Things to do in Mackinaw Island Michigan
Mackinaw island is one of the top tourism destinations for islands in North America. Mackinaw island is 4.4 square miles in area and located in lake huron just north of Mackinaw bridge that connects between the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan. The island is accessible only by ferries, and private boats. No personal motorized vehicles are allowed on the island. Many people travel by bike, horse, carriage and walk. These travelers use an 8 mile road that circles the island. The island is famous for fudge shops, biking, hiking, carriage tours, museum and old time trolley. Here are some exciting and fun things to do in Mackinac Island, Michigan with your family and kids will have a lot of fun in the outdoors too.
Top 10 things to do in Mackinaw island, Michigan
1. Mackinac Island carriage tours: One of the fun things to do in Mackinac Island is to visit the natural beauty of Mackinaw island and see the legendary points of interest than by horse carriage. The tour time is about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Be sure to get your camera for some wonderful pictures of the island.
2. Fort Mackinaw: Fort mackinaw is a wonderful historic tourism attraction. It is built by the British and American military and located on a limestone bluff 150 feet above the town and contains 14 original buildings and informative displays.
3. Lilac festival: You can see 100 year old lilac tree in bloom. They brought to the island by early settlers, offering quiet a magical experience.
4. Biking: Bicycle rentals are available near the downtown area. They also offer electric carts and strollers for those who prefer a leisurely ride around the town.
5. Mackinaw island butterfly house: The Mackinaw island butterfly house is the third oldest butterfly house in the United states. The tropical garden is filled with hundreds of live butterflies of various size and color. Kids love to see this butterfly house.
Mackinac Island information
6.Soo locks boat tour: One of the top attractions in Mackinaw island. You can plan a day trip to sault Ste. marie and ride through the soo locks, right along the big ships. The soo locks offers a beautiful park, museum and boat tours.
7. The grand hotel: Grand hotel is a popular summer weekend getaway from Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago and Detroit. The Grand Hotel features 385 uniquely decorated guest rooms and also has the longest porch in the world.
8. Thunder falls water park: Experience the wild and wet adventures at thunder falls family water park in mackinaw city, Michigan. Thunder falls features 20 acres of thrills. It is fun for all ages.
9. Mackinaw state historic parks: Mackinaw state historic parks includes seven history parks and museum. Fort mackinaw, historic downtown, Mackinaw island state park, colonial michilimackinac, historic mill creek, old mackinac point light house and michilimackinac state park.
10. Kewadin casinos: kewadin casinos offers vegas style gaming and lots of fun. Kewadin casinos has slots, blackjack, poker, craps, roulette, bingo and live keno action.
- Things to do in Ann Arbor with kids
Ann Arbor has plenty of fun activities to do with kids around the city...
- Places to see in Detroit
Detroit attractionsSome of the places to see in Detroit include institute of arts, comerica park, henry ford museum, motown historic museum and detroit zoo. Detroit is home to American league champion...
- Top 10 Things to do in Toronto
Toronto is Canada's largest city and is situated on the north shore of lake Ontario. Toronto has a number of live entertainment venues, art galleries, annual cultural events, sports,...
- Things to do in Cincinnati
Cincinnati attractions Cincinnati is Ohios second largest metro area and located in the southwest region of Ohio. Here you can find number of interesting festivals including Cincinnati wine festivals,...
- Best Beaches in Georgia
- Top Things to do in Minneapolis
- Top Things to do in New York City
- Best Beaches in Virginia
- Top 10 Things to do in San Francisco
- Things to do in San Juan Islands
There are plenty of fun and exciting things to do in San Juan Islands which ...
- Best Beaches in North Carolina
- Things to do in Boston
- Top Five Beaches in Traverse City Michigan
- Activities to do in Frankenmuth, Michigan
- Things to do in Singapore
- Top Ten Places To Visit In Seattle - part I
My list of top 10 places to visit in Seattle of course starts with the magnificent Space needle and ends with...
- Mackinaw island tourist information
More by this Author
India has some of the greatest longest largest beaches, though most of them are not clean and they are polluted. If you look for it, you can still find some beautiful and finest beaches all over the vast peninsular...
Traverse city is proud to be America's cherry capital. It celebrates that heritage every year during the week of july with an eight day party featuring over 150 family activities including fireworks, air shows, games,...
A simple way to solve the Nutribullet locking or jamming problem that lets the container jar latch again smoothly.