St Lucia - What To Do And See
St Lucia is a lush green tropical island located twenty-four miles north of St Vincent and the Grenadines near Barbados. This island is known for its many pristine beaches and "The Pitons," St Lucia's most famous landmark. Two of the main tourist areas are Castries and Soufrière; St Lucia is twenty-seven miles long, roughly fourteen miles wide and is part of the Windward Islands there in the eastern Caribbean.
With ample rainfall and rich volcanic soil, this is a haven for various species of flora. Unlike many of her neighbors, this island has a mountainous rain-forest covered interior, with the highest peak being Mt. Grime. St Lucia's pride is evident in the island's ongoing protection and conservation efforts. Of the remaining thirty-thousand acres of rainforest, over 18,500 acres are protected and home to various species of plants, trees and fauna.
Life is laid-back on colorful St Lucia and a visit here will immerse you into nature's arms in a variety of ways:
- You can hike the nature trails in the rainforest viewing waterfalls, trees and many indigenous animals amidst the foliage.
- How about a few days of snorkeling & diving at one of the islands popular dive sites.
- If you wanna relax, there are many beautiful beaches just right for a day of relaxation.
- How about the excitement of a horseback ride along a beach, during the twilight of the day.
- For you windsurfing enthusiast, there are a variety of beaches and coves that are ideal for this activity, especially on the east coast.
- Another great activity is an aerial tour of St Lucia. Imagine the thrill of seeing the island from the air, in the comfort of a helicopter.
- For the fishing enthusiast, how about a deep sea fishing tour. The tours are a great activity even for the novice. All supplies needed for the trip are included.
- If you are an off road enthusiast, the ATV adventure is a must do activity.
- For the night owl, there is the St Lucian nightlife; this means different things to different people. For some it is a romantic dinner or an intimate evening cruise; for others it is relaxation or a wild night on the town. When the sun is going down, this island comes alive. Different areas of the island have their own activities; see what is available where you are staying. However, if you prefer the comforts of your hotel, many offer in-house entertainment.
St Lucia has the makings of a great excursion. With so many activities to choose from, there is sure to be something for almost anyone. In addition to the activities already mentioned, there is Jet Skiing, Dolphin and Whale watching, Cycling adventures, Rainforest canopy adventures and of course shopping. Also, this island has some of the best accommodations and dining in the region. If you desire to vacation in a semi-undiscovered island, away from swarms of tourist at other mainstream destinations, welcome to St Lucia.
More by this Author
Find some off-the-beaten-path destinations for your next vacation.
The Caribbean has some of the best dive sites in the world. However, it takes more than clear blue water to make a good snorkeling destination. A good snorkeling site should have calm waters, and a water depth of around...
Caribbean vacations are among the most relaxing and affordable holidays. For advice about how to plan your trip, consult this guide ranking the top ten islands to visit with specific tips.