Ten stupid things that rich people buy
Once again while I was driving to work and listening to my favorite morning radio show I heard yet another interesting discussion between the disk-jockeys that I wanted to share with you all. The topic of discussion this morning was a short list of ten different stupid things that rich people buy and spend their money on.
This reminds me of a commercial that I saw on television a while back about leasing, otherwise known as renting, a particular model of a Mercedes Benz for nearly $600.00 a month, and I thought that this was ridiculous enough. I mean come on, you're paying that much for a car to drive from point A to point B, and you don't even own it. However that was nothing when I heard about this list of ten stupid things that some rich people buy. Not all rich people, but just certain ones who obviously have nothing better to do with their money.
I've also heard of a simple 99¢ pair of rubber flip flops costing almost $100.00 at a fancy shop on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, California, and Rolex watches costing as much as hundreds of thousands of dollars, but some of the ten things listed on this list really take the cake. Sometimes certain people in this world have more money than sense, and if you are reading this and bought one of these items, then with the current state of the economy shame on you.
1) The next time you are in Las Vegas, Nevada, and you're looking for an expensive burger, just stop by Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino. You can get the FleurBurger 5000, which is Kobe beef stuffed with black truffles and foie gras, garnished with truffle sauce and served on a brioche truffle bun for $5,000. French fries are extra!
2) To wash down that expensive burger you can stop by the Talon Club and enjoy a single pour of 50-year-old single-malt Scotch whiskey. It's poured straight from a hogshead cask from the Scottish Highlands. A 1.5 ounce shot of this whiskey is $3,400 or you can get the whole bottle for $30,000.
3) In an overly bland corporate environment there are many different things used to boost some type of excitement. For the boss that gets big bonus checks there's 14 carat gold plated staples for that pretty little secretary of theirs. He can pick up 24 single staples for around $80.00 or 59.00 euros. Just remember these staples aren't intended for stapling everyday paperwork.
4) Most people who like Elvis Presley buy an album of his songs that they like listening to. There's also Tee shirts with his photograph on, postage stamps, and if you swing by Graceland the sky is the limit on Elvis souvenirs. However one person with a little more money then they knew what to do with decided to buy a lock of Elvis Presley's hair. At an auction they had the winning bid of $20,000 on lot #288 of 564, which was a lock of Elvis Presleys's hair, which his barber didn't dispose of after cutting Elvis' hair.
5) Now if a person isn't concerned about their feet being comfortable, then here's the perfect pair of shoes for them. For those women who obsess over different types of shoes, and have a stash of cash in their pocketbooks then they just might want to try on a pair of armadillo shoes. They can find a variety of armadillo shoes costing between $3,900.00 to $10,000.00. I really don't see how anyone can walk in them, but there's always different strokes for different folks.
6) They say that everything is bigger in Texas, or at least that's what the folks say in Texas. One man who really had deep pockets decided that he wanted to take up the whole town. So what did he do, he bought an entire town in the state of Texas for a mere two and a half million dollars. I guess this way he won't have to worry about nosy neighbors.
7) Now if you really have some extra money just sitting around, how about expanding your wardrobe. A man from India purchased a solid gold shirt for a whopping $230,000. He claims it's for an investment, and I believe him because I can't imagine it being all that comfortable of a shirt.
8) Now I know that there are a lot of computer geeks out there that have made a fortune from off of the world wide web. People are always trying to upgrade their personnel computer systems, and when a rich person runs out of ideas there's always additional options that they can choose from. Like a jewel covered computer mouse to do their surfing with on the Internet. They can pick up one of these gems for around $30,000. No pun intended.
9) There are big bucks made in the music industry, so it's only natural for there to be some expensive musical instruments out there in the world. A lot of money is shelled out for different musical instruments, however a violin holds the record. A person with a lot of money bought a violin for 3.9 million dollars, which is the current world record for the most expensive musical instrument ever purchased. Another high priced violin that was played by the bandmaster of the Titanic to calm passengers as it sank sold at auction for 1.4 million.
10) Normally a person's biggest living expense is their home, and that's no different for people with a little bit of money. A billionaire in India spent $2,000,000,000 on a 27 story house, skyscraper, which is located in downtown Mumbai, India for his wife and three children. The house is 550 Feet High, and a grand total of 400,000 square feet. It has 9 elevators, 6 floors of parking, three helipads, air traffic control area, family residence, maintenance floor, guest apartments, a swimming pool with a spa and gym, outdoor gardens, a fifty seat cinema, a partridge in a pear tree, and the list goes on and on just the Energizer bunny rabbit does in the commercials. Now this could possibly be called a little bit excessive. This is really a lot of over kill for housing a five member family. Just for a moment imagine all of the poor homeless families in India that a massive 27 story skyscraper of this size could comfortably shelter from the outside elements. Don't you think that this could make a tremendous difference in someone's life who isn't as fortunate? That's just something I wanted to leave for you all to think about as you finish reading this hub. I guess this beats burying all of your money in pickle jars, and I actually work with a nut case that does just that. One good thing about this is that this list of ridiculous things is out just in time for Christmas.
More by this Author
House construction time can vary greatly depending on the climate and season. Typically the completion time for an average single family house is somewhere around 7 months. Houses that are built on an owner's land can...
Everyone has heard of the 7 wonders of the world, which includes breath taking views of nature's beauty in marvelous places like the Grand Canyon. Just as nature has done, mankind has also been leaving astonishing works...
I wrote this some time ago, and I finally decided that it was time to share it with all of my friends on the Hub Pages. The beer can went through a lot of changes to get to where it is today. It didn't look anything...