The Spiritual and Travel Appeal of Rajgir, Bahir, India
There are two different reasons that a traveler may be drawn to visit the Indian city of Rajgir in the state of Bahir. One is that the area has warm water ponds which are said to be restorative healing centers where many people come for medicinal rejuvenation vacations. The other is because the area is associated with several different religions and is considered to be a sacred place by many different people.
Health and Travel in Rajgir
Rajgir is a place that many people travel to for the alternative healing opportunities that may be experienced there. There are warm springs / hot springs in the area which are believed to have healing powers. There are also now several retreats near these hot springs designed specifically to appeal to travelers interested in this aspect of the region. The most common time to travel here is during the winter but visitors may come at any time of the year.
Spiritual Associations with Rajgir
There are several different religions which city Rajgir as an ancient place of spiritual importance. Three of these religions are Buddhism, Hinduism and Jainism. There are many different religious monuments which one might visit in this area if this aspect of the region is what draws you to this part of India.
Sites of Interest
People who are interested in visiting some of the most famous sites in the area will want to put the following locations on their itinerary:
- Bimbisara's Jail. This is just a set of ruins that are related to the history of Buddhism in the area and which are of interest to people traveling there today who are familiar with this history.
- Chariot Route. There appear to be remnants of where the land here was once destroyed by chariot races; these provide an interesting bit of historical attraction for visitors today.
- Jivakarama. This is a Buddhist monastery which was donated to the Buddha by the greatest living doctor during his time. As such this is a site which has religious importance and is also of interest to those people coming to learn about the medicine in the area.
- Tapodarama. This is another hot springs site that has religious significance. It has been associated with different aspects of religious history throughout time but now stands as a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi.
- Venuvana. This is a bamboo grove that was given to the Buddha and is a historic site marking the first ever Buddhist monastery. It is currently a place of healing and includes hot springs that people go to visit to this day.
- Vulture's Peak. This is a famous hill in Rajgir which is reported to be the site of many important events experienced by the Buddha. There is now a modern temple located at the top of the hill which can be reached via chairlift by visitors interested in seeing it.
People who are in the area are also going to want to visit the following places located just outside of Rajgir:
- Kundalpur. This is a site of historic importance to the Jain religion. There are over sixty temples located here today so it's certainly a sight to see. There are also statues to see.
- Nalanda. This is an ancient university in Bahir which was important to the education of Buddhism in the area over time. It is a site which is frequently visited today because of its social, cultural and religious influence in the area.
Who Should Visit Rajgir
A trip to this area isn't for everyone. However, it's an amazing experience for those people who are interested in the religions of this area. It is particularly a special place for people immersed in Buddhism who want to see some of the historic sites associated with the religion. Additionally, it is a great trip for people interested in the alternative healing powers in this part of the world. It is best as a vacation area for people who are already familiar with travel to more commonly-visited places in India.
- Rajgir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Destinations :: Rajgir ::Bihar State Tourism Development Corporation
- Rajgir,Rajgir India,Rajgir Buddhist Pilgrimage
- Pictures, Photos of Rajgir, India
- budhist destinations in India -Rajgir -the capital of the powerful ...
- India Tourism | Rajgir
- INDIAN TRAVEL PORTAL
- Rajgir Travel Guide,Rajgir India Travel,Information Guide on ...
More by this Author
Learn about a bunch of fun things you can do at the beach besides just swim.
San Francisco is a city of hills. In fact, there are more than forty hills in the approximately fifty square miles that make up this gorgeous city. The thing that people really love about the hills is that the top of a...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.