Temples of Khandra, West Bengal
*It is a small village About 12 km from Durgapur; 5 km from Andal mor at NH-2 in the district of Bardhaman, West Bengal.
* The village has 2 landowner families : Sarkar (living here for last 500 yrs); & Bakshi (who are here for 250 yrs).
* The Sarkar family is divided into two lines : Baro taraf & Chhoto taraf, both of which indulged in building temples in the village, mainly temples dedicated to Goddess Durga & Lord Krishna with His divine consort Radha.
* During my trip there on 19 May 2011, three members of the Bakshi family Gautam, Sukhendu (Tinu), Malay Kanti (Bhramar) helped me immensely.
* Temples of Khandra :-
1. Radha Madhab temple : Sarkar baro taraf’s; East facing; Established by Jugal Kishiore Sarkar in 1643 Shakabda (1721 AD).
This Pancha Ratna or 5 pinnacled (Vishnupur style) Laterite built temple with triple entrance has moderate Stucco work.
The temple complex consists of : The Main temple, Rashmancha (Pancha Ratna, plastered, with compound pier (Kalaaghechhe thaam in Bengali), Naat Mandir, Bhog Mandir ( with some old stone figures) , & a most unusual structure on the backside of the main temple made of laterite. It does look like a temple, but may be a separate structure altogether.
2. Lakshmi Narayan temple: Belonging to Sarkar Chhoto taraf’s, this Brick-built Pancha Ratna (5 Pinnacled) with ridged turret south facing temple has triple entrance;
established by Pratap Chandra Sarkar in 1308 Bangabda (1902 AD); Thisbeautiful templewith extensive stucco work contains a rare Lakshmi-Narayan shila ( a sacred stone which is regarded as a symbol of Lord Vishnu) The temple was recently renovated.
3. Gopal temple : A small Laterite built 18th century Dalan (flat-roofed) type temple with triple entrance, this temple houses idols of Radha Krisna (made of Astadhatu or an alloy of 8 metals) (original Gold idol was stolen in 1955).
4. Shiva temple near Gopal temple : It is a small , laterite built, Chaar-chaala (4 roofed) type temple.
5. Neelkantha Shiva : 2 km from Khandra; said to be very old; original temple demolished & a new temple is under construction. Big stone Lingam.
More by this Author
Temples of Khardah Khardah is a small town in the district of North 24 Parganas, West Bengal. It is on the eastern bank of the sacred river Ganges, about 25 km from Kolkata. Khardah is an important place for the...
Situated at an altitude of 867 metres inside the Buxa Tiger Reserve in West Bengal, Buxa Fort is a nice place to visit. It's importance is mainly for it's association with the freedom fight of India.
Jali work is used in Indian architecture from ancient times, reaching it's peak in the Mughal periods. This is an photographic introduction to stone Jali work , often described as Poetry in stone.