The Colorado Plateau
Colorado plateau province or Colorado plateau is land blessed with natural beauty. This province is center of four corner states of southwestern United States.
Geography Of Colorado Plateau
This province covers an area of approximately one hundred and thirty thousand square miles, which makes about three hundred and thirty seven thousand kilo meters.
This plateau touches western Colorado, eastern and southern Utah, northern Arizona and northwestern New Mexico. This plateau or province is surrounded by WasatchMountains and Uinta Mountains (branches of Rocky Mountains). This plateau is composed of seven main ranges:
- High Plateaus section
- Grand Canyon section
- Acoma-Zuni Section
- Navajo Section
- Uinta basin Section
- Canyons Land Section
- Datil-Mogollon section
One other interesting geographical aspect of Colorado plateau is Grant Staircase. It is a set of cliffs that seems to be descending in form of a stair case. Cliffs are named as following according to their colors:
- Pink cliff
- Grey cliff
- White cliff
- Vermillion cliff
- Chocolate cliff (the top most).
Colorado Mountain Biking Trails
- Top Mountain Biking Trails
Mountain biking is something which offers bicycle riding off the road, using specialized bicycles which are specially designed for this purpose.
History Of Colorado Plateau
This plateau was home of many tribes from many past millennia. Remains of villages found from different regions of the plateau are made on style of Anasazi culture. The remains also includes some thousands years old spear points.
Spaniards were the first Europeans to reach at Colorado plateau. They were on the quest of Francisco Vazquez de Coronado for the seven cities of Cibola.
They were marching to Grand Canyon under Garcia Lopez de Cárdenas in 1540. The next visit recorded in history to this plateau was done by a missionary named Francisco Garces in June 1776.
Then, in 1869 and 1872 an American geologist and US Army Officer John Wesley Powell charted in region for federal government. Before this, this region of United States was unknown. In 1889-90, Robert B. Stanton and Frank M. Brown support the idea of laying railroads in grand canyon but unfortunately their boats capsized and they drowned.
Natural Resources In Colorado Plateau
- Petroleum: Rocks and mountains of Colorado plateau are rich in natural gas and oil. Arizona, Colorado, san Juan basin of New Mexico, the Uinta Basin of Utah, Paradox Basin of Utah and the Piceance Basin of Colorado are main deposits of petroleum in the plateau.
- Coal: Utah, Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico are major deposits of coal and coal is being mined from these deposits though large mining projects are still not present in this region due to some political conflicts.
Top Places In US
- Famous Mountain Resorts
Visiting any Famous Mountain Resorts of the World is an exclusive experience on ones life. Especially for those who are real risk taker and thriller, really want to do something exciting and different.
- Mount Rainier
The Mount Rainier is one of the largest summits of the world. Situated in the Pierce County, 54 miles southeast of Seattle, Washington USA, the Mount Rainier is found towering the Cascade Range.
- Famous National Parks In US and World
Nature has blessed us with so many beautiful things and breathtaking sites. The whole Earth is filled with such diverse animal and plant life.
- The Great Smoky Mountains Vacation
You are planning to head for vacations than do plan to visit Great Smoky Mountains this time. The Great Smoky Mountains national park is in Tennessee and is part of Appalachian highlands.
- Walt Disney Theme Parks In US and World
Disneyland went on to be converted into one of the majority well-liked theme parks in the globe.
- Uranium: Large uranium deposits are also present in this plateau. In 1950s, there was boom of Uranium in this region.
- Gilsonite/Uintatite: Gilsonite found in the region of Colorado plateau is one of its kind. The gilsonite’s plant is near bonanza, Utah and southeast of Vernal. This gilsonite is use in varnishes, paints, inks, waterproofing materials and compounds, electrical insulation and roofing materials.
- Oil Shale: Large deposits of oil shale are also in this plateau, but still waiting for taping out.
Scenic Beauty Of Colorado Plateau
Colorado plateau, this region of United States is truly appealing. Its natural beauty is something beyond the capture of camera.
This region’s basins have many diversified landforms and landscapes. There are beautiful rivers, rugged plateaus and canyons, SlotMountains and desert landscapes. Beauty of this plateau attracts the tourist and exceeds the tourism for all four adjoining regions more than any other state of United States.
Protected Lands of Colorado Plateau
There are many historical and national parks and national monument parks present in Colorado plateau.
Many of the area having cliffs, mountains, arcs, arroyos, canyons, national bridges, historical remains and many other natural beauties are protected by Government of United states of America.
In North America, the concentration of parks is highest in this region. The national parks includes following parks:
- Chaco cultural and historical park.
- Mesa verde national park.
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park.
- Arches National Park.
- Canyonland National Park.
- Capitol Reef National Park
- Bryce Canyon National Park
- Zion National Park
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Petrified Forest National Park
There are many national monuments are also in Colorado plateau. Some of them are as following:
- Aztec Ruins National Park.
- Canyons of Ancient National monument.
- Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
- El Morro National Monument.
- Rainbow Bridge National Monument.
- Sunset crater national monument
- Walnut Canyon National Monument.
The Bryce Canyon
More by this Author
Mountains have always fascinated mankind. Their glorious heights, slopes and slippery features and stony structures have always been so captivating and intriguing. There's no wonder that people always wanted to know...
When Eiffel Tower was inaugurated on March 31, 1889, nobody had imagined that this elaborate structure of steel would become France's national symbol and the most recognised icon of the modern age. The construction was...
History is full of legends that still mystify and entertain. These legends come from cultures all over the world. Some are held as strong beliefs, while others have faded away with time. The...