The experiences of my trip to Trimbakeshwar and Shirdi (Part 1)

Our trip to Trimbakeshwar (or simply 'Trimbak') and Shirdi wasn’t properly planned. Or maybe it was, but I was quite unaware about it. I only heard my parents talk about it a few days ago. I had got a reservation for myself and my family members in a train to Bhopal for 20th of august because I was to return to Indore to resume my college studies after the summer vacations. 21st of august was my birthday. We took the train from Rewa, my hometown at 8:00 p.m. on 20/08/11. After travelling overnight on my birthday, we reached Bhopal the next morning at 6:45 a.m. While in the train; I was, as usual, awake at night. But this time I was waiting for anyone to wish me first on my birthday. I kept looking at my watch, waiting for sharp 12:00 a.m. but no one wished me at sharp 12:00 a.m., even though my own family members were sleeping just below in the lower berths of the compartment. I got a bit sad, because it had been years when anyone had wished me at sharp 12:00 a.m. on my birthday. Anyways, it wasn’t a big deal, so I gave up the thought of getting wished and remained awake, while the train sped between the green rain-fed fields enlightened under the clear moonlit sky. Later at 12:36 a.m., I looked at my cell phone. One of my friends had texted me a cute birthday-wishing-message about two minutes ago. I happily replied him a ‘thank-you-so-much-dear’ message and went to sleep at 1:00 a.m. when I woke up in the morning at 6:00 a.m., my nostrils were blocked and i was unable to breath properly due the cold I caught because of the chilling wind that was peeping in all night from the sides of the train’s window panes. The train reached Bhopal railway station at 6:45 a.m. We came out of the station and took a sleeper bus to Indore. At around 7:15 a.m., we were on our way to Indore. On the way I got a lot of text messages and calls from my relatives and friends who wished me for my birthday. Here, one thing I must not forget to appreciate is the Bhopal-Indore highway. It is undoubtedly one of the best roads in India, where we don’t usually get to see proper roads. This highway is so nice, that you won’t even know when the 200 kilometers ended. Add to this, are the beautiful scenes outside. It was a fine sunny morning. Almost everyone inside the bus was sleeping, including my own family members, but I was looking outside the bus window. Being tired of the journey, I too was struggling hard to remain awake, but I didn’t want to miss those awesome scenes. Somehow, I don’t know when, but I fell asleep. The bus stopped somewhere at 9:45 am at a ‘Dhaba’ for about 15 minutes. Everyone got out for having breakfast. I took ‘Poha’ and ‘Jalebi’, the famous Malwa snacks. At 10:00 a.m. the bus was again running at the blackish gray asphalt floor. Luckily, this time I was awake for the best part of the journey – to look at the windmills on a small hill of ‘Dewas’ district. The cluster of those bright spinning windmills looks so beautiful, that I never want to miss having a look at it; no matter I’ve seen them several times. The bus reached Indore around 11:30 a.m. and we reached our home near 12:00 o’clock, where my sister was waiting for us. She had bought me a birthday present – a nice white cotton T-shirt. The remaining time of the day we spent indoors, while in the evening, my father and elder brother went to get our bus tickets to Nasik (or Nashik). The next morning, I went to meet some of my friends and made a casual visit to my favorite places in Indore.

We took our bus to Nasik the same day from ‘Navlakha’ bus stand of Indore at about 6:45 p.m. on 22/08/11. Me and my brother got settled in the upper sleeper compartment and started looking outside the window. The scene outside was so beautiful, the sun was setting slowly, leaving behind the horizon with a pinkish-orange tint. Soon we reached the outskirts of the city and the sky grew darker. We took our dinner at a ‘dhaba’ around 9:00 p.m., where the bus had stopped for half an hour. Again the bus started running and I fell asleep at 12:45 a.m. I saw my cell phone catching other state’s network signal and going under roaming mode near 11:00 p.m. I knew that we have entered Maharashtra.

The 'Kunda' of Trymbakeshwar
The 'Kunda' of Trymbakeshwar
show route and directions
A markerTrimbak, Maharashtra, India -
Trimbak, Maharashtra, India
[get directions]

The Trimbak district of Maharashtra, the house of the Trimbakeshwar pilgrim.

B markertrimbakeshwar temple, trimbak , maharashtra, India -
Trimbakeshwar, Trimbak, Nasik, Trimbak, Maharashtra, India
[get directions]

The Trimbakeshwar temple in the Trimbak district of Maharashtra, India

We reached Nasik around 4:30 in the morning. Nasik is a city in the state of Maharashtra in the western part of the country. The bus dropped us at a solitary bus stop inside the city and went away for its next stoppage. After enquiring a bit from the only people that were present there at the moment, we came to know that we can get a bus to Trimbakeshwar from the ‘Purana (old) bus stand’. We were six people, so we took two ‘autorickshaws’ to the ‘Purana bus stand’ of Nasik. We reached the bus stand in 20 minutes the autorickshaws charged us a total of 80 rupees. Then we took an MHRTC bus to Trimbakeshwar, which charged us Rs. 30 per head. That means a total of Rs. 180 for the six of us. With their old- looking structural design and ripped reddish-maroon paint, the MHRTC buses look more like the fire-brigade vehicles. We settled on our seats inside the bus and we were on our way to Trimbakeshwar around 5:10 a.m. Trimbakeshwar is nearly 30 kilometers away from Nasik and I think after every one or two hours, a bus is available for Trimbakeshwar at a really affordable price. I had never heard about this place before, so I didn’t know what sort of a place it could be. But on the way, I got the idea very soon, by looking outside the bus window at the beautiful dense green hills partially visible behind the fog in the chilling August dawn. I realized that I am going to miss a lot without my camera. I was only with my cell phone’s camera. We reached Trimbakeshwar in 45 minutes. Trimbakeshwar is a small town located amidst the Brahmgiri hills. When we stepped out of the bus at the Trimbakeshwar bus stand, we came to witness an immensely beautiful scene in that awesome weather. All around the place were lush green hills covered with clouds that looked like soft cotton flakes. We did breakfast and headed towards the ‘Kunda’ to take the holy bath. I thought that the ‘Kunda’ will be something like an open pond with ‘Ghats’ to take bath. But the ‘Kunda’ was actually was actually an enclosed reservoir of water with stone corridors on three sides and the fourth side open for the entrance of the general public. From all the four sides, there were few steps that ended inside the water of the ‘Kunda’. The whole Kunda compound was approximately 20 m long and 20 m wide. From where the water was touching the stairs, about 5 m away was an enclosed area, which was covered with thick iron rods that were engraved into the Kunda with warning signboards that read that nobody was allowed to enter that enclosed part of the Kunda because of the depth of the water. We took a quick bath on the initial steps of the Kunda and got ready for the Darshan in the Trimbakeshwar temple.

More to come in Part-2 of this hub! :)

More by this Author


No comments yet.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.

    Click to Rate This Article