- Agriculture Directory
Agricultural directory provides not only valid information but also helps the modern day farming. With the advent of science and technology modern cultivator needs various modern equipments like harvesters,...
- Frugal Traveler: American Road Trip
- Cheap Flights, Hotels, and Rental Cars -- Discount Airfare | Priceline.com
- The Premier North Georgia Bed and Breakfast Inn; the Beechwood Inn is located in the Beautiful North