You Can Stay and Still Get Away
With high gas prices and entertainment being a lower financial priority compared to most summers, it's resourceful for most to have a staycation this summer. A staycation means you plan activities within your town or even just in your home instead of traveling to a destination. Here are a list of ideas to help you get started so you can save some money while still having fun and making memories.
1. Camp in your backyard. Kids love to pretend they are really camping and it can still be fun for the whole family, especially if you include a campfire. This can include hours of roasting marshmallows and hot dogs, singing songs, and star gazing. Unplug your electronic devices for a total fulfilment. That act alone will help adults to feel like they are in a remote location.
2. Check out what your town has to offer via a website or the local paper. Movies, of course, could be part of a mini "getaway", but these can get expensive, especially for larger families. I recommend checking out festivals, whether they are musical, involve crafts or revolve around food. These can be free or offered at a low cost. Don't forget local theater productions, museums, fairs, concerts, zoos, and sporting events.
3. Hire a maid, order pizza, and rent movies for a whole weekend of taking it easy. As an alternative, you can have board game nights, video game battles, pool parties, and cooking lessons. It's all about having fun with each other doing things that you normally wouldn't have the time to do.
4. Host a mini Olympics for your family or even for the whole neighborhood. It can be made up of traditional sports, such as wiffle ball baseball, soccer, football, or badminton. It can also be quite effective if it's comprised of wacky competitions, such as water balloon relays, 3 legged races, jumping contests, or other creative concoctions of physical displayment.
5. Why go to a water park when you can build your own in your backyard? Get out the sprinklers, slip-n-slides (can also be made by plastic tarps and slippery soap), hoses, and kiddie pools to make a makeshift water wonderland. If you really want to get into the spirit, have the whole street provide everything they have and transform the neighborhood into a paradise.
6. For the adults, date nights are always fun. Look up special offers online for chain restaurants and call ahead to local eateries for specials and deals. Go to a dollar movie theater or a local play production for less expensive forms of entertainment.
7. Cheap entertainment that can be used as an integral part of your staycation includes movies, TV shows, and music. Redbox is a cheap way to rent the latest movies. They charge a $1 fee and only duplicate that charge if the dvd isn't returned by the next night. If you don't want to pay anything, try your local library. It may not include the latest movies, but usually houses classics, books made into movies, and movies that are only a few years old. For tv shows, most major networks show some full episodes online for free. Pandora is a favorite for free music if you want something other then radio. It actually gives you control, because you can create stations that are molded every time that you click buttons that allow you to give positive or negative feedback for each song. For those that have been living under a rock, Youtube is a treasure trove of entertainment which includes some snippets of movies and television and a lot of amateur tomfoolery and music videos.
Staycations are about being creative, having fun, and saving money so your family can spend some time together making unique memories. Use these ideas or make up some of your own!
More Staycation Ideas
- Plan a Staycation in YOUR Town Life As Mom
A round-up of US wide staycation ideas.
- Georgia\'s official tourism and travel website - Explore Georgia
ExploreGeorgia.org is Georgia's official tourism website, with travel ideas, planning tools and exclusive special offers. Everything you need to find and plan a great Georgia vacation, including places to stay, things to do and events in Georgia.
- Summer 2011 - Kids\' Summer Ideas & Activities | FamilyFun
Summer time! Time to pull out all the stops for maximum fun! Great summer crafts, recipes, games, party ideas and more awesome Family Fun ideas for the summer season.
- Smart Day Trips to the 10 Best Children\'s Museums: 2011
Tons of cool stuff to touch, one-of-a-kind educational exhibits, and special events galore put these kid-driven museums on top of our must-visit list.
- Welcome to festivals.com!
Your local event and world festival calendar of events! Find a music festival, film festival or even a jazz festival!
- DVD Rental | New Movies on Blu-Ray and DVD at Redbox
Rent, reserve and preview new movie DVDs online at redbox.com. $1-a-night DVDs; Blu-ray and video game rentals too. New customers get a rental credit when they reserve their 1st movie! Over 27,000 redbox locations nationwide.
- Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music
Pandora radio is the personalized internet radio service that helps you find new music based on your old and current favorites. Create custom web radio stations, listen free.
- Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free.
Hulu.com is an online video service that offers hit TV shows including Family Guy and 30 Rock. Our extensive library also includes classic TV series and blockbuster movies. Start watching now. No registration or downloads required.
- CBS TV Network Primetime, Daytime, Late Night and Classic Television Shows
Watch CBS television online. Find CBS primetime, daytime, late night, and classic tv episodes, videos, and information.
- ABC.com - Official Site of the ABC Network
Visit ABC online for information on ABC daytime and primetime network programming. Watch full episodes of your favorite ABC shows and browse exclusive online content.
- TV Network for Primetime, Daytime and Late Night Television Shows - NBC Official Site
Official NBC site for primetime, daytime and late night television shows. Television (TV) network includes soap opera, reality shows and more. Find additional information on the official NBC TV site.
CNN Story on Staycation (2008)
12 News Staycation (2008)
CBS Backyard Staycation
Smart Family (2011)
More by this Author
These are just some of the little things that annoy us as humans. Can you relate to any of them?
Remember to pack these items before your next vacation.
Discover fashion from the 50's and learn how to recreate the look for today.