This is Texas-It's not suppose to get cold in Texas?
When It Freezes-The Whole Town Freezes Too
Artic Blast in South Texas? Say What? No Way!
Who knew that there was actually cold weather in San Antonio? Forecasters are saying, San Antonio is expected to drop into the low 20’s, while the Hill Country is expected to be in the teens. They are calling this the Artic Blast 2010. For people in Southern Texas, heat is the norm, artic winds from up north dropping temperatures dramatically-we don’t have the same know how to deal with.
We just had a horribly hot summer, breaking records of how many days we hit temperatures over 100. Besides being hot-it was exceptionally dry. Medina Lake in Pipe Creek/ Mico Texas is 38 feet low, even after the storms and showers that we received in the fall.
Go figure, this wacky weather would continue through the 'winter' months and bring us an Artic Blast-blazing through, with winds up to 40mph. This is Texas-Texans don’t know what to do when it is this cold. We don’t go outside, we don’t even consider going to work, and if we did consider work, we couldn’t get there, because the entire city shuts down. We don’t know how to drive on ice or snow, do not own a set of snow tires, don't own heavy winter coats, but we are Texans and we deal, so what we do is this;
- We sit inside our homes-attempt to remember the stories grandpa use to tell us about starting a fire in a fireplace-but end up Goggling it because we cant figure it out and have already filled the entire house up with smoke.
- We sit around complaining about how darn cold it is outside.
- We buy out every hardware store within 200 miles of de-icer/ rock salt or anything else that looks like it may help us- just in case we MUST go outside.
- We pile on layer upon layer of clothing-until we can barely move-then remember we are inside at home, and we do have a heater, we just aren’t sure if it works.
- We think about taking the kids out but cant even if we wanted to-because every road from here to anywhere is closed (like I said Texans don’t drive in Ice or Snow).
- We stand inside our homes at our windows with our camera’s in-hand, snapping photos of the unfamiliar sites that an actual winter offers but don’t dare to actually go exploring (way too cold for us).
- We speak of warmer days as if we are going to be leaving for heaven tomorrow and need to remember the good times we had in this now frigid state.
- If it snows in the middle of the night, everyone in the area will be sleep deprived from waking up at 2am to witness the historic event (which will now be talked about every year; 'How we survived the ‘Artic Blast of 2010')…
- Finally, what does San Antonio, Texas do when it gets cold? Not a damn thing, except watch the News and if the News is taking a break-we watch the Weather Channel.
This is Texas-We don’t know nuttin' bout no Snow Tires or Snowball Fights…
(Good thing I'm from New Jersey-I love this weather!)
If you are a fan of Texas-Check These Out!
- The Beauty of San Antonio Texas
Sometimes when you live somewhere, you forget how beautiful your surroundings really are. People are always telling me how wonderful the sites in San Antonio and surrounding areas are. The ones who say such...
- The Best Of Texas
I am sure that every state out there has something to offer tourists and residents alike. But if you havent been to Texas-you havent seen nothing yet. There is a grocery list of all that there is to...
More by this Author
Everyone has heard the saying, Men are Dogs. But have you ever really considered the similarities between Men and Dogs, I have...
Redheaded individuals have so many different personas that are attached by the hair. What is true? What is false? What have you not heard yet? Keep Reading and learn the answer to the question; What is it about Redheads?
Please take a moment to look at the faces of missing children-if it was your child or if it was a story of you and someone you love-you would hope that someone someday would know they have seen one of these faces...