Boracay, The Best Beach in the Southeast Asia Side of the World
Have you ever dreamed of getting away from it all and finding your own island paradise where you can commune with nature all day and yet can have all the amenities of modern life anytime you choose to have them?
Notice that the operational words here are "commune with nature" and "choose to have them". In other words, this beach is the embodiment of the proverbial "you can have your cake and eat it too"!
Well your dream is about to come true because I have found the perfect island paradise for you. It’s Boracay, a paradise island in the Philippines in Southeast Asia.
Aerial Views of Boracay
Why Boracay is the Place to Be
Boracay is famous for its beaches of white powdery sand that remain cool even during the hottest time of the day. Yes, you can walk on the sand even at noon!
The island is shaped like a dumbbell such that it has a long and wide beach front both on its western and eastern sides. The white beach in the western side is perfect for swimming, walking, sailing and playing while the western side is perfect for surfing and snorkeling.
During high tide, the whole beach area may be submerged in water. When the tide recedes however, it exposes a very wide expanse of white sandy beach that becomes a giant playground for everybody.
After having been to several beaches in this side of the world, I have come to the conclusion that Boracay is the best beach in Southeast Asia. Below are 15 plus reasons why.
15 Plus Reasons Why Boracay is the Best Beach This Side of Southeast Asia
There are 15 plus reasons why Boracay is the best beach in this side of the world.
In Boracay you can do almost anything that your heart desires without breaking the bank.
1. You can just be a beach bum and laze around all day
2. You can go on your honeymoon in your own private beach if you stay in one of those luxury hotels, or you can still enjoy your honeymoon even in the public beach because people will give you enough space and privacy
3. You can swim and play
4. You can enjoy all sorts of water sports from sailing to diving, to snorkeling and kiteboarding.
5. You can just go people watching and maybe connect with your muses to complete your novel.
6. You can enjoy the best sunset or sunrise and take all the photos you like
7. You can unwind with your favourite food or drink while on the beach. There are many restos, bars, and of course hotels along the beach where you can get fresh seafood anytime. There are also several restaurants in “D’Mall” which is found along the beach too.
8. You can party on the beach if you are a party lover
9. You can connect with friends, family and pets, and just have fun together
10. You can even go religious and pray
11. You can search for treasures along the beach
12. You can go jog or do your regular exercise
13. You can shop till you drop because everything is reasonably priced, (dirt cheap even especially if you know how to bargain) in Boracay
14. You can just walk along the beach and do some hotel hopping or food tripping. There is nowhere else in the world where you can check out so many different hotels just by walking along the beach
15. You can build your castle and your dreams
16. You can even leave your own imprint in Boracay
How to Get to Boracay
Boracay is a small island in the Visayas part of the Philippines. It is found at the tip of the island of Panay and it can be reached by a combination of air, land and sea travel.
From Manila, the main travel hub that connects with many parts of the world, you can take a plane going to Caticlan airport. From the airport, get a tricycle to the ferry port and then take a ferry boat to Boracay.
Another way is to take a plane going to Kalibo International Airport, and then take a van or bus to Caticlan, then a ferry boat to Boracay.
If there are just a few people in your party, then the direct route to Caticlan airport then Boracay will be best. However, if there are more than 5 of you in your party, I would advice you to take the plane to Kalibo and then a van to Caticlan and then Boracay. Why so?
Well, the difference in plane fare between Caticlan and Kalibo is about a P1000. A shuttle from Kalibo to Caticlan is only P1500. So, if there are several of you, you will save a sizable amount if you are not that in a hurry to reach Boracay or if your budget is on the tight side.
It’s about an hour drive from Kalibo to Caticlan. The road is good and you will even pass a scenic route on the way.
By the way, aside from the ferry boat fee, you also have to pay an "Environmental fee" at the Caticlan Port. These fees are all standardized and you only need to pay less than P100 for both fees.
Where to Stay in Boracay
There are so many places to stay in Boracay. There is one that will fit whatever budget you have. The choice can range from the super luxurious resorts like “Shangrila’s Boracay Resort, Discovery Shores, Boracay Regency, or Fairways and Blue Waters, to medium range hotels like Monaco Suites , Fridays, to small hotels like Boracay Beach Club, Escondido, Jony’s, Sea Wind or your friendly family hotel like Hannah’s Hotel.
All of these hotels are either right along the beach or are just a few steps away from the beach.
Jony's also owns a beachfront restaurant and it serves the best shakes in the island.
Check out the following websites for more information. You can book right on the internet for most of these hotels.
Getting Around in Boracay
Once you reach the jetty port of Boracay, the tricycle can take you anywhere in Boracay for a reasonable fee. If there are several of you in the party, then take the jeepney which you can hire for P250 - P300 to bring you to your hotel.
You can arrange with your hotel however for a free pick-up from the jetty port. Some big hotels like the Shangrila even have their own boats and will bring you straight from Caticlan right down to the doorsteps of your hotel.
Now that you know how to get to Boracay, get there soon and discover why it is the best beach in this side of the world. You can use the 15 plus reasons I listed, but I am sure you will have your own reasons for visiting or even staying in this island paradise.
I have other hubs about Boracay:
More by this Author
The Puerto Princesa Underground River is now officially one of the "New 7 Wonders of Nature in the World"! This hub describes what you can see and how to get to this site. Visit the place, it's worth every...
“No, I am not interested in doing a mangrove tour” - I told our tour guide. I even told her (with a bit of pride in my voice) that, “my hometown is near a river so I have seen all the mangroves I need...
If you long for a beach vacation with some extra sites and activities thrown in, then Bohol, Philippines is a place to consider. You can enjoy a tour of the island even if you only have two days to do it. You just...