The Best Reasons to Live in Southern California
Huntington Museum in Pasadena California
Why Live in Southern California? 10 Great Reasons
Southern California is a place I know a fair amount about as I was born and raised there. Before someone might say that I am biased towards California, I have to say that I actually am not too biased and especially not compared to some. What I mean is that I have since moved away for our own reasons and have lived in several other places around the United States since that time.
I have enjoyed moving around as our jobs moved us, an enjoyed all the different places for certain reasons. I feel like I can see now, more than ever, the pluses and minuses of living in California. So here are my reasons that someone might want to live in Southern California.
1. You have the Beaches - The beaches are going to have to be at the very top of my list. I am simply in love with the ocean, and I always have been. The coastline alone makes it a wonderful place to be. Despite the expenses of California, there are still some free beaches there.
2. You have Incredible Shopping - There are amazing shopping opportunities and experiences, from South Coast Plaza Mall, to Irvine Spectrum, to the Orange County Swap Meet at the Fairgrounds and much more. Some of my favorite places to shop include the Circle in downtown Orange, or in Laguna Beach off of Pacific Coast Highway. Fashion Island in Newport Beach has been around from before I can remember, and that is always a real treat.
3. The Arts- You have many different art and history museums located in Southern California. For example, there is the Festival of the Arts that goes on annually in Laguna Beach. I have some of my best childhood memories going to the Festival of the Arts shows with my Grandmother and other family members. It was amazing and worth looking into.
There is art however, throughout Southern California if you just look for it. Also, if it is a play that you want to see, or a concert, or some other kind of production, you will be covered.
4. The Botanical Gardens and other kinds of gardens. They have gardens in California that will amaze you. They are so serene and beautiful. Huntington Botanical Gardens is amazing, for instance, a must see.
5. Educational Opportunities of all kinds. From private and public pres schools, elementary schools, high schools and colleges there is literally something for everyone at every stage of life.
6. Disneyland and many other themed parks. There are so many places to visit in Southern California like Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Magic Mountain or Six Flags, and more. There is the California Adventure, Legoland, and Sea World, among others. Balboa Beach Fun Zone and Ferry to Balboa Island is so neat and a must see.
7. The Mountains- Growing up, I knew the direction of the beach from my house by heart, but when you look over your shoulder the other direction, you see Saddleback and other mountains. It was always amazing growing up and occasionally seeing the snow covered mountains in the distance, when the weather around you was still nice.
Going to Big Bear or Arrowhead are some great examples of neat places to go and enjoy the hills and mountains and lakes and what they offer.
8 The Weather - The weather in Southern California is maybe one of the very best things about it! Much more mild, generally speaking overall, than other parts of the country. I had no idea how spoiled I was, and what a treat it was to be able to grow roses, and citrus and avocado trees and more, so easily!
9. For the outdoor opportunities it provides and so much for nature enthusiasts. Whether you are into fishing or golfing or body surfing, etc, there is something here for you. We love to go fishing for example everywhere from Irvine Lake up in the hills to the ocean itself off of the piers and jetties, to deep sea fishing. Once we did Frisbee golf, and that was amazing fun, but whatever your sport or hobby, you are sure to find something special in Southern California.
10. Incredible Diversity - This can be a plus or minus to people, but I think it was an overall plus and grew up within it. I wouldn't change that at all. You will find many varying cultures, worldviews and religions in Southern California. When I was growing up, there was a live and let live mentality there that I hope continues for a long time.
In honesty and fairness, one must also look at the downsides of living in any certain place as well. That is something for people considering moving to such an area to seek out and research, especially if you are considering moving here long term or raising a family.
That said, I don't know of many places that have so many positive things about it, and this list is surely not exhaustive! I know that I am barely scratching the surface.
Picture from when we were at Sea World
Southern California Poll
Have you ever been to Southern California?See results without voting
More by this Author
Come see a gallery of some of the common butterflies that can be found near the Southern California coastline. See what they look like and learn a bit more about them and their habitat there.
Disneyland is Disneyworld's counterpart, only in Southern California. They have so much to offer, including a whole other park called California Adventure! Its is very worth checking them both out!
Sending a card or note to someone that is not feeling well can mean more than you know. If you have ever received a card at a time like that, then you know first hand. These messages and verses are meant to be an...